Rare questions

Talk about the original Donkey Kong Country for SNES and VC.
The ports can be discussed in the DKC Ports (GBC, GBA) subforum.

Rare questions

Postby rainbowsprinklez » August 16th, 2022, 1:24 am

If you all could ask Rare anything about DKC1, what would it be?

I would like to know if 'X to Fly' was ever a beta feature, as seen in the cursed cart pichi has.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Re: Rare questions

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 10th, 2023, 6:27 am

Is there a video of this? I would love to see it!
:parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » March 10th, 2023, 7:10 am

I'd ask why there's a DK head on the main world map that Donkey quickly leaves when we start a new game, and I also wonder why only DKC1's Two-Player Team mode keeps track of how many levels each player has finished. That mode is also listed after Two-Player Contest for some reason, so that could be a third question.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 10th, 2023, 9:05 am

Why do jumprolls and sjrs work?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby rainbowsprinklez » March 12th, 2023, 2:33 am

WesternTanager794 wrote:Why do jumprolls and sjrs work?

I don't think that's a question Rare could definitively answer. I assume they can only speculate, seeing as how both are glitches and weren't explicitly programmed in.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 12th, 2023, 6:18 am

Ok, got it! Is there a speculative answer out there? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby rainbowsprinklez » March 12th, 2023, 9:06 am

WesternTanager794 wrote:Ok, got it! Is there a speculative answer out there? :parry:

We can only speculate, but the agreed-upon explanation for the jr is when you bounce and roll through an enemy on the same frame, magic ensues. For the sjr, that just combines two glitches. The super jump, and the jumproll. Do you want more info on the superjump (sj)?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 12th, 2023, 1:36 pm

Yes that would be great! Thank you! I have a JR theory, but I’m not going to post it until I finish formulating it. SJs, I’ve always thought had to do something with a long taking damage and shooting up! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 12th, 2023, 2:10 pm

That is I can do one, but I don’t know why they work. SJRs and SJs is what I’m referring to. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby rainbowsprinklez » March 13th, 2023, 12:37 am

WesternTanager794 wrote:Yes that would be great! Thank you! I have a JR theory, but I’m not going to post it until I finish formulating it. SJs, I’ve always thought had to do something with a long taking damage and shooting up! :parry:

You are right, it's the shooting up that does it. There's this var that a kong has that the game uses. It is added to y speed every frame B is held AND you are in the right animation. On getting a new kong, this var is not cleared.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 13th, 2023, 5:13 am

Thanks for the explanation, Rainbow Sprinklez! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Mattrizzle » March 14th, 2023, 2:24 am

I would ask the following:
  • Why is Kongo Jungle the only map to have bends in its paths between levels? (I know the technical reason is that each of these bends have to be assigned a level ID. These IDs have special checks in code so that they can't be stopped on, don't show a name or icon, and can't be entered in most cases. The warp bug occurs because the latter check fails if you press the button at certain frames.)
  • In the data, there are prerendered sprites of Donkey Kong doing a jump kick or leapfrogging move. In what scenario would these be used?
  • Cranky has unused sprites for walking outside of his rocking chair in the data. What scenario were these intended for? Was it always the intent from the beginning to have him appear after defeating a boss, as in the Game Boy Advance remake? Also, since these sprites exist, why weren't they used in the cast roll sequence in place of Cranky sliding across the screen in his rocking chair?
  • Why does Cranky have hints for levels in all worlds in the data despite only ever giving you hints for the first world, Kongo Jungle? (Again, I know the technical reason for this)
  • Why are there so many unused alternate color schemes for Kritter, Klap-Trap and Zinger? Were more varieties of these enemies planned?
  • Why was Puftup (the Pufferfish who later appeared in DKC2) removed from DKC1? Were Mincers (the giant indestructible studded tires) in the water level Poison Pond late-development substitutes for them?
  • Was Necky's Nutmare (an extra cave level appearing in the final world, Chimp Caverns, in the Game Boy Color remake) designed for the Super Nintendo version of the game? If so, why was it scrapped, and if not, why did the GBC version's developers create an extra level?
  • (A Gregg Mayles question) Did any unused levels get sketched layouts on sticky notes? If so can we see them if you still have them?
  • Do any scrapped level types exist for DKC1? I heard that volcano levels were meant to appear in DKC1. Is this true, and were there any others?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby VideoViking » March 14th, 2023, 4:07 am

I would basically ask Mayles if there were any plans to feature human characters as enemies in any DKC game. I know that Mario was gonna be one, but Nintendo didn't want another inversion; it already happened in Donkey Kong Jr.

And hey, since it's Rare: were there any talks or considerations about a Killer Instinct crossover with Mortal Kombat following its success in the arcades?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 14th, 2023, 7:03 am

I like all of your questions, Mattrizzle! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 20th, 2023, 5:21 am

why are there pre rendered sprites of dk doing a jump kick

These were later used to produce the dk64 glitch! :diddywink: :parry:
Sage of Discovery