No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Postby Tiptup Jr. » January 27th, 2010, 12:11 pm

Alright guys, I saw this last night in 3D and I don't think anyone's brought it up around here- I just posted a review on Facebook, and I thought I might as well share it with you guys too. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks about this movie as well!

Tiptup Jr. wrote:My Thoughts on James Cameron's Avatar

So last night I saw the movie Avatar in 3D. You know, Avatar, the film that literally everyone is talking about and is well on its way to out-grossing Titanic. That's the one.

I'm just gonna come out and say it: I was not impressed. It's almost considered a mortal sin to say it, but yes. I did not care for Avatar. To me, the big hook was its graphical presentation... I won't deny that it was a memorable three-dimensional experience. The comfortable and all-too-familiar alien jungle scenes did feel rather cozy when sitting in that theater, and the CGI characters blended with the live-action cast quite well. Dozens of battle ships and space craft are portrayed as well, and they look great; especially when they're blowing up.

But then they got ahead of themselves. There isn't a remotely coherent plot to be found anywhere in the film; it's all blue space cats, giant trees, exploding things and astronauts in wheelchairs. While these elements could seem interesting in the right context, they're just not. The film completely fails to construct a decent, followable story with a beginning, middle, and end. Scenes switch around too much and with the 3D glasses the explosive on-screen events are often just a headache to watch.

Now granted, this doesn't make it an inherently "bad" film- it had sex, aliens, and cool explosions, after all- but in the end I think the film's success is mostly just based on hype. Admit it, you've heard about Avatar a million times from your friends and seen how great it is on the Internet or TV countless times. It's not a matter of time before almost every person on the planet goes to see Avatar- Fox has put the populace in a mindset of "this movie's great, if you don't see it and love it you suck." Heck, even I'm guilty of it- at skewl today I told various people I had seen Avatar in 3D for the sole purpose of soliciting a positive response, which, in every single case, it did. People are just automatically tuned to that "Avatar is awesome" mode and it ticks me off.

So, while in my opinion it wasn't the greatest film of all time, it certainly wasn't the worst- I actually would recommend that anyone who hasn't done so already go out and purchase tickets to a 3D screening. But remember to do so with an open mind. And, as I did, I'm sure you'll walk out of the theater with a more enlightened view of Avatar than the rest of the world... Nothing's perfect, and that applies to movies like Avatar as well.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby The Guy » January 29th, 2010, 7:20 am

I'm sure if I saw it I wouldn't like it...

Also, good luck with the fans...
Veteran Venturer

Postby Gnawzooka » January 29th, 2010, 5:12 pm

How is the plot not coherent? It's very simple and predictable. :|
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Return to Anything Goes