Movie/TV Show Topic

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Re: Movie/TV Show Topic

Postby Gaz » November 8th, 2012, 6:05 am

Who here watches INVADER ZIM? It haunts your souls big time (or only Dark Harvest though...) :twisted: .
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Chibisai Kong » November 8th, 2012, 9:23 am

I LOVED Invader Zim!

Spoiler!
I watched Woman in Black yesterday. My first thought at the end was, "Well, this is new."
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Gaz » November 8th, 2012, 10:42 am

Note my username is named after Gaz, a character in Invader ZIM. Now I technically am Gaz when I am on here, Chibisai Kong. Hope you don't mind having a pizza loving girl on here.

Favorite Episode: Bloaty's Pizza Hog, Game Slave 2, Gaz, Taster of Pork (I get starring roles!)
Least Favorite: Dib's Wonderful Life of Doom

I hope it's okay to have me here (or another girl here).

Chibisai, what's your least favorite/favorite? I told mine.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Chibisai Kong » November 8th, 2012, 11:07 am

Gosh, it's been a while since I've seen it that I forgot the names of them. My favorite episode had to be the one where Gir was mainstreamed into the house's technology when he lost his piggy and my least favorite is the one where you (Gaz) and your family were going to go to the pizza place but a bunch of things kept that from happening.

And it's cool---I love pizza too!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Gaz » November 8th, 2012, 11:12 am

Ther two you mentioned are called Invasion of the Idiot Dog Brain and Bloaty's Pizza Hog (my favorite resturant). GIR didn't lose his piggy in Invasion of the Idiot Dog Brain, it was his moose (he didn't lose it, it was behind the data beam when Zim was going to install a new brain and GIR couldn't quite reach it and fell towards the beam and he became the new brain. Also, we were prevented to go to Bloaty's Pizza Hog because Dib was trying to capture Zim (same ol' story over and over) and dad said we couldn't go until Dib comes because it was "family" night. I know, right?

Thought i'd give you clarification. Though, Invasion of the Idiot Dog Brain was awesome when a street lamp fell onto the road and a giant fiery explosion happened in the police cars. Man, that was awesome! I could see that photo all day!

P.S. This universe is different, explaining why I act different here.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Chibisai Kong » November 8th, 2012, 11:17 am

Thanks for clarifying! Again, it's been a while since I've watched it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Gaz » November 8th, 2012, 11:19 am

You are welcome. Also, has you seen Dark Harvest? The organs episode? I have my organs repaced with my Game Slave 1. Be scared!
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Chibisai Kong » November 8th, 2012, 11:25 am

Uhhhh, no I don't think I did.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Super Luigi! » November 8th, 2012, 3:11 pm

In that case, Gaz, then I truly am Super Luigi as well. I only have a picture of May as my avatar because that was me in my past life.

As for movies/T.V. shows, I'd have to go with Spongebob from Season 1-3. That was where all the great humor was at.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 11th, 2012, 10:26 am

I've been watching Classic Doctor Who lately. Help. It's entrancing.

My favorite is Patrick Troughton's era!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Soniccuz » December 11th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Oh, can't help you there I was hooked as of last year. Seems one can't simply browse Tumblr, and not "know who". Harnell for me. (I'm a sucker for grandfather figures)
Though it's a toss up between him and the fourth.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 11th, 2012, 12:26 pm

Four was actually the one who got me into Classic Who. The one thing I hate and love about him is his scarf.

Hartnell was a good Doctor, I admit that. He was the original and he was awesome. It's too bad his later appearances in the show he had minimal time or was recast. :(

I've only been in the fandom a few weeks and already I can't wait for the 50th next year. There was a rumor on tumblr a few days ago that Two is in it and they recast him!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Soniccuz » December 11th, 2012, 1:33 pm

The scarf's neat.
Glad you agree, seems like most people see him as the "cranky" doctor or, something, but all I've seen of him is this cunning, thoughtful old man.
Yeah, his minimal appearances were do to health issues, I'm afraid.
I remember thinking "The Three Doctors", Harnell's last appearance, would be better titled "The Troughton Comedy Hour". With Harnell reduced to bit parts, Troughton really stole the show from Pertwee.

