DK hits the big screen

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Re: DK hits the big screen

Postby Gaz » December 18th, 2014, 10:39 am

This was...unexpected... I originally thought this was a joke.

I can't believe the movie's stars are those two. Have they done anything wrong that I should know about? You appear to be upset about their starring roles.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Valerius Dover » December 18th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Whoa, now what's this gonna be now? Classic arcade characters attacking a city? Isn't this what Cloverfield should've been? :D
Tourist
Bananas received 4

Postby MatiZ » December 19th, 2014, 6:24 am

Tell me that's a joke. It's very similiar to Old School vs New School https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7MDMdfcRfI
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 85

Postby Qyzbud » December 19th, 2014, 7:51 pm

I don't think it's a joke, but all signs point to it being an arcade-era Donkey Kong appearance, so I wouldn't expect there to be any DKC references... Still, I do have a soft spot for the game that started it all, and retrogaming in general, so I see this as something to look forward to. :)

MatiZ wrote:It's very similiar to Old School vs New School https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7MDMdfcRfI
Spoiler!

There's a good chance that short film was heavily inspired by the original Pixels short, which was released 2+ years before it:

Valerius Dover wrote:Isn't this what Cloverfield should've been? :D

Hah! Absolutely. I did quite enjoy Cloverfield, despite its lack of classic arcade characters. ;)

As for the cast, Adam Sandler is pretty much synonymous with lame, juvenile humour and formulaic writing. I did enjoy Happy Gilmore all those years ago, but I couldn't really get into anything of his since then. Oh, except for 50 First Dates, which was a pleasant surprise. I don't really know much about Kevin James or his work (although he was also in 50 First Dates, apparently), but his Rotten Tomatoes film ratings don't inspire a lot of confidence.

Still, Pixels should hopefully be a bit of fun, if nothing else. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Ribbedebie » December 25th, 2014, 1:05 am

Welp, this is as close as it gets to that DK movie I've been whining about for a good few years. I'm both confused and intrigued...

But I don't know more about movies other than animation and things with pirates and/or monsters, so I'm afraid I've got no idea what to think of Adam Sandler and why his involvement is a questionable thing.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Chibisai Kong » January 14th, 2015, 8:10 pm

Adam Sandler's ok, I guess. Everyone thinks his movies are funny but if anything they're laughably bad.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby S.T. BUGMAN III » March 19th, 2015, 2:40 am

"How much can a barrel hurt?"

Well, looks as terrible as I thought. Though the Toru Iwatani appearance was unexpected.
Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby Katastrophe Kong » March 21st, 2015, 1:56 pm

I hear it stole its plot from an episode of Futurama
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby spaceman2028 » April 15th, 2015, 1:46 pm

That much, if it explodes into fire.

S.T. BUGMAN III wrote:Well, looks as terrible as I thought. Though the Toru Iwatani appearance was unexpected.

Hey don't say that! Give even the worst looking stuff some time and it can still look great.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby JadeRose » June 19th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Oh my... I had to do a double take.

Does this indeed mean that there is an area in the multiverse where DONKEY KONG fraternizes with the abominations from FOODFIGHT?!?! Poor guy, he must be going insane. He's looking for a way OUT! I mean, hey, I guess he found it, since he's nowhere to be found in the final movie.

Does this mean Wreck-It-Ralph plays golf with Mr. Clean on Thursdays? Are cats and dogs living together? IS. THIS. SPARTA?

(Ha, I think I get the point of the post, though. Duke Nukem Forever also comes to mind. However, maybe Pixels will fall into "So bad it's good" territory. This will likely just be a fun, ridiculous romp of a movie, and that's alright by me.)
Tourist
Bananas received 13

Postby S.T. BUGMAN III » July 23rd, 2015, 11:00 am

10% on Rotten Tomatoes

For comparison, Super Mario Bros. is 16%. Quite the feat passing that limbo stick!
Tourist
Bananas received 8

Postby the_kong_br » May 13th, 2018, 2:50 am

S.T. BUGMAN III wrote:Image

hahahaha! Oh wow.

Great trivia on a lousy movie!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Return to Anything Goes