The Harry Potter Topic

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

The Harry Potter Topic

Postby Jomingo » July 16th, 2009, 3:32 pm

I am over whelmed with Harry Potter fanitude after the release of the long awaited 6th movie, and I feel like talking about Harry Potter.

NOTE: If anybody mentions anything whatsoever about Dumbledore's Sexuality, I will close the topic and give them a warning. I mean it. I don't care that he's gay, it doesn't take place in the novels or films, so it is completely irrelevant to Potter Canon and this topic, and therefore needs not be mentioned. There shall be no gay hating ranting to ruin my happy day. :x

NOTE AGAIN: This is an important one. This Topic is officially a Spoiler zone. That means that anything anybody says may or may not be a spoiler, and therefore there will be no spoiler tags in place. So if there is any book unread or movie unwatched, stop reading now because this topic will be so spoiler heavy it'll make your head spin.

So, with that being said, did anybody else see the movie?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: The Harry Potter Topic

Postby Gnawzooka » July 16th, 2009, 3:56 pm

No, not yet.
Actually I'm not sure its out yet here...
I've read the book though.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Jomingo » July 16th, 2009, 4:05 pm

Well, after the initial excitement has worn off, I'm actually feeling a little disappointed. They cut so much, and yet took up almost three hours. I feel like the put the movie into bullet points, without ever really fully explaining anything that was going on, and they also missed some rather significant plot lines. I almost feel happy that they are splitting the 7th film into two parts; perhaps they intentionally left some out of this so that they could more fully divulge things in the two part finale. I don't know, it just left me wanting so much more.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby DK4Ever » July 16th, 2009, 6:09 pm

I thought it was excellent. They kept it very close to the book.

They did add in alot of things I thought they would take out, (Aragog's Funeral, Snape's many conversations with Malfoy, Lavender Brown's entire act, the poison mead, the ENTIRE cove scene) and all that left me very happy.

The directing was also phenomenal, and the actors were amazing (Most notably Lavender's actor, Luna's actor, Slughorn, Malfoy, and of course, Snape (I ♥ you Alan Rickman!)

(I also, er..found Lavender extremely attractive..as well as Luna..again...but I digress :oops: )

THAT SAID;

They also left a great many plot-points out, which did leave me wanting more but I feel we should address them:

-The Gaunt Family - They were completely cut out, as well as Tom Riddle Sr. The only mention of them coming from Dumbledore when he incorrectly stated that the ring came from Voldemort's mother, when it actually belonged to Marvolo Gaunt his entire life, and then being taken by Morfin..and then taken by Voldemort...if I recall correctly..it has been a while since i read the books, after all.

- The Minister's Meeting - When Fudge meets with the muggle prime minister of britain, it sets up the plot, to an understandable level, pointing out all the terrible happenings, and the general situation. The beginning of the movie is a pretty good visual representation of this, but I don't think it captured it as well as the book's beginning did. It also, introduced the new minister of magic, which brings me to my next point.

- Rufus Scrimgeour - He was completely absent. There was no mention at all of him, Fudge, or any ministry personnel besides..well..Mr. Weasley. I was really disappointed..I wanted to see someone play his part... and he definitely could have come in when they went back to the burrow for Christmas..

- The Other Horcruxes - At the end of HBP (Book) Harry, Hermione and Ron have a total of 5 horcruxes worked out. The movie covers 3, the diary, the ring, and the locket. One of Harry's pensive visits revealed that Voldemort had a knack for collecting Hogwarts heirlooms..most notably, Hufflepuff's cup. And they had already guessed that Nagini was one. But, at least they set up the idea that there are 7, so they can't just leave any out or invent others, and have to bring in the cup and the idea that Nagini must be one in DH part 1 or 2 when they come out.

- Dumbledore's Funeral - As heart-warming as the scene where the entire school raises their wands to erase the dark mark over Hogwarts was, (and believed me, I almost cried man-tears) I really feel they should have done the funeral scene, to at least completely capture the sadness we all felt when Dumbledore was blasted off that tower when we read it, and it's after-effects (I always felt bad for Hagrid).

Anyway, that's how I felt about the movie. Yeah..I'm an HP geek..but...I don't care.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Jomingo » July 17th, 2009, 4:20 am

Yeah, I was really upset with how much they left out. I felt that they focussed on some of the lesser side plots(the romance, and Quidditch), which is great, but they completely left out some major plot lines that are pretty important.

-The Other Minister was left out, which (like you said) was a great way to fill everybody in on how the Death Eaters were definitely no longer in hiding and had been causing all sorts of trouble. It also introduced Rufus Scrimgeour, who was completely left out.
-They don't have Bellatrix questioning Snape's loyalty like in the book. It wasn't necessary, but it was a good way to convince everybody that Snape was definitely a bad guy right off the bat, which they just sorta skipped.
-Dumbledore isn't wearing the ring that scorched his hand. Also, the meeting with Dumbledore and the Dursley's in which he explains that Harry must return to Privet Drive one more time until his 17th birthday was cut. I thought that was important, because otherwise Harry probably wouldn't return if Dumbledore hadn't made that clear. Also, Dumbledore never tells Harry that Sirius left everything to him. This is important, because Kreacher and number 12 Grimauld Place become increasingly important in the final novel.
-They cut out so many memories, having only included two. The whole point was that they were regular "lessons" between Harry and Dumbledore, which happened on a very regular basis. They also cut out the entire Gaunt family, never explaining what the significance of the ring was(or that it belonged to Salazar Slytherin). Having never explained this, I don't know how they are going to figure out that three of the remaining horcruxes belonged to the remaining Hogwart's founders.
-The cut memories also are what lead them to believe that some of the remaining horcruxes were Hufflepuff's Cup, Slytherin's Locket, Nagini the Snake, and something of Ravenclaw and Gryffindor. Instead, they know only of the ring, diary, and locket.
-They hide Harry's "lucky" Potion's book in the Room of Requirement where Harry can't find it, whereas in the book Harry hides it in a spot that he could find it, and he only hid it so that he could keep it from Snape, rather than because he wanted to get rid of it.
-They never explain the significance of the cave in which the locket is hidden. They hint at it(the picture in Tom Riddle's bedroom), but it is never fully divulged why they are their.
-They never included the lessons in which everyone is learning to Apparate. I would've thought that important. Also, after the cave scene, in the book Harry apparates them back to hogsmeade, because Dumbledore is too weak. In the film, Dumbledore apparates them back.
Also, in the book they had to walk to hogsmeade to apparate because you can't apparate in the school, but in the movie they apparate right out of and into the school. And in the book they see the Dark Mark when they enter Hogsmeade, whereas in the movie the Dark Mark isn't made until after Dumbledore is dead.
-The part where Dumbledore dies was done way wrong. Dumbledore was supposed to put a spell on Harry so that he couldn't move, but in the movie, he just stands there and watches. I know he was following Dumbledore's orders, but Harry wouldn't have been able to just stand there and watch unless he was forced to by Dumbledore.
-I wish they would've included the part where Harry is telling an unbelieving Hagrid that Dumbledore is dead. It really showcased how utterly shocked everyone was that Dumbledore was actually dead.
-Finally, Dumbledore's funeral. I was shocked that this was cut, it was a very tear jerking scene. Also, the fact that Dumbledore was buried with his wand(which, unbeknownst to everyone else is the Elder Wand) is freaking SIGNIFICANT! How can they make the final movie if they cut out all these details that are so important to the ending!

All in all, this was not what I expected from the penultimate film. You definitely miss out on so much important information that is meant to be building up to the climax and ending of the series.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby DK4Ever » July 17th, 2009, 6:24 am

Y'know youre right Jo, I hadn't thought about Kreacher or Number 12, but maybe they'll have Mr. Weasley or Lupin tell Harry that at the beginning of the first part of movie 7.

But...who's going to dole out Dumbledore's Will if Scrimgeour isn't introduced? Or maybe he'll be introduced in 7.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Jomingo » July 17th, 2009, 7:22 am

It'd be a shame if they never introduce the Scrimgeour character. The scene at the burrow in which they get attacked and Scrimgeour is dead was sort of epic.

About Dumbledore's will though, I'm sure they can find somebody to do it if they don't introduce Scrimgeour. Perhaps Kingsley Shacklebolt, or Mr. Weasley.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » July 17th, 2009, 1:26 pm

I wasn't going to bother seeing the latest film (I never really got into the HP universe...), but I must say I too am quite fond of Luna. None of the other characters interest me much, but Luna is quite fascinating and lovely. Maybe it's worth checking out, if only to catch a glimpse of her again... ;)

Also, I've been playing board games with some friends lately, and a game series called 'SceneIt' has become a favourite of ours. One of the SceneIt games is based entirely on Harry Potter, so despite my indifference to the world of Harry, I may have to lurk in this topic occasionally to pick up some back story and character info!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » July 17th, 2009, 1:30 pm

I too am a fan of Scene-it, albeit, I don't own any Scene-it games but I am pretty interested in the concept.

Anyway, I was rather distraught today when I found out that both my copy of the Sorcerer's Stone and the Chamber of Secrets(the books) are missing. After further investigation I realized that my brother borrowed them some time ago, and I have yet to get them back. :evil:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby DK4Ever » July 17th, 2009, 7:12 pm

Going to use

Spoiler!
The Cruciatus curse on him Jo?

Oh wait that's illegal.

And I'm glad someone shares my like of Luna, Qyz. You really should look into them more, you might be more interested than you think. ;)
Treasure Hunter

Postby Tompa » July 17th, 2009, 8:56 pm

I'll just sum everything up with: I'm disappointed. The reasons should be obvious if you have read the book and know it perfectly well.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby CaptainEddie » August 2nd, 2009, 6:17 am

Geez, I thought I was the only person anywhere around me who actually likes Luna. Everybody I know thinks she's too wierd, but she's my favorite character. Although she doesn't get hardly any screentime in the new movie. I wonder if they'll even include the part where she gets kidnapped in the next movies?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Gnawzooka » August 2nd, 2009, 11:36 am

I saw it.

So much wasted potential...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the book, wasn't there a big battle in Hogwarts when all the Death Eaters came out of the closet?
In the movie, the cabinet actually served no purpose whatsoever. The Death Eaters came into the castle and then they.... left. :|
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Jomingo » August 2nd, 2009, 12:53 pm

You are only wrong on one count. The book did indeed contain a battle within Hogwarts. But the movie did actually have the Death Eaters being transported through the cabinet. There is a scene showing the Death Eaters coming through the cabinet into the Room of Requirement, and then it's also explained by Draco to Dumbledore in the scene atop the tower. So yeah, the cabinet had a purpose. I agree that it was disappointing that they just walked off the grounds without any resistance from the staff or students.

Gnawzooka wrote:...all the Death Eaters came out of the closet?...

l-o-l, in a satirical manner....
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Gnawzooka » August 2nd, 2009, 3:29 pm

Jomingo wrote:But the movie did actually have the Death Eaters being transported through the cabinet.

I know, but they didn't do anything once they got there. There was no point in them going through the cabinet other than smashing a few windows. The cabinet achieved nothing.
Whereas in teh book they actually started really messing things up with teh big fight and everything.
I mean seriously, it's the MOVIE, wouldn't it make more sense to have the big epic battle scenes IN the movie?
Gnawzooka wrote:...all the Death Eaters came out of the closet?...

l-o-l, in a satirical manner....

That was deliberate. :)
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Jomingo » August 3rd, 2009, 5:39 am

Oh, well, I think that their intention in the book was the same thing. They came into the school to help Draco kill Dumbledore, and then to help him escape. The only difference was that in the book, they met some interference in the form of the staff and students. Why would they have wanted to fight, besides, in the book they sustained more losses than the good side. One Death Eater died, and the only loss for the good guys was Bill getting scratched up a bit(and Dumbledore dying, but that wasn't in the fight). The Death Eaters didn't come to start a fight, they just came because Draco couldn't have done his duty on his own, and escaped at that.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Rodent » August 12th, 2009, 11:14 pm

Me and a friend walked out of the movie. I'm a mild HP fan, I've read all the books and seen the movies so far, but really... Halfway through it, it was just boring.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby CaptainEddie » August 13th, 2009, 7:39 am

Hmm. I thought it was the best movie so far, especially the soundtrack.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » August 13th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Really? You liked it? Did you read the books?

Oh, and nobody will top John Williams score of the first film. Ever. Duh duh, dadada, dahduh duh doo da da doo da dum....
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » August 13th, 2009, 2:05 pm

I have read the books. And this one was long. It took me a good few days to get through the whole thing. I understand where you guys are coming from, but personally I am just happy with the pretty visuals. What I'm saying is this: it was good enough.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Return to Anything Goes