VG Mapper is soon shutting down!

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

VG Mapper is soon shutting down!

Postby Gaz » October 18th, 2012, 4:40 am

You all know what this means? Collect as much maps as you can from there and store it safely on disks, flash drives, hard drives, etc. I got all of the DKC/2/3 maps (even took a FireShot snapshot of the pages). I stored them on a disk (Simion32 said it's safer to do that). I'd appreciate help, but it, of course, isn't required. If you're lazy to get the maps, please request me what maps you want and I'll get them. You might want to hurry. The site's going to shut down in November/December.

I forgot the link; http://vgmapper.com. Soon, I'll post the maps here.

EDIT: I have the DKC-related scans from there (site page snapped by FireShot, a Firefox app, is included).
WARNING: The file is 131 megabytes!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/pcsizqfzgbdx3wg/VG_Mapper_(DKC_Maps).zip

I'll tag my buds to help promote awareness;
geno
Katastrophe Kong
Super Luigi!
Qyzbud
Blaziken257
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Re: VG Mapper is soon shutting down!

Postby Katastrophe Kong » October 18th, 2012, 7:08 am

I use VGmaps.com for all my mapping needs anyways.

And I don't really have any mapping needs.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Geno » October 18th, 2012, 10:12 am

I got all the Super Mario 64 and Super Smash Bros. (N64) stuff.

If anybody wants it, just tell me.

EDIT: And all the Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 stuff.

And the Super Bomberman passwords.

EDITEDIT: And the Super Mario RPG stuff.

EDITEDITEDIT: And the Yoshi's Island stuff.

I think I'll just say I'm salvaging as much stuff from this site as is possible.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Qyzbud » October 18th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Ah, I've never heard of VGMapper... interesting. Shame to hear it's shutting down; I wonder if the webmaster has looked at finding a free host, or teaming up with another game mapping site?

I must say, the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time stuff (by Peardian) is quite impressive. I wonder how those isometric layouts were captured/constructed... very inspiring stuff.

As the DKC stuff goes, it's mostly a collection of sprite/background graphics, and of plain terrain layouts... not really maps at all. The Spriters Resource has all of that stuff, and our own community's continuing efforts will be more than enough to replace VGMapper's collection if said site vanishes. It doesn't hurt to backup what VGMapper's hosting, but between TSR's resources, Simion32's hacking and extracting prowess, and my advanced mapping/display techniques, we'll be alright. ;)

When it comes to actual DKC level maps, we're lightyears ahead in precision and presentation...

...I've just got to work on my productivity. :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » October 20th, 2012, 2:53 pm

And that is why I am honored to be working with such dignified, respectful, and talented employees and employers.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Simion32 » October 20th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:employees and employers.

If this was work, we wouldn't be getting anything useful or interesting done. Trust me, I know all too well... ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Super Luigi! » October 20th, 2012, 3:04 pm

OK then; let's go with comrades. But what about you, Simion32? You're hard-working! You've been building the Twin Towers that are the DKC RE and LB. Qyzbud has also been managing this site for years now! I, on the other hand, am a different story. I simply advertise the business and am the company clown.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Simion32 » October 20th, 2012, 3:08 pm

Umm.... very bad building analogy... I don't expect RE/LB to be hit with "planes"! :lol:

But really, I get things done because I like doing them, not because it's "work that has to be done". There's more motivation here than just "it must be done" mentality. I actually like programming, and DKC. Combine them and you get what I've done so far.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Super Luigi! » October 20th, 2012, 3:14 pm

I'm sorry, did I seem to imply to you that you only saw it as work needed to be done? I know you like programming them. After all, why else would you have continued to do so for so long? And about the Twin Towers analogy, you have defeated Osama Bin Lucoshi, our most hated terrorist, after he attacked us with begging planes.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Return to Anything Goes