The Future is upon us

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Re: The Future is upon us

Postby Tiptup Jr. » January 5th, 2010, 10:48 am

Eh... very mixed on this. Wouldn't saying "Trunk, open" to a voice-sensing car door be simpler than connecting your arms to a potentially hazardous series of wires and making unnecessary, awkward movements? Am I the only one worried about these sensors going berserk and seizing control of your bodily (or at least armular) functions? :?

I just can't see this being used practically. If you're too busy to play Guitar Hero and hold the guitar at the same time, you're too busy.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » January 5th, 2010, 12:01 pm

This is merely a prototype to show off the possibilities. First of all, this is just a set of sensors; they can't control your body functions. Next, someday when the technology is more fleshed out it will likely just detect tiny subconscious muscle movements and essentially control things with just your thoughts. I mean, if it can sense your muscle contractions then it can be trained to know when you want a specific action; and you will naturally learn how to make it perform this actions.

It's like typing; sure it's tedious to learn, but do you even think about what you're doing when you type? You think of the word you want to type and your finger does the movement. That's how I imagine this to turn out.

Obviously I don't expect this to replace all forms of physical control, but I do think it has a lot of applications in every day life.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tompa » January 6th, 2010, 4:55 am

As I thought, they are taking more and more steps away from a regular controller. Sure, this is "the only way" to keep on having new technology and stuff for video games. But I have always prefered a regular controller, such as the SNES one, and will always stay that way.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Jomingo » January 6th, 2010, 6:58 am

This proposed technology is not a prototype game controller; I've actually been under the impression that it was a new computer interface. I suppose the Guitar Hero would throw one off, but I think that that was just a way to show off the technology in a relevant way.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Return to Anything Goes