The Random Thoughts Topic

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Re: The Random Thoughts Topic

Postby Kiddy14 » November 18th, 2008, 2:12 pm

I have a Salvadoran friend and she talks (speaks?) really cool. Instead of saying "¿Tienes un borrador? Por favor préstamelo", she says "¿Tenés un borrador? Por favor, prestámelo" (notice the different accent position in prestamelo). What's the second person singular pronoun used in Puerto Rico? Tú or Vos? =P
PotoGamer wrote:[...]but I think that the spanish here in PR is even more confusing, since we can leave out some letters when we pronounce a word.

I knew about that =P Here in Mexico it's not common to hear somebody lose letters, we completely say "helado", or "llevado". I think is equivalent to Australian or British English, where some letters don't get pronounced.

That's one of my main problem with English actually; I speak it really good (I say a lot of "uh?" though), write it pretty good, I read it perfectly too! But don't say something to me in English or you'll find me asking you "could you repeat that again?" :oops: I understand my friends though, because they speak at my speed xD not at "natural" speed. I need to accustom my hearing to it.

My English teacher says a good practice is watching Dr. House, because of the complicated words and the diversity of accents; except I usually rewind at parts to understand what they said xD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby PotoGamer » November 18th, 2008, 2:32 pm

Our second person singular pronoun is tu or usted, vos is rarely used over here. While I've never heard someone pronounce it as prestámelo or tenés, I have heard the word tenéis, which sounds similar. People tell me that I speak (and read) too fast, which means that I sometimes have to repeat what I said slowly!

Believe it or not, I learned English mostly from watching TV, (and my English teacher thought I was from the US) and House is a great show to practice english, although I usually watch it with closed captioning, since it's hard to know what disease they're talking about. My family watches that show a lot because my dad is an anesthesiologist, and my mom used to study medicine!
Trailblazer

Postby Kiddy14 » November 19th, 2008, 7:06 am

Usually, when I watch TV shows in english, I use closed captioning to understand what they say too.
My English teacher says in 2010, my group will be traveling to Canada for 3 weeks to practice english (right after I finish high school).
I'd like to live 1 year in either Australia or Canada, because Canada is a beautiful country, and Australian accent is my favorite xP
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby PotoGamer » November 19th, 2008, 12:16 pm

I'd to go to Canada, because I'd like to see the Niagra Falls in action! I'd also go to Australia, it seems like a peaceful place!

Right now, I'm watching House, but I missed almost half of the episode since I was organizing what I bought from the supermarket... :lol:

And...I DON'T HAVE SCHOOL TOMORROW!! WOOO! Basically, because tomorrow marks the day that Puerto Rico was discovered, back in 1492! Unfortunately, our Science teacher gave us an INSANE amount of homework. :(
Trailblazer

Postby Kiddy14 » November 19th, 2008, 3:24 pm

I didn't have school yesterday! Because November 20th is the Anniversary of the Mexican Revolution, when Francisco I. Madero rebelled against the mexican dictatorship of Porfirio Díaz; so something the Congress of Mexico decreted said that whenever an official celebration is held in the middle of a week, the... feria? would be moved to the week's Monday so that we could have a long weekend.
Why teachers are like that? My english homework was insane too! My teacher wants complete pages of exercises written in our notebooks, including articles that take forever to copy, to "practice". And he decides to use this only break in the past 3 months to give us 4 whole pages, with 2 articles D=
I finished doing it Monday night because just by thinking how much it was made me don't want to do it XD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » November 19th, 2008, 3:41 pm

Ugh... now I wish I lived in Puerto Rico or Mexico, BUT, Thanksgiving is coming, I get a longer weekend soon, yeah!
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby PotoGamer » November 19th, 2008, 3:51 pm

I'm not even halfway done with my Science homework, but lately, I've been doing things at the last minute and they end up BETTER than when I start them earlier! :P My parents say that I work better under pressure, a trait I acquired from my sister.

ANOTHER thing I hate is that BOTH my Science and Math tests are on the exact same day as my birthday! (Nov. 25) Usually, my school gives us a WHOLE WEEK without school, but this year, our headmaster (trying to make the school look like it's not for a specific religion) decided to give us just 3 DAYS without school! :x

Though, one of the good things about living over here is that you celebrate all american holidays + additional PR holidays! And because of that, we have regular Christmas and another Christmas (but on a much smaller scale) celebrated Jan. 6! :D
Trailblazer

Postby gamer_boy997 » November 19th, 2008, 3:58 pm

Oh yeah, Christmas is coming up soon, a couple weeks off of school too!
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » November 20th, 2008, 10:21 am

January 6 is the Epiphany (or The Day of the Magic Kings) =P
Wikipedia wrote:In the afternoon or evening of the same day the ritual of the Rosca de Reyes is shared with family and friends. The Rosca is a type of pastry made with orange blossom water and butter, and decorated with candied fruit. Baked inside is a small doll representing the baby Jesus. In Mexico, the person who finds the doll in their piece of rosca must throw a party on February 2nd, "Candelaria Day," offering tamales and atole (a hot sweet drink thickened with corn flour) to the guests.