New who plus the second doctor? Can't see that happening. Not when there's plenty of doctors whom they wouldn't necessarily have to recast.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 11th, 2012, 1:45 pm

I do love the scarf it's just a pain to draw and color! And yes, One is usually seen as crotchety but that's only because he's old.

And they had Five in that Children in Need special, Time Crash. That was good. I swore if they didn't have at least a few Classic Doctors, I would never watch New Who again. I do hope Tom Baker decides to make an appearance, though. He hasn't made any actual appearances since his era ended. Frazer Hines and Paul McGann do too, simply because I want another Doctor/Jamie adventure and Paul needs more screen time.

And really, most of Two's shtick was his banter with Three. Also, Hartnell's advancing age and health issues were the excuse for creating regeneration in the first place. It was so they could continue the story without having to worry about having to recast after the current actor died.

Although with Delgado!Master, that was the case from what I understand...

And they would have to recast One through Three. Hartnell, Hurndall, Troughton, and Pertwee have passed on, bless their souls. In my opinion, for Two and Three, they could also put David Troughton and Sean Pertwee in wigs and voila we've got Patrick and Jon again.

I miss them. :/
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Soniccuz » December 11th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Time Crash was exactly what I was thinking. Something like that again would be a nice, and Tom's doing radio plays for Doctor Who last I heard.

Chibisai Kong wrote:And really, most of Two's shtick was his banter with Three.

Yeah, but Pertwee was the straight man to Troughton, and personally haven't seen much in Three's era that interests me, well besides from the Brig. Though I could say he's technically from Troughton's era. :P

Delgado's death is what convinced Pertwee to step down as third.

Ah, I was going to mention the regeneration concept and Harnell's leave in my last post, but it got lost in editing.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 11th, 2012, 2:24 pm

You know what I meant when I said he hasn't appeared. I was talking the specials, like The Five Doctors. Really the only one he did appear in was Dimensions in Time and apparently barely anyone considers it canon.

Jo and Sarah Jane were my favorite Pertwee Era companions. Brig was cool except his pronstache scared me on occasion. Rest your soul, Nicholas Courtney and Elizabeth Sladen. I liked Bessie too.

The only Three stories I've seen are Spearhead From Space and The Green Death. The Three Doctors as well, if you count that. Personally, out of all I've seen, my favorite serial so far is a cross between Spearhead, Enemy of the World, The Time Meddler, and The Mind Robber.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Soniccuz » December 12th, 2012, 2:21 pm

Spearhead from Space, and part of Carnival of Monsters as well as The Three Doctors. Spearhead kind of bored me. Which has been the common problem for me, and his stuff. Hm, maybe I'll have better luck if I hunt down a serial involving the Master. So far I'd probably say City of Death, and The Deadly Assassin are my favorite classic serials.
Enemy of the World is the only one of those four that doesn't ring a bell. Still need to see The Time Meddler.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 12th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Enemy of the World was the one where Troughton not only played the Doctor but also the Villain of the Arc, Salamander, in a plot where the rsembkence between the two was a very key point. Sadly, only episode three survives but the audio is till there. Time Meddler was good but the group in the livestream Where I watched it decided to make a pairing with One and a character in it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Geno » December 16th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Wow.
I didn't expect to see that many other people that like Doctor Who!
Not only is it a cool show, but it's the reason I exist! (Dr.Who is the reason my mom and dad met.)

So, the new Christmas special is being aired ON CHRISTMAS!
Yeah, that's the first time I've ever heard of such a thing.

And my favourite Doctor is either 4 or 10. Can't decide.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 16th, 2012, 3:25 pm

I actually just joined the fandom!

