The Random Thoughts Topic

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Re: The Random Thoughts Topic

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 14th, 2023, 7:09 am

Very interesting! That is a nice catch with bumble b rumble! What is the definition of the word japes? Also, Im glad to see you back! Not that you were gone, though. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Mattrizzle » March 14th, 2023, 8:30 am

A jape is a practical joke. Hijinks refers to carefree antics or horseplay. They can be synonyms of each other.

I haven't been as active lately since I've been assisting with a hacking project started by H4v0c21. It is a successor to my DKC2: Donkey's Kong Quest hack, but I can't share it here because it's based off of p4plus2's Donkey Kong Country 2 disassembly, and sharing ROMs or anything that can be assembled into one is against this forum's rules.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Super Luigi! » March 14th, 2023, 12:48 pm

I understand, Mattrizzle, so don't worry about that. Take your time and keep your secrets, since you're doing far more important work than I am.

For my random thought, I don't think the caves on Donkey Kong Island are supposed to be scary.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 14th, 2023, 5:49 pm

Thanks for the definition, Matt! I finally picked up speedrunning again since my 46:11 pb. After a several month hiatus, I picked it back up during the blackout! As you could guess I get a very limited amount of screentime. I did some casual running tonight. Sadly, i didn't record anything. But I got a 4237! I finally broke my garbage pb! Using more difficult strats and more consistent running. my 4611 was one of the first times i actually bothered to finish a run, and it was incredibly sloppy. I just wanted to have a pb unlike lz. he just ground and ground like i was doing. I have a lot of room for improvement and in time, i won't be remotely satisfied with this run, but it's a start. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Mattrizzle » March 15th, 2023, 12:44 am

I suppose this video is safe to share. As of writing this, H4v0c didn't include any external links in the video description or comments.

This is from three weeks ago, before my involvement. Since then, the weird palettes seen throughout (with DK and the DK Barrels, the latter of which cycle palettes to tell which Kong is inside) are gone, the life icon shows whichever Kong is leading instead of Diddy, and more progress is being made on importing Kiddy's animations. Many other bugs not seen in this video have been squashed as well.

Tanager: Even though I developed boss rush hacks, I ironically don't have much to say regarding speedrunning, but keep it up and I'm sure you'll keep breaking your own personal record!

Super Luigi: The mine shafts (not including mine cart or walkways levels) have the scariest vibes of any level archetype in DKC1, especially Stop and Go Station and Loopy Lights. Elevator Antics is the only cave level where I truly feel any sense of danger. Wait! There's another non-alliterative, non-rhyming level name!

Gold DK in the video looks like he has a grotesque skin condition...
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 15th, 2023, 4:31 am

Amazing job! The other videos were also great! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » March 15th, 2023, 11:08 am

I wasn't referring to the mine levels, Mattrizzle, although those stages likely wouldn't be as scary if they didn't have the music or poor lighting. There are simply times when I want to see a DK Island cave without enemies attacking.

Also, I love the way I used to type when I first joined the Atlas. For better or worse, I definitely had passion.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 15th, 2023, 1:36 pm

I had to go because of an online chess tournament. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » March 16th, 2023, 12:36 pm

That's fine. Keep up the good work, Tanager, and I'm sure you'll become a grandmaster in many aspects one day. Don't rush and run yourself ragged, however.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 20th, 2023, 12:10 pm

My random thought today was building a level with kremlings as good guys and Kongs as enemies. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 20th, 2023, 12:18 pm

A 40xx run almost happened today. I messed up Arctic Zip!!! Then Castle Crush wrong warp. I gave up. :parry:

:edit: 1000 posts???!!!!!!!!!! A major milestone in my opinion.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Mattrizzle » March 21st, 2023, 6:07 am

Congratulations, Tanager! After almost 15 years, I don't even have half that amount.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 21st, 2023, 10:53 am

Thanks! Though as you once said, you’re more quality than quantity! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » March 21st, 2023, 12:09 pm

You are still a quality member to me, Tanager, just like Mattrizzle. Don't forget how important you two are, even if you don't think about it much.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 21st, 2023, 3:11 pm

Thanks, Super Luigi. I don’t think anyone has ever accelerated this fast in posting. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » March 22nd, 2023, 11:31 am

It's difficult to say, but even I probably wasn't as speedy back in the day.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby Super Luigi! » March 23rd, 2023, 11:41 am

Here's a thought: Graham crackers are tasty.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby Mattrizzle » March 23rd, 2023, 12:22 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:You are still a quality member to me, Tanager, just like Mattrizzle. Don't forget how important you two are, even if you don't think about it much.

Older folks like me wouldn't have come out of the woodwork if not for you two* breathing life into this place! :ck-tf:

It isn't much fun posting in a forum if you don't have anyone to engage in conversation with.

*And Sledge, Rainbow, Cyclone, and Simion32 as well; sorry if I've excluded anyone else.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 23rd, 2023, 1:09 pm

Fair enough, Mattrizzle. I don't think you forgot anybody. As for my random thought today: Mapping spacetime on cartesian planes. That was my new idea today. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » March 23rd, 2023, 2:10 pm

You can thank Tanager for my return, Mattrizzle. I asked anyone who needed me to send a private message, and he did, so now I'm here. Although my posts aren't going to reinvent DKC, I'm glad to be here and help at least somewhat. Here's another random thought from me now:

I constantly think about how Diddy and Dixie are the perfect team and wonder if that's one reason why I like DKC2 the most.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 23rd, 2023, 3:09 pm

Diddy and Dixie are the perfect team! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » March 23rd, 2023, 3:15 pm

Although they're a romantic couple, I still think that they're great siblings and best friends too. That's important for a healthy relationship, after all.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 24th, 2023, 6:16 am

I’ve always thought they were more of great siblings and friends. Which is what the manual says as well. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » March 24th, 2023, 11:28 am

It's decided then. We know the characters. Now to think of more adventures for them.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 24th, 2023, 1:41 pm

And like that's hard! Also, Diddy and Tiny go on a mission together in the book. Just wanted to say that I was inspired by our current crazy story. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » March 25th, 2023, 12:20 pm

I like the sound of that book, and if you need even wackier ideas, I can always think of some.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 27th, 2023, 4:50 pm

Feel free to come up with all the wacky ideas you want! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 27th, 2023, 4:54 pm

Wait, Diddy and Tiny go on an spying adventure together in my fanfiction. But it can happen in both. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » March 28th, 2023, 3:19 pm

No problem, Tanager. Here's another idea that someone already made a video about: Rattle Battle was Rattly's revolt against the Kremlings. As for my own thought, imagine Dixie cuddling Parry and Kiddy losing his mind over that small bird thing.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 28th, 2023, 4:22 pm

I saw that video! I liked it! Rattly could be in our story. Maybe he comes to K.rool and becomes a double agent. Though he’s secretly on the kongs side. That allows him to spy on Captain Argyle and avert his nefarious plans. Which leads you to wonder, what is Kunning doing in all of this? Does he have any idea what’s going on? For some reason, I had a dream that Diddy was swimming through the area of Lava Lagoon and the roadblock was on the world map in between Lava Lagoon and Red Hot Ride. Also, I’m only going to watch the Mario movie because DK and Cranky make appearances. I hope they are in some way major in the storyline. I would be disappointed if it was just about Mario and Peach. DK and Cranky would make great additions! And who can beat Cranky’s personality! His character is really well developed! Also, I can just imagine Cranky saying to Diddy and Dixie’s future kid, “when I was your age, I only had four buttons!”. And Diddy and Dixie say that that was back in their day! Of course, I’m not saying that DK and Cranky are more important, but I want them to be participating characters. Also, the original DK is brutal. Let’s hope that Cranky has mellowed out. I think the DK is the country one. Not many people know that the country DK is different than the arcade DK. Shigeru Miyamoto loves Cranky, so I doubt that if he’s involved in any way that Cranky would not be the old and grumpy Cranky. I don’t like the Mario games that much. So they are the reasons that I’m watching. Maybe they wanted to have the Dkc community get interested and that is why they’re in there. Is it the Rattly designing for video that you watched? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » March 29th, 2023, 11:42 am

Yes, and I'm sure DK and Cranky will have major roles in the movie. I'm not sure if K. Rool would trust Rattly, but if nobody told him what happened during the levels, then he wouldn't know. We'll see what happens.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby Sledgehammer44 » March 29th, 2023, 5:22 pm

Am I the only one who finds it strange that Jungle Hijinks was originally called Jungle Hijinxs? Hijinxs as a plural form of hijinx isn't even recognized in any dictionaries as far as I'm aware.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 5

Postby Mattrizzle » March 30th, 2023, 12:21 am

Sledgehammer44 wrote:Am I the only one who finds it strange that Jungle Hijinks was originally called Jungle Hijinxs? Hijinxs as a plural form of hijinx isn't even recognized in any dictionaries as far as I'm aware.

Nope! In fact, I mentioned that around one page back in this very thread. Though it was never named Jungle Hijinks; rather, its name originally matched that of the first level in Donkey Kong 64: Jungle Japes.

The xs "mistake" is consistent throughout the game as Funky also uses 'Hijinxs' with the 's' on the end. No revision of the game corrected this either. Nor did the Game Boy Color and Advance remakes, though most languages change the name entirely. According to Super Mario Wiki, the Spanish translation (not present in the original SNES version) maintains "Hijinxs."
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Super Luigi! » March 30th, 2023, 1:17 pm

Clearly, there are some hijinxs at play here.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby Super Luigi! » March 31st, 2023, 2:51 pm

Time for another random thought: The Kongs would be final bosses to us, so hopefully, they would like us.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 31st, 2023, 2:53 pm

Are the kremlings friendly, then? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » April 1st, 2023, 7:34 am

I feel like Barrel Blast showing the Kongs and Kremlings racing together may have been hinting that the two groups are friends now, but to us, Kremlings would likely be only somewhat friendlier than normal crocodiles.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 10th, 2023, 6:33 am

Would it have been possible to build a N64 disk drive now? And what would be possible with it? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 10th, 2023, 7:08 am

Someone is apparently attempting to make a beta restoration of DKC2! I think. I’ll post the link when I refind it. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » April 10th, 2023, 11:39 am

I hope everyone had a happy Easter. Mine went well, although the rest of the week is what I'm more concerned with.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby Super Luigi! » April 11th, 2023, 1:40 pm

I often wonder if I should talk about every Kong here, but I don't really want to. Hopefully, however, I don't discuss Dixie or Diddy too much.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 11th, 2023, 2:17 pm

You don't talk about them too much. They are the most interesting to talk about! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » April 12th, 2023, 5:46 am

Next thing you know, I end up writing another story where Parry saves Dixie from cheese in a cave, which would really be the goofiest story yet. Her and Diddy are definitely a great pair of sibling friends, and when Tiny, Kiddy, or Chunky arrive, many other events will unfold. We'll see what happens for now, however.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 12th, 2023, 10:59 am

Once again, feel free to do it! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » April 12th, 2023, 3:19 pm

Thanks, Tanager, although I still sometimes worry that my stories will ruin something. I'll keep thinking about them, however.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes