The Random Thoughts Topic

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Re: The Random Thoughts Topic

Postby Gaz » February 24th, 2014, 6:23 am

Could the DKC GBA microsite designer get any lazier? You don't make a DKC GBA image monochrome and say "Cranky way back in 1994". It is also not a screenshot of the Super Nintendo version of Donkey Kong Country:
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Geno » February 25th, 2014, 2:23 pm

That's so lazy.

I'm pretty sure Cranky'd have a few words to say to whomever designed that site! :rant:

Anyway, I'm thinking of posting a thing, with stuff about the SMW Hack I am making.
Sure, you may think "But Geno, SMWCentral is a thing!", and you'd be right!

Although currently, it is unfinished, and lacks several things, most notably a completely new world map.

So it'd probably be declined in a heartbeat, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have any good/challenging level designs, so I'm wondering if anyone would like to have a look at/play it?

It DOES currently have levels based on DKC2's swamps and DKC3's trees. (as everyone in the SMW hacking biz seems to only make levels based on DKC2's hive and bramble stages, and they don't even make their own graphics for them!)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Super Luigi! » February 25th, 2014, 3:07 pm

I'll do it! :dixiehappy: If you need attention for your SMW project, I'm your strangely funny man! :diddywink: Just make sure you don't break the ROM rules and attract a sea be... I mean, Simion32! :gnawty-lol:

In other news, I should stop being so Cranky when it comes to Tropical Freeze. I really should simply attempt to enjoy the game, no matter how much it violates my well-being.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Geno » March 3rd, 2014, 5:56 am

WOAH!

HOLD THE PHONE!

"DIXIEY KONG"?!?!?!? :dixiecry: :kiddysad:

How has no one (here) noticed this?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Qyzbud » March 3rd, 2014, 6:17 am

I've personally hardly played DKL3, but Gaz certainly noticed this...
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=345&p=29323&hilit=Dixiey#p29323
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » March 3rd, 2014, 4:15 pm

Geno, the site and Dixie Kong's portrait frighten me. Qyzbud, I feel I am missing the bigger picture in that post.

Has anyone ever tried to uncover the connection between DKC3 and chocolate milk?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Blaziken257 » March 4th, 2014, 4:57 pm

I noticed the misspelling of Dixie Kong within less than a minute of playing the Japanese version for the first time (which was early in 2007, over 7 years ago). Then again, the cartridge also misspells "trademark" as "tradmark". I guess whoever was responsible for the Japanese version doesn't know English very well.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Super Luigi! » March 11th, 2014, 3:46 am

I fear I may be invisible to the DKC Atlas community. Nobody seems to respond to my posts, after all. The most logical explanation: Qyzbud, Simion32, or perhaps both of them combined. (My money's on Qyzbud though. He's always had it in for me, even if that figure of speech doesn't fit into the context of this post, or even make sense.)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » March 22nd, 2014, 10:17 am

I know I haven't been on in a good while... I've been on spring break all week and I've been insanely busy (in a good way!). I promise that I'll get to sprite editing and I'll redo DK's double rope animations! I've barely turned on my Lappy at all this week (except to do real fun things... like taxes!).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » March 22nd, 2014, 12:51 pm

That's quite all right, Phyreburnz. Life can be a hindrance to forum-going; just ask Qyzbud if you require further assurance!

I have a, perhaps, not-so-random-question. Should I continue to tag fellow Atlasites every time I speak their names, or only when there's an emergency/major event? Since I fear misusing the feature and being attacked by Simion32 (even though he has much bigger Bounty Bass to fry), I thought it appropriate to ask my question here.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Gaz » March 24th, 2014, 4:27 am

Out of boredom, I stumbled upon a site that seems Donkey Kong-related, but it is not: http://www.dksplace.com/.

The logo:
Spoiler!

Seems to me like it's a Chuck E. Cheese's ripoff.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Super Luigi! » March 24th, 2014, 4:43 am

It seems more like the Kremlings are running the show! Also, that logo is terrifying. I suspect a terrible cartoon plot...

I firmly believe Kremlings are Russians. They were in the (C)Kremean War, have a vast empire, used to be a big threat to the free world until they suddenly disappeared, had a ruthless leader (Stalin/K. Rool), few have successfully invaded their home country, and, perhaps most obviously, Russia is also known as the Kremlin. But then again, Klump wears a US ammo belt and helmet...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Super Luigi! » March 25th, 2014, 2:26 pm

I'm sorry for creating a double post, but I needed to share this before I forgot about it. (Doubtful, but still.)

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, Super Luigi Country!
http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15766

Contrary to popular belief, I didn't make this game, nor is it about my country. It also doesn't seem to be a cross between Super Luigi and Donkey Kong Country. However, the game DOES have Cranky, and there are DKC elements. I'm not requesting for anyone to play this fangame, but at the very least, please acknowledge its existence and note how funnily coincidental the title is. Now, I'm going to check this game out myself!

Qyzbud (The head honcho, the big cheese, the chief, the connection.)
Simion32 [Qyzbud's right-hand man, as well as the long arm of the law. Please tell me if I've violated the rules in some way.]
Cyclone {You seem reputable.}
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Geno » March 28th, 2014, 8:45 am

On Tumblr, I found this thing, which was from Nintendo's official facebook site.
Spoiler!

Looks like they never forgot Kiddy and Swanky after all! (Although Chunky's not there)

Also, I found it genuinely surprising that Bluster Kong and (technically) Eddie the Mean Old Yeti were on here!
although redneck kong is missing

Phyreburnz (Because, if I'm not mistaken, you like the DKC TV show, so this might be neat)

By the way, I appear to be "Groovy Kong". :funky:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Geno » March 28th, 2014, 12:04 pm

Actually, that image, with all those facotry sealed games reminds me of something.

You know what bugs me about people who collect and display "factory sealed" games?
The fact that that's all they do with 'em. They buy them, with the original plastic wrap, and just display them somewhere.

The point of the games is to PLAY them. I got a factory sealed Super Bomberman 2 at a convention last summer, and you know what I did?
I opened it up and played it. Because, heck, that particular game pak had been waiting 19 years to be popped into an SNES and played, so I did just that.

Also at that same convention, I came across all 3 SDKs on SNES, ALSO factory sealed, but I didn't obtain them, as I wasn't prepared to cut off those 2 plastic tabs on my SNES to play Japanese games yet.

That convention will be occurring this summer too, so I hope I may be able to save a few more games from the fate of being shoved in a glass case or something for all eternity.

I hope the fellow who has those games depicted is planning on selling a few to people who'd actually PLAY them. After all, I seriously doubt they are in dire need of 6 copies of LOZ: Minish Cap, or 6 copies of Final Fantasy V.
Heck, I myself wouldn't mind nabbing a Mario Party Advance, Wario Ware, those 2 Mario Sports games, or Bomberman.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Super Luigi! » March 28th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Thanks Geno. Apparently, I'm either Kiddy Kong :kiddycool: or Swanky Kong :swanky: . Personally, I'd rather be Kiddy.

I can't beat the third boss in Tropical Freeze fast enough. I did it before, but got hit, which is unacceptable. It also doesn't help that this particular boss acts based on chance.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Dixie Diddy » April 6th, 2014, 6:48 am

I saw two new games !
1. Yoshi's NEW island
2. Kirby triple deluxe
I look forward to seeing yoshi's island :D
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Dixie Diddy » April 7th, 2014, 4:37 am

I got cod Ghosts(Call Of Duty) HAH I said Duty :facepalm: :shakehead: :lol:
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Super Luigi! » April 7th, 2014, 1:28 pm

And that's a big duty! :krool: If I may ask, can I please know your online name to friend you? That is, if you bought the game for Wii U and want me to.

Anyone else excited about Tuesday's Nintendo Direct? It's all about the upcoming Super Smash Bros. game! I would post this in the Smash Bros. thread, but it doesn't seem significant enough to warrant it's own topic/reply.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Dixie Diddy » April 8th, 2014, 8:23 am

don't have a wii U also haven't played the new game yet BANANAS
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Blaziken257 » April 8th, 2014, 3:42 pm

My latest gripe: Seeing Wii U friend requests from people that I haven't met before. No, this is not directed towards anybody in this forum. But I have two pending requests from people I don't know, and I don't know whether I should accept them or just let the requests expire. What do you people do?

(I guess this is what I deserve for making numerous Miiverse posts each day.)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Super Luigi! » April 9th, 2014, 5:38 am

Blaziken257, I usually check out their profile before adding them. If they seem like bad people, then I don't add them. But that hasn't happened all that much. You could try turning the friend request option off, as I've seen some users do.

(I'd say it's more because of your supreme and unmatched talent demonstrations each day.)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Gaz » April 9th, 2014, 10:52 pm

R.I.P. Windows XP Support (2001-2014) ;( -- You have always been my favorite operating system of all time...

