TV shows that were once great but now are lame

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

TV shows that were once great but now are lame

Postby aperson98 » March 20th, 2010, 6:43 am

Have you guys ever watched any TV show you once loved but can't stand the sight of them anymore because of the declining quality and writing on the show well I have one.

Family Guy
Peter Griffin, Season 1- lovable, funny, and dumb fat guy. Now- Unlikeable, unfunny, and just very annoying. Brian, Season 1- a smart clever dog with some clever remarks. Now-Mostly the same but some disturbing interactions with human females ewww.
Stewie, Season 1- A clever evil genius bent on taking over the world. Now- A bad gay stereotype. Meg and Chris, Season 1- Kids with problems all TV teens have. Now- Kids that are unluckier then Daffy Duck fighting with Bugs on what hunting season it is. Jokes, Season 1 Outrageous, funny. Now- Outrageous, offensive, and unfunny.

Any shows you think jumped the shark?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Re: TV shows that were once great but now are lame

Postby Jomingo » March 21st, 2010, 2:47 am

Well, first of all, I prefer the new Family Guy, but not because it's better; I can see that the shows overall writing has gone downhill. But I like it anyway. Whenever I want a quick laugh over something stupid and overly ridiculous, I can trust family guy. It's definitely not the show I watch when I want to become invested in the characters and storyline, that would be shows like Futurama and King of the Hill.

As for shows that have gone downhill, I'm going to say Pokemon. I don't know if it's just me or not, but I can't stand to watch the show anymore. The animation just looks so... off.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby BlueTronic » March 21st, 2010, 5:02 am

Spongebob. :cry:

After Hillenburg stepped down as executive producer, the show kind of lost its soul. The new guy had his moments though. :lol:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 21st, 2010, 8:11 am

See, in my opinion, shows usually get better as they go on... I can't really think of many shows that have deteriorated in quality, per se. I was thinking maybe The Office, but upon watching some recent episodes it's still as good as it's always been.

I do agree about SpongeBob, though. It still has occasional moments.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby aperson98 » March 21st, 2010, 8:38 am

Yeah I feel ya Kong-Fu Spongebob was once one of my favorite cartoons when it was in it's prime now not so much. I think one of the problems with the show now besides poorer writing is the fact they took the worst traits of the main cast and made 2X worse Spongebob is now inhumanly annoying rather then just a little, Squidward doesn't care about anything anymore instead of just not caring about Spongebob,
And Mr.Krabs is too obviously cheap when it used to be much more sutble.

As for Pokemon well this video shows just how I feel about the show though it's about the first movie.http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol ... -the-movie
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby BlueTronic » March 21st, 2010, 10:38 am

Actually, what I meant was it's not as funny anymore. The characters' personality seem fine to me. But every once in a while there are a few episodes just as good as Hillenburg's, for example:

Wishing You Well
Krusty Towers
Rule of Dumb
The Gift of Gum
The Two Faces of Squidward
Stanly S. Squarepants
No Nose Knows
Boating Buddies
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby The Guy » March 22nd, 2010, 7:44 am

Roller Cowards and Suction Cup Symphony were also good.
Veteran Venturer

Postby aperson98 » March 26th, 2010, 10:09 am

Yeah there are a few good episodes in Spongebob's later seasons the problem is there is also a good bit of boring ones. Does anybody think SpongeBob got a little too creepy in later seasons I mean when you watch your so-called friend (Squidward) all night sleeping to share the sunrise with that is not funny that is creepy.

Same rule can go to Family Guy in it's 2009-2010 seasons I actually like most of the episode run from 2005-2008.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby Kimi Kong » June 20th, 2010, 2:32 pm

I'LL TELL YOU NOW!!!

POKE'MON AND YU-GI-OH WENT FROM AWESOME TO WORSE!!!!

I loved the first couple of seasons of both shows, but then they started making more Poke'mon and Yu-gi-oh cards and made more seasons and it became so unoriginal.

AND NOW I CAN'T BARE TO WATCH EITHER OF THE SHOWS UNLESS ITS THE ORIGINAL EPISODES, WHICH I JUST RECENTLY DISCOVERED THAT THE FIRST SEASON OF POKE'MON IS NOW ON BOOMERANG. :x
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 136

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 20th, 2010, 3:36 pm

I agree somewhat on the Pokémon thing. But I just picked back up on it this season, and I must say:

1. Brock sucks.
2. Misty needs to come back.
3. Ash and Dawn should f*ck.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby The Guy » June 21st, 2010, 11:04 am

^ I laughed at the last one.

Yeah, don't forget about Team Rocket. I've heard that they have down-graded to the level of success that Scratch and Grounder had in AoStH, except that I've heard that they're just annoying and for unknown reasons Giovanni hasn't fired them yet...
Veteran Venturer

Postby DK4Ever » June 21st, 2010, 11:52 am

Well, they changed the old motto to something not quite as good in my opinion, it just doesn't have the same ring, but actually, I think the series has gotten quite a bit better with the 4th gen seasons, honestly.

I feel like it isn't as corny or nonsensical as it was in the first couple seasons, and they aren't going for the "ZOMG levels/type advantages" crap they were going for in the 3rd gen seasons. Ugh, that annoyed the hell out of me!
Treasure Hunter

Postby Soniccuz » July 28th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Personally I never got over the voice change when they traded companies everyone sounds like bad imitations of their old voices.

I've heard that they're just annoying and for unknown reasons Giovanni hasn't fired them yet...

I recall him saying once that for all intents and purposes they are fired ... he just hasn't bothered to send them the memo. xD
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby aperson98 » August 9th, 2010, 2:03 am

Soniccuz wrote:Personally I never got over the voice change when they traded companies everyone sounds like bad imitations of their old voices.

I've heard that they're just annoying and for unknown reasons Giovanni hasn't fired them yet...

I recall him saying once that for all intents and purposes they are fired ... he just hasn't bothered to send them the memo. xD

Hmm, wonder how they feed themselves then? I am pretty sure they do not get paychecks anymore. I just got a thought on a TV show that just doesn't work anymore Scooby Doo. The early cartoon despite being corny had its moments, but
nowadays the new stuff they show is just....boring. Maybe if they gave Fred the personality of Ash Williams the show would be fun to watch.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby Phyreburnz » August 18th, 2010, 8:04 am

I love the old Simpsons episodes, but the new ones suck. Also, the first season of Look Around You was awesome, but the second was lame. Also, South park kinda sucked at the beginning, grew to awesome, and then down to suck... It really sucks because it was so edge-y and now, it's really not.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Funkythemainmonkey » April 5th, 2011, 1:42 pm

The Simpsons. Used to be a landmark, but now a failure! I even enjoy family guy more than that!
Tourist

Postby Katzii » April 5th, 2011, 4:52 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:Also, the first season of Look Around You was awesome, but the second was lame.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one to realise this.

Simpsons is definitely there on my list.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Soniccuz » April 6th, 2011, 3:14 pm

aperson98 wrote:

Hmm, wonder how they feed themselves then? I am pretty sure they do not get paychecks anymore.

They've always had money issues even before they lost complete credibility as villains. Speaking of which
I actually find it hard to pin point where it was that they actually did lose that credibility. Heck, they were falling into their own traps as early that the 4 episode. Were they ever legitimate threats? It's hard to believe they lost it when the bar was so low to begin with. :|
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Markster » May 3rd, 2011, 7:40 am

South Park, i liked the old ones, from Season 1 through Season 6, Season 4 was my favorite, and all i got to say is i don't like the newer ones, also another one is Spongebob, i liked season 1-3, 4 started to get down hill, but 5 and 6 finished the down hilling, one that i absolutely hated was the one where spongebob had all seeing eyes on his hat, thats f***ing illuminati, there trying to brainwash children!!!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 4th, 2011, 7:18 am

Yeah. I agree with the SpongeBob thing. In fact SpongeBob used to be pretty freaking awesome, but it has been plagued with Illuminati symbolism lately (and whether or not anyone here believes in the existence of the Illuminati, you still can't deny that the symbolism exists.)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Return to Anything Goes