And you owe your existence to it, geno? That's interesting!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Super Luigi! » December 18th, 2012, 3:51 pm

I wonder if Doctor Who delivered you, geno...

Speaking of Time Lords, has anyone here seen the Continue show on Youtube?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 19th, 2012, 11:35 am

Oooh! Super Luigi, I didn't know you liked Doctor Who!

Spoiler!
Emmerdale is also a very good soap opera---and this is coming from someone who gets bored of soap operas within the first five seconds!

(I think the reason I like it is mainly because of Frazer Hines...)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Super Luigi! » December 19th, 2012, 4:07 pm

I haven't even watched Doctor Who, Chibisai Kong, so I can't say whether I like it or not.

Spoiler!
Why did you talk about Emmerdale in a spoiler? It doesn't spoil anything and is relevant to the topic.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 20th, 2012, 1:43 pm

You should! It's very entertaining.

Spoiler!
...I don't know.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Super Luigi! » December 21st, 2012, 4:13 pm

All I know is that Doctor Who is a Time Lord, and, while the song Monster from the band The Automatic plays, he gets chased by a overweight mud monster at some point in the show. I'll go out on a limb here and predict that the whole show is only somewhat like that.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 22nd, 2012, 7:05 am

It kind of is. Except most of the time his adventures involve Daleks or one-time enemies.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Super Luigi! » December 26th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Ah.

Here's how I was introduced to Doctor Who: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g6Aykb0zeY
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 27th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Hm. That's new. I've never seen a Doctor Who video dedicated to the monsters.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Super Luigi! » December 27th, 2012, 2:52 pm

Really? I thought the whole plot of Doctor Who was about capturing/defeating crazed monsters that are on the run. Is the show anything like that at all, or is it more about a Doctor Who (Ha, I worked in the title!) achieves great achievements and who nobody knows?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 27th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Well, sometimes that's what the plot involves, but not always.

When Sydney Newman, the creator of the show, pitched it to the BBC, it was originally meant to teach kids history. However, the last pure historical was The Highlanders, one of the serials that is tragically missing all its episodes although audio and telesnaps survive. But since it began almost fifty years ago, it has raked in a multitude of fans with ages spanning from very young to very old. It's wonderful and beautiful.

Though to explain the plot, it chronicles the adventures of the Doctor, a man who ran away from his home planet of Gallifrey with his granddaughter Susan after stealing a Type-40 TARDIS. (Susan eventually left, or rather was forced to leave, so she could stay on Earth with the human she had fallen in love with.) Ten regenerations and nearly fifty years later our time, Doctor Who is one of the most iconic things in popular culture. It's fanbase is wide and has one of the most accepting fandoms in some places to boot.

The show originally ran from 1963 to 1989, with a rather unfortunate hiatus beginning in 1985 that lasted eighteen months, had a TV movie in 1996 that showed Seven's regeneration into Eight, and then was picked up again in 2005 with Ninth Doctor.

He does have a very mysterious past, though.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Super Luigi! » January 5th, 2013, 3:54 pm

I never quite understood the history of the show until reading your post. Thanks to you, I now have more knowledge of the show and its origins, and will seek out an episode to watch.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Chibisai Kong » January 6th, 2013, 12:34 pm

You are quite welcome! Would you like a recommendation, my dear?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Geno » January 8th, 2013, 11:22 pm

I remember that I accidentally got my friend to start watching Doctor Who, and he likes it.

During the Christmas season, he watched ALL the Christmas specials (they had a marathon on one of the channels), and he said he enjoyed it even though he had no clue what was going on between the episodes. :lol:

And the thinks the latest one, 'The Snowmen', is really weird.

Also, if I were to list the episodes I've seen, we'd be here all week... :facepalm:

Let's just say that I've seen HUNDREDS of them, and that The War Games is the longest. IT TOOK MY FAMILY SEVERAL WEEKS JUST TO WATCH THAT ONE EPISODE! (It was around 16 parts.......)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Chibisai Kong » January 9th, 2013, 9:44 am

I liked it too!

Some people in the Classic Who fandom on Tumblr have concluded that Moffat made The Snowmen to be a sort of prequel to The Web of Fear, which is where the Great Intelligence first showed and that it is in some way connected to the 50th Anniversary.

It was ten parts but it really is very long. I actually want to watch it but because I know what happens at the end I don't want to without someone with me. :/

Spoiler!
As a side note, today, January 8, is First Doctor William Hartnell's 105th birthday. Thank you for being the First! ♥
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Geno » January 16th, 2013, 11:46 am

A bit o a bump, but a feww days ago, I saw the unfinished, unaired Doctor Who Episode, Shada. :swanky:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Geno » January 18th, 2013, 9:00 am

I really have not much of an opinion of it.

It had to do with
Spoiler!
this Time Lord who was hiding out in a university (a whole room was his TARDIS), and he had this powerful book he stole from the other Time Lords that was an artifact from when Rassalon (hope I spelled it right) was alive and stuff.
And there was this guy, Skara, who was evil and used this round ball to suck up people's minds and get info on the books whereabouts.
And an invisible spaceship was in it.
Just, look up the episode on some sort of "Doctor Who Wiki".

It was written by Douglas Adams.

On a related note, the only Family Guy I ever saw had this in it. :mrgreen:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Chibisai Kong » January 20th, 2013, 7:26 am

It sounds cool.

Spoiler!
You were close---the second 'a' should be an 'i'. The Doctor Who Wiki is called TARDIS Wiki.

I just about died laughing because I actually expected Sylvester McCoy's face to show up, not Tom Baker's. XD

Also, is it the same Douglas Adams who wrote Hitchhiker's?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Geno » January 20th, 2013, 8:19 am

Yep.
(The episode itself does contain some Hitchhikers-esque humour in it too.)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Chibisai Kong » January 20th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Oh my god please tell me they made reference to the meaning of life.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Geno » January 21st, 2013, 6:02 am

No, sorry.

RANDOM THOUGHT! The first Doctor Who I ever saw was Tomb of the Cybermen (2nd Doctor)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Chibisai Kong » January 21st, 2013, 10:57 am

Oh I loved that episode!

By first do you mean the very first one or the first Classic? O.o
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Geno » January 21st, 2013, 9:51 pm

Very first.

I saw it a year or two before they started the new ones. :swanky:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Chibisai Kong » January 22nd, 2013, 1:46 pm

Cool. :D I actually just watched the first of the newer show. I figured it was a better way to start watching Nine.

Also, I finished Midnight. Creepy and emotional.

12/10 would recommend.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Tiptup Jr. » January 30th, 2013, 2:49 am

So, um, I've never seen Doctor Who.

I divide my time watching the Patty Duke Show at 5 AM followed by the Today show and Rachael Ray, then depending on the day of the week I'm either watching The Batchelor on Monday, New Girl and Mindy Project on Tuesday, Parks & Rec, Office, and 30 Rock on Thursday, and Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers and American Dad on Sunday. I Dream of Jeannie and Seinfeld come on at random intervals during the day as well. *phew*

I used to watch My Little Pony but the season 3 premiere was dreadful. Oh, and the Twilight movies are a guilty pleasure of mine, I'm going through the books right now.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Chibisai Kong » January 31st, 2013, 12:15 pm

Tiptup, you are the first person I have ever met who has their TV schedule down pat! A lot of those shows are, and look, awesome. :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 19th, 2013, 11:16 am

Couple months late but, thank you.

Does anyone here watch American Idol?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Chibisai Kong » June 2nd, 2013, 12:50 pm

We used to always watch it all the time! Didn't keep up with it much after the season with Taylor Hicks...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Chibisai Kong » July 17th, 2015, 11:23 am

Ay, yo, so reviving a dead forum with a question I could easily post elsewhere, does anyone here watch Gravity Falls? If so, what did you think of the latest episode?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Previous

Return to Anything Goes