And, oh my... UNFAIR! <_<: http://www.zdnet.com/dutch-government-pays-millions-to-extend-microsoft-xp-support-7000028116/

Simion32
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Gaz » April 14th, 2014, 5:12 am

http://www.candysdance.com/ -- What's with these seemingly relevant DK links? There's actually a Candy's Dance Academy in the real world, coincidentally based on Candy's Dance Studio (or vice versa?)
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Super Luigi! » April 30th, 2014, 1:50 pm

So guess what I found out? There's another SMBX Forum! Naturally, I joined it! And guess what else? Many of the users from the old forum are there, and they remember me! Now, rest assured, I'll still visit the DKC Atlas everyday. I'm just so glad I finally found "the rest of my herd", so to speak! :dixiehappy: Qyzbud, I hope this doesn't ruin our agreement, and for the entire DKC Atlas Community, our friendship.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Gaz » May 11th, 2014, 5:57 am

Who the heck thought that Swanky forcing you to pay ten Banana Coins in DKC2 GBA to re-battle a boss was a good idea (especially for my favorite game)?!?!? :shakehead: Ten Banana Coins is WAAAYYY overpriced for something as simple as re-battling a boss. I'm glad they removed that stupid gimmick in DKC3 GBA...

If I ever get to the part of GBA hacking where I can modify game code (I'm currently on C++), I'm going to remove this stupid gimmick and relocate the concept of timed boss battles to Diddy's Dash, which itself I have major plans for.

Simion32
Geno
Super Luigi!
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Geno » May 11th, 2014, 11:39 pm

Yes, having to pay almost a dozen Banana Coins to fight Krow (and other bosses) of all things is ridiculous.

If anything, if Rareware didn't want Swanky to become useless after you beat all his quizzes, why didn't they make the quizzes re-playable?
I would have preferred that option, especially to help me practice some of the questions that I have a little difficulty with (the one about how many windows there are in the ship's cabin comes to mind...)

(by the way, the tagging feature doesn't seem to work most of the time. I never got any message for that tag you sent)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Super Luigi! » May 12th, 2014, 4:28 am

Same here, for both the Swanky and tagging issues. Perhaps Rare wanted everyone to hate Swanky even more, considering he wasn't too helpful or considerate before. Seriously, anyone who has sparkly teeth in cartoons or video games can't be trusted.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Blaziken257 » May 20th, 2014, 1:00 am

Some of you may know that Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for DS and Wii games will shut down on the 20th, which is tomorrow. 3DS and Wii U games are not affected at all. And according to this, it will shut down at 11:00 PM in Japan:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/infor ... /0227.html

That is UTC+9, so in Pacific daylight time (UTC-7), where I live, that is 7:00 AM. That means we have about 24 hours left! If you like racing online in MKW, or trading/battling online in Pokémon, or anything else that uses the Nintendo WFC, here is your last chance!

What bugs me most about this is that Pokémon Black and White 2 haven't even been out for two years, so the online play for those games is incredibly short-lived. At least Mario Kart 8 comes out in less than two weeks!

On a similar note, I heard that Xbox Live shut down for regular Xbox games (not 360) back in 2010. Now I realize how Xbox owners felt back then!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Mattrizzle » May 20th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Blaziken257 wrote:That is UTC+9, so in Pacific daylight time (UTC-7), where I live, that is 7:00 AM.

That's 10:00 AM where I live. I work from 7:15-4:00 so there's no way I can join you. Sorry. :kiddysad:

But if you (or anyone else on this board, for that matter) would like to join me in any of the following games, shoot me a message.

Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Pokémon X (I haven't even made it halfway through the game yet, despite getting it only a few weeks after its release)

I intend to pick up Mario Kart 8 as well next weekend. It's still a shame Diddy (or Funky) won't be in this one after not appearing in MK7, but I guess you can't have everything...
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Qyzbud » May 20th, 2014, 11:40 pm

I don't have any of these games, but I too will probably pick up Mario Kart 8 at some point. I certainly agree that the character roster is very disappointing from a DKC fan's perspective — seriously? All those Koopas, baby characters and costumes, but no Diddy, Dixie, Funky or Cranky? (or Kiddy :kiddysad:) — but despite this grave injustice, the game looks just barely enjoyable and innovative enough to warrant a purchase.