I hope the next year I won't have to pay for my class' tamales xD The good thing about last time was that one teacher also got the little kid, and we decided to divide the payment in each of us =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby PotoGamer » November 20th, 2008, 11:20 am

Exactly! That's similar to what we celebrate, except we don't eat a rosca, the Kings just leave us gifts under that good ol' Christmas tree, and in the day before, we leave out hay for the Kings' camels.

But just like leaving cookies for Santa...
Spoiler!
we don't do it anymore. :(

And speaking about gifts, I got Animal Crossing: City Folk today! Yay! (Hey! That rhymed! :P )
Trailblazer

Postby Kiddy14 » November 21st, 2008, 11:19 am

I wish I had a new game :cry:
Oh well, I bought a video camera :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Rodent » November 21st, 2008, 5:00 pm

Hey Potogamer, we're WiFi-ing as soon as I pick up City Folk.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby PotoGamer » November 22nd, 2008, 3:23 am

Sure! I haven't gotten WiiSpeak yet, but I might soon. Other Wi-Fi games that I've got are SSBB, NiGHTS (I don't play it much...), and MKWii.

Now that I think about it, there should be a topic for Friend Codes...
Trailblazer

Postby Rodent » November 22nd, 2008, 12:23 pm

I have Brawl, MKWii, Guitar Hero 3 and 4 and Battalion Wars Wii. I think there might be more... I'll look later.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby PotoGamer » November 24th, 2008, 9:15 am

I only have one DS game with Wi-Fi, and that's Mario vs. DK 2. I was dissapointed by its lackluster ending, which is pretty much the same as the first one. :(

I have the urge to post the most random thing ever...

PONYCORNS. :shock:

EDIT: That ponycorn thing is just something that my AWESOME friend and I invented during one of our extremely weird crayz-ay trips (Yeah, I have a LOT of random thoughts racing around my mind...CRASHING INTO EACH OTHER IN AN EXTREME RACE! Wait, what?). By the way, there's this weird [Spider] called Baidu browsing the forums...I'M SCARED! :o
Trailblazer

Postby Gnawzooka » November 24th, 2008, 5:40 pm

It's just a bot or something. It's on most phpbb3 forums, and is supposed to be (I think).
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Rodent » November 24th, 2008, 11:14 pm

Hopefully it isn't an evil robot like the one from the Jetsons.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby PotoGamer » November 25th, 2008, 5:58 am

Really? The only bots I know are Alexa, Google, and Yahoo. Baidu rarely comes here...unless he just wants to scare me! :?
Trailblazer

Postby The Guy » November 25th, 2008, 8:34 am

'K.

Blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah.

Do YOU understand the Blah language?
Veteran Venturer

Postby PotoGamer » November 25th, 2008, 8:51 am

Not really, but I know gibberish.
Trailblazer

Postby Rodent » November 25th, 2008, 10:47 am

Nah, I only know English and small amounts of Pitjinjara.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Kiddy14 » November 25th, 2008, 2:52 pm

The Guy wrote:Blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah.

You must be really bored :roll:

I know how to write fresa ¬¬
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby DKCplayer » November 25th, 2008, 4:29 pm

This is random (Which is what the topic is for anyways) but:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/abcsong
Watch the whole video...
Spoiler!
At least we know what the number of the day is now. :lol:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Rodent » November 25th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Nice story behind the video too. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby gamer_boy997 » November 26th, 2008, 1:07 pm

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but lots of random stuff goes here, so I'll post it here. Thanksgiving vacation is coming up, right? So, I'm going on vacation tomorrow, and will be gone until about 4 days later.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » November 26th, 2008, 3:33 pm

I heard, Unitedstatians have a whole week of vacation in Thanksgiving?
That's cool, now it's my turn of wanting to live in the US xP
By the way, wasn't it celebrated in October? :?:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » November 26th, 2008, 3:34 pm

Nope, it's celebrated on the 4th Thursday in November.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » November 26th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Then my school was stupid :|
Oh wait no... Wikipedia says is like that in Canada xD
Apparently my school followed canadian customs...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby PotoGamer » November 26th, 2008, 3:44 pm

I'm getting 3 days off of school! Those include 3 school days, and Saturday and Sunday! Before we got the new headmaster, we got one entire week off, but now, we only get a few days off! So, my birthday (which was celebrated on a non-school day) is now celebrated in a school day thanks to our lousy new rules. :(

My best friend's birthday is in Nov. 27th, so it usually occurs during Thanksgiving! I was planning on buying him Super Mario RPG, since he hasn't played that game. The second I told him it was made by Square, he wanted to play it!

I'm going on vacation for the New Year! I'm gonna go to Disneyworld! One of the unfortunate things that occur when you live separated from the USA is that it can be a pain to find an affordable trip, so my family goes on vacation for 2 weeks in two destinations, but this year, we're just spending one week on Disneyworld... (it's been a long time since I don't go there...)
Trailblazer

Postby gamer_boy997 » November 26th, 2008, 3:46 pm

Cool Potogamer, wish I can go there!

By the way, the smilies don't seem to be working, we have to type them in instead, :cry: .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » November 26th, 2008, 3:50 pm

I've never gone to vacation outside my country! XD
The further I've went is Laredo, US.
And inside my country, to Mexico City. But I'm going to Acapulco in January.

Smilies work :?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby PotoGamer » November 26th, 2008, 3:52 pm

That might be a problem if I have to check how you write the smiley, it's not a big problem in my decent web browser (Firefox, works awesomely), but it sure is when I'm on my Wii's Internet Channel trying to post a message. To make matters even worse, I don't have a USB keyboard, so I need to type with the Wii's faulty keyboard... :roll:

The furthest I've went outside Puerto Rico is Vermont. Here's a tip: rent a car. ;)
Trailblazer

Postby Jomingo » November 26th, 2008, 11:49 pm

I've been to about 20 of these United States, and my dad's been to all of them(+Canada, Mexico, and North Korea).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Guy » November 27th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:
The Guy wrote:Blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah.

You must be really bored :roll:

I know how to write fresa ¬¬

I felt like it.
Veteran Venturer

Postby PotoGamer » November 29th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Windows Live Hotmail wrote:Additional improvements are in the works in the coming months including even bigger storage space (we'll automatically increase the capacity of your inbox as you need it[2])

[2]We've designed Windows Live Hotmail storage to grow with you, but at a reasonable pace. That means you should have plenty of storage unless you suddenly want to store the planet Jupiter on Hotmail, in which case we'll send you a nice e-mail asking you to please not try to store planets on Windows Live Hotmail (although gradual storage of moons and asteroids is ok).

When I went to check my emails, I noticed a little introductory page listing some of the new features Hotmail has. In the page, I found this little bit. It's kind of awkward at first, it's still a bit funny, though it's obvious that they just needed an excuse to write a joke. :lol:
Trailblazer

Postby Kiddy14 » December 5th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have the disk size to store planets xD

Pepsi is really enjoying merchandising for christmas. Did you hear about wiwichus?
Spoiler!

Wiwichu a Meri Crismas an a Japi nu Yir!!! :lol:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Tiptup Jr. » December 6th, 2008, 11:57 am

Oh... guys, you have not lived until you've had a float full of cheerleaders screaming your name during a parade. I believe I am now officially awesome. 8-)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Rodent » December 6th, 2008, 2:21 pm

Hey Potogamer, I get Animal Crossing in a few hours. :D Up for WiFi later? :)
And what villagers do you have?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby PotoGamer » December 6th, 2008, 2:30 pm

OK, probably later, since my mom's watching the TV connected to the Wii right now.

Well, so far I've got a bunny named Carmen, a hippo named Harry, two ducklings, Maelle and Joey, a panda named Chester, a pig named Truffles ( :lol: ), a dog named Goldie, two elephants, Margie and Opal, a lion named Mott...I think I named all of them.

I'll put up my AC FC later on my profile, but you can just add the Wii number meanwhile.
Trailblazer

Postby Jomingo » December 7th, 2008, 6:53 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Oh... guys, you have not lived until you've had a float full of cheerleaders screaming your name during a parade. I believe I am now officially awesome. 8-)

Care to explain?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » December 7th, 2008, 8:35 am

Certainly.

In case you haven't picked it up yet, about three months ago I moved down here to Alabama. So, you know, I guess I'm more popular with the ladies here than I was in my old school... so when we were leaving the Christmas parade last night the JV Cheerleaders' float was going by, and after one of them said "Hi, Tim!" The whole thing erupted with screams of "OMIGOSH, IT'S TIM!!!11!!!1@31!", and I had lots of candy thrown at me. It was quite awesome. (but now I gotta wait until Monday to work some of that Tiptup magic, darned weekends. ;) )

And Wiwichus=ftw.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Kiddy14 » December 11th, 2008, 8:02 am

These three dudes:

:( :cry: :roll:

Are scary.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Rodent » December 11th, 2008, 9:06 am

No they aren't. Don't be stupid. >:(

:P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Rodent » December 12th, 2008, 8:22 pm

Hah, that almost looks real. Besides the breast plate (ahem.) being cardboard, it looks cool. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Gnawzooka » December 14th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Hi guys. New Avvy. Whaddaya think?
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby gamer_boy997 » December 14th, 2008, 2:40 pm

Nice Gnawzooka! Are you going to keep it, or change back to the other avvie once the avatar problem's been fixed?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Gnawzooka » December 14th, 2008, 2:41 pm

What avvy problem? I just felt like a change.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby gamer_boy997 » December 14th, 2008, 2:42 pm

Well, after Qyzbud made that update, a lot of the avatars became broken, like mine :cry: , I guess I can no longer give credit to Cody :cry: . Unless the problem is fixed, of course.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Gnawzooka » December 14th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Oh yeah. Maybe those are the ones that are uploaded to the site.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes