Atom Data - No, Really (Record-Setting HD News Report)

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Atom Data - No, Really (Record-Setting HD News Report)

Postby VideoViking » July 19th, 2016, 9:08 am

We've went from bits to bytes, bytes to kilobytes, kilobytes to gigabytes, etc.

Could we be seeing atomi-bytes?

Simion, this is for you. From Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/record-setting-hard- ... 1783740015

George Dvorsky wrote:Researchers working in the Netherlands have developed an atomic-scale rewritable data-storage device capable of packing 500 terabits onto a single square inch. Incredibly, that’s enough to store every book written by humans on a surface the size of a postage stamp. Holy [expletive].

This atomic hard drive, developed by Sander Otte and his colleagues at Delft University, features a storage density that’s 500 times larger than state-of-the-art hard disk drives. At 500 terabits per square inch, it has the potential to store the entire contents of the US Library of Congress in a 0.1-mm wide cube. The new system, described in the latest issue of Nature Nanotechnology, still requires considerable work before it’s ready for prime time, but it’s an important proof-of-principle that lays the groundwork for the development of useable atomic-scale data storage devices.

Thoughts?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Re: Atom Data - No, Really (Record-Setting HD News Report)

Postby OneOf99 » July 19th, 2016, 1:03 pm

It seems slightly plausible, however this guy gave no references, and I couldn't find anything else about this on the internet. I am having doubts about this being real (however, I find the reasoning behind it to be possible)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Re: Atom Data - No, Really (Record-Setting HD News Report)

Postby Simion32 » July 19th, 2016, 2:34 pm

The use of chemical elements as data processing/passing structures, with bit storage.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Return to Anything Goes