Greatest Cartoons of Your Childhood (other than SpongeBob)

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

Greatest Cartoons of Your Childhood (other than SpongeBob)

Postby Qyzbud » March 10th, 2008, 8:06 am

It was decided that the previous thread of this name should become a SpongeBob-devoted thread, so here is a thread for those who wish to discuss their childhood favourite cartoons without worrying about encountering an overwhelming number of Square Pants.

Some of my favourite childhood cartoons were Gummi Bears, SuperTed, Widget and Captain Planet. I'm sure there are some others, but I can't think of them right now. The Simpsons has always been my number one favourite though, and I like it just as much now as I did when I was much younger. One reason for this, I'm sure, is that when I watch episodes again for the first time in years, not only do I enjoy the nostalgia and familiarity, but I also understand a lot of jokes and references I didn't understand when I was younger. For all the hype, The Simpsons is wonderful. I think I'll always be a fan.

What are/were the Greatest Cartoons of Your Childhood? *sigh* ...other than SpongeBob!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Greatest Cartoons of Your Childhood (other than SpongeBob)

Postby BlueTronic » March 10th, 2008, 9:07 am

I'm gonna laugh if this thread--

Just kidding :P

On topic, I didn't really have any cartoons that I liked other than Spongebob. All the others were too stupid. ESPECIALLY Ned's Declassified. *Shudders*

Either that, or they were boring and not funny at all...

...ESPECIALLY Ned's Declassified. *Shudders*
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Stone » March 10th, 2008, 9:14 am

The Smurfs
Darkwing Dark
Samurai Pizza Cats
Robin Hood (Anime)
Ducktales
Captain Balu
Gummi Bears
I also liked the first Pokemon-episode back then, but it sucked that Team Rocket tried to steal Pikachu every episode after that. Really ruined the series for me.
Just like the Crystal Coconut in DKC ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 10th, 2008, 9:37 am

But Kong-Fu, Ned's Declassified isn't a cartoon. It's a live-action show. My favorite cartoon, besides The Great Yellow Square One, would have to be Avatar: The Last Airbender. It seamlessly blends Asian culture with a distinctively American style to tell its stories... If you don't watch, you'd better start!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby BlueTronic » March 10th, 2008, 9:57 am

But that cartoon isn't even supposed to be funny.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby nickp17 » March 10th, 2008, 10:28 am

In no particular order

Doug
Scooby Doo
Rugrats
Hey Arnold
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby cfh » March 10th, 2008, 12:00 pm

Kong-Fu wrote:But that cartoon isn't even supposed to be funny.

...does it have to be?
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 11th, 2008, 5:57 am

The topic is not Funniest Cartoons of your Childhood. I guess Avatar doesn't count for me because I'm a teenager watching it, and not a kid, but it's still a cartoon.

Oh, and the Beetlejuice cartoon! Am I the only one here who used to watch that?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby BlueTronic » March 11th, 2008, 7:28 am

The whole reason why most cartoons are funny is because that's the only way to get people to watch them. If I'm gonna watch a TV show it better be either funny, or a d*** good suspense show (like LOST)
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 11th, 2008, 10:46 am

Well, I think cartoons can be used for more than just comedy. Many Japenese shows are an example of this. Why aren't more cartoons story-ish, instead of:

"Hi Patrick!"
"Hi SpongeBob!"
"What do you want to do today?"
"I don't know, what do you want to do today?"

And so on, so forth.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » March 11th, 2008, 12:53 pm

I've always valued interesting ideas and exploration over comedy. Of course it's quite awesome to have some clever humour thrown in to bring a smile, or to make an ironic point, but stuff like toilet humour, squashed coyotes and buffoonery have limited appeal. Or at least they should. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby nickp17 » March 11th, 2008, 12:58 pm

I agree with ya Qzy, but, I could't see through the fog of crap to notice the horrid show I was watching at a young age.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Kiddy14 » April 22nd, 2008, 1:56 pm

I just noticed this thread, and I must say my Cartoons! =)

Dexter's Laboratory I just loved that series, until Cartoon Network revamped it with weird animation styles...
The PowerPuff Girls Yeah, for a time they became my heroes XD
Danny Phantom Really cool series, shoudn't have finished, but it made Butch Hartman to have more time to work on FOP.
The Fairly OddParents Or FOP as the fan community abbreviates it. I just loooove it. Don't know why, but that show made me take interest in the name "Timmy". I never knew it was the dimminutive of "Timothy" until one episode where Vicky calls him Timothy. It's not a common name for somebody here in Latin America. (You know what's funny, since it's not a common name, many kids that send drawing to the Nick magazine write his name as "Timi" or "Timy" XD)
Avatar: The Legend of Aang I really like it. Has a really cool story, I wish they don't end with it after all the books get broadcasted.
Rugrats and All Grown Up Like the shows, 10 years! I somewhat liked how they made All Grown Up. They even got a cool personality for Dil. It's a shame many Rugrats' fans didn't like it.
Scooby Doo: Where are you? and A Pup Named Scooby Doo and What's new Scooby Doo? Only those 3 I liked. The 13 ghosts from Scooby Doo was really bad. I never liked Flin-Flan. But Vincent Van Gogh was a good idea. They shoudl have kept Vilma and Fred though. The New Scooby Doo movies was really short, really. And Shaggy and Scooby Doo get a Clue is animated really weird. I don't like. All Scooby Doo movies are cool, still =)
Courage the Cowardly Dog: EPIC WIN. This show's random, odd, great, funny and bizarre :D
And... the Angry Beavers, Catdog...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby DKCplayer » June 8th, 2008, 2:53 pm

Man this brings me back. I used to watch Angry Beavers, Catdog, along the lines of those. But I loved to watch the Rugrats. I used to watch it all the time! Though I used to be scared of the Klasky Csupo logo at the end of it...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=p4rGCJwTZXI - Klasky Csupo (Graffiti logo)
I mean, the music comes outta nowhere! :shock: (Hmm... should Closing Logos be put into a new thread?
And I wasn't allowed to watch The Simpsons... :(
Well, at least I can watch it now! 8-)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby nackhe » June 9th, 2008, 12:08 am

Probably 'Boes': an old Dutch cartoon about a bull and a turtle who own a farm and get in all kinds of weird situations. :)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby WolfzGaming » June 11th, 2008, 2:29 pm

I Loved watching Atom Ant, and Yogi the bear, I Really didnt watch tv.
Tourist

Postby HavocReaper48 » October 9th, 2010, 6:53 am

Wow, has anyone here mentioned Samurai Jack? Toonami was such a good program back in the day, it's so bad it died out. Samurai Jack was so cool, even the intro is just awesome. And the intro is pretty much sang with the same two words. Samurai Jack is cool to this day. 8-)

Also, Bo-Bo-Bo- Bo-Bo- Bo anyone? That show used to be HILARIOUS... when I was younger. Still worth a chuckle or two when I see it now.

Lastly, Naruto. I liked the early episodes but later it got obnoxious and more like Dragon Ball Z. I mean, the shouting and repeated form changing is enough...
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby Phyreburnz » October 9th, 2010, 7:29 am

KaBlam! That was the greatest show ever!
Other than that, I really liked some pretty gay-ass shows. I liked Beast Wars (when Transformers was animals) and Extreme Dinosaurs (which was rrrreeeeeaaaalllllyyyyy gay, but awesome at the time!); I also liked just about every cartoon around that time. The 90's was the best for awesome cartoons, man!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 11th, 2010, 1:47 am

I just remembered that I used to watch Digimon like a biotch. I loved that stuff, for some reason... I think I was attracted to one of the characters. It came back into my consciousness when I was browsing an antique store and found a Digimon manga. I bought it. :P

And I know I constantly go on about Avatar, but in my opinion it was just the last cartoon in that era of greatness. I worry about the kinda crap that my little brothers watch (with the exception of Phineas and Ferb, which has some really clever humor that only older viewers will understand.) And SpongeBob stopped being funny years ago, so bleh.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby HavocReaper48 » October 29th, 2010, 6:13 am

Avatar would definitely be considered one of the greatest cartoon series ever. Finally, a Nick show aimed at a somewhat older audience but can also appeal to younger ones. Such an epic series, did you hear they're making a new mini-series related to Avatar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar:_Legend_of_Korra

Gotta see that.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 29th, 2010, 2:06 pm

YES!!! I'm so excited about Korra. Avatar is a pretty epic show, although looking back on it... some moments were a bit forced. Especially some dialog that's supposed to be all sad and epic but just comes across as ridiculous. Still though, best animated show hands down. Can't wait for the new series.

Also, for some reason Huckleberry Hound is funny as all heck. At least to me. :?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Phyreburnz » November 5th, 2010, 9:11 am

Ok, I can't believe I didn't say this before: Invader Zim!
Invader Zim was (and still is) one of my favourite shows! I have the dvd box set and I watch it all the time! It sucks, though because Nickelodeon took it off. They never aired the final season. Nick was afraid that Jhonen (the creator/writer/director) was going to make it too much like JTHM (Johnny the homicidal maniac, which is the all-time best, most full of curses, most full of gore, most hillarious comic I've ever read in my life).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Rodent » November 14th, 2010, 4:35 pm

The Simpsons and Family Guy are ones from my early teens I enjoy. I got into Family Guy when it originally aired on TV, the show is crap now. Dragonball Z, Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats and Pokemon are some others I loved.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 6th, 2010, 11:46 am

Kiddie cartoons:

Aaaaah!!!!!! Real Monsters! (go on facebook and my image is of Ikkus(the