I guess I'll have to set up my Nintendo Network account sometime so I can join the fun. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » May 21st, 2014, 3:10 pm

I agree; MK 8 needs more DKC characters. The Koopalings, for example, while nice, didn't need to be racers, nor Pink Golden Peach. Also, I should check again, but I believe the Wii and DS Wi-Fi is still active.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Geno » May 24th, 2014, 1:34 am

Heck, the MK8 roster is disappointing from anyone's perspective.

Baby Daisy, Baby Rosalina, and Pink Gold Peach are all dumb because they don't exist in the other games, and were MADE for Mario Kart.
(And Baby Peach is okay because she actually played major roles in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time & Yoshi's Island DS)
At least with Toadette in Double Dash, Nintendo later used her in games like Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

And the Koopalings are okay, the only problem I have with them (besides their voices) is that they take up 7 spaces that could have contained such classics like King Boo, Dry Bones, or even Diddy Kong.
The could have even had some of the one time only characters like ROB, or Funky Kong, or Petey Piranha, or Paratroopa.
In fact, those last two haven't been playable in a Mario Kart game since Double Dash, 11 years ago! And Paratroopa specifically hasn't been playable AT ALL since Mario Kart Double Dash!

Heck, there isn't even Bowser JR this time! Even though I hate him, I'm surprised that the Koopalings got in, and he didn't.

I was actually kinda hoping that Cranky Kong, of all people, would be in a Mario Kart game. And his personal Kart? His rocking chair from DKC1! After all, he clearly was able to beat the game with one life (and it took less than an hour!) in that wheelchair!
Plus, it'd be hilarious.

There are a few other things that bug me 'bout MK8, like how most of the retro courses look and sound completely different (especially the N64 courses, which were my FAVOURITE courses from my FAVOURITE Mario Kart :dixiecry: . They also forced some new gimmicks in ways which don't make sense, like difficulty-ruining anti-gravity in N64 Toad's Turnpike, or doesn't-make-sense underwater portion added to GCN Dry Dry Desert. Even a 1 second gliding portion in N64 Yoshi Valley!), but that doesn't change the fact that I will buy it. After all, it IS Mario Kart.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Super Luigi! » May 28th, 2014, 10:21 am

^Yes. Yes to all of that up there. Indeed, noble Geno, indeed.

Recently, I've played a game,
That's title is the Child of Light.
I love everything about this epic,
And the experience is quite right!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Blaziken257 » May 31st, 2014, 12:42 pm

I got Mario Kart 8 today, and while I was waiting for it, I was playing Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 online for most of this past week (Yes, you read that right, it is still possible to play MKW online if you really want to). Anyway, I was playing as Donkey Kong just now, and his smile sure looks creepy:

Spoiler!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Super Luigi! » June 1st, 2014, 3:54 pm

Indeed, yet still so charming. I have an idea. Perhaps we could make a DKC Atlas Club for Mario Kart 8, if enough of us want to join. Then we could host our own tournaments and race together! It's just an idea.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Mattrizzle » June 2nd, 2014, 5:11 am

Sounds like a good idea to me!
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Phyreburnz » June 3rd, 2014, 7:55 am

I've been having a really hard couple of days...

Today, I had to say goodbye to my dog for the last time. His back legs have been giving out on him for the past few months and it had been getting worse... I'm really going to miss him.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » June 3rd, 2014, 6:30 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, Phyre; losing a four-legged family member is a really tough thing to go through. :dixiecry:

*hugs*
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Mattrizzle » June 4th, 2014, 1:41 am

Very sorry about your loss. :cry:

A couple of years ago, we lost both of our cats in a span of six months (May-November 2012). The older one (who was about 14) suffered from nasal problems her whole life, and going blind did not help matters. The younger one (who would have of turned eight the day after Christmas) had been very active physically until about a year prior to her death, when she started to exhibit problems with her back legs, not unlike your dog.

It always helps to remember the fun times I had with the cats while they were still around, and that they don't have to suffer anymore.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Geno » June 4th, 2014, 10:58 am

Aw man, I know what it's like to lose a pet. I used to have a cat. :dixiecry:

Oh well.

Here, have an interesting DK fact.

DID YOU KNOW, that in Mario Kart 64, despite what it sounds like, DK's "voice" clips are NOT "stock sounds" like Bowser's were, but rather his sound effects were done by none other than Charles Martinet, Mario's voice actor! :mario: :thumbs:

Additionally, considering he did the voices for Mario, Luigi, DK, & Wario in the international version of MK64, he voiced exactly half of the game's characters (4 of 'em)
(Unless you count the Thwomps, which since they use a slowed down version of Wario's laugh, means he voices OVER HALF (5) of MK64's characters)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Super Luigi! » June 5th, 2014, 2:13 pm

Interesting trivia indeed Geno. Phyreburnz, even though I had nothing to do with your dog's death, I'm still sorry he died so painfully, instead of just being ran over like mine was. I shall pray for your dog tonight. :kiddysad:

I'll look into Mario Kart 8's online functions when I have time later to see how to create our own tournaments/club. Recently, I've been helping people and avoiding forums. However, I'm still an avid supporter of the DKC Atlas! :dixiehappy:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Geno » June 6th, 2014, 12:05 am

Welp, I have gotten myself into quite the predicament.

I am sick. :kiddysad:

I HAVE to go to school, because if I don't, I FAIL EVERYTHING, so I gotta go to school while being sick :winkyface:

And, my birthday's this weekend, so I'll probably be sick for that as well :dixiecry:

oh dear
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Gaz » June 6th, 2014, 8:27 am

That's strange, because I've had bad sleep myself, and I felt ill.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Markster » June 10th, 2014, 8:28 pm

I just changed my avatar, it's me in cartoon form, I animated it in Anime Studio Pro.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Blaziken257 » June 15th, 2014, 12:41 pm

Today was a crazy day for me. Some of you may know that Best Buy held an event for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U today from 12 to 5 PM. I went to it today, and got there at 12... and there was a long line out the door! In fact, it was so long that several people, including myself, didn't even get a chance to play it, since nobody was allowed to try it after 5 (dumb, I know). At least I got to watch it for a while... it does seem fun, I do like some of the new characters like the Villager and Little Mac, and from what I saw, the boxing ring stage was rather interesting. I will get the game when it comes out, and in fact I preordered it and the 3DS game today. Not only that, but today, there was a discount on a few Wii U games such as Super Mario 3D World, so I went ahead and got it! (Yeah, it has cats... but I'm pretty sure I'll put up with that... ACHOO!)

Still... I have no idea what Nintendo was thinking for giving such a short time frame for this. Only five hours?! I know there was an event on Thursday too, which was from 4 to 9, but I couldn't go to that one, because I was working, and I assume this applies to a lot of other people too. I do hope to see a demo or something at some point...

In contrast, when Nintendo provided demos for four games -- Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and DKC: Tropical Freeze -- last year at Best Buy, the lines were nowhere near as long (but still quite long!). They were less than two hours long, enough for me to be able to try DKC: Tropical Freeze. And there was certainly no line outside the door last year! So, this year, the line was over twice as long, and this is just for one game!

I hope next time Nintendo does something like this, they make available for more than just two days, and make it last more than five hours, as this is clearly not enough anymore. At least I got a lot of StreetPasses, so I didn't completely waste my time there.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Cody » June 19th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Haven't posted here in almost a year, wow! I can't believe it's been that long ... seems like just yesterday I was posting!

I went to the Best Buy event this past Saturday. Arrived at around 11am and the line was so long it was clear around the building, there must've been at least 300 people in front of me. I was surprised! Last year when I went to play Tropical Freeze it didn't seem like there were nearly as many people.

The Smashfest event was a nice experience. In line I was able to get a good number of StreetPasses (I'm now done with Puzzle Swap entirely, yay!) but I eventually stopped checking my plaza after around 20....I'm at the very final room in my umpteenth playthrough of Find Mii II: Secret Quest so they wouldn't have been of much help.

I was able to play Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U. My impression of the 3DS one is that the game controls really smoothly, though the button layout takes some getting used to (I think I'm going to map the "jump" buttons to A and X when I get my copy). I played as Yoshi - beat my opponent 3-0, was a very nice match! As for the Wii U one, I played as DK (of course!) on Battlefield with 3 other people. The game controls very well though I died a premature death due to unfamiliarity with the Wii U Pro Controller layout (the 4 main buttons are positioned the same as the 3DS, which threw me off when using DK's recovery). I did end up coming back, though - at the very end of the match I jumped on the right-hand platform and hand-clapped Greninja to death, only to use the "huh?!" taunt immediately thereafter. That generated a lot of laughs from the crowd.

(also, I smiled on the inside when I heard someone from the crowd yell "GO DONKEY KONG!" during the middle of the match).

I also got a Smash Bros. pin button & some stickers! Overall it was a cool experience, I had tons of fun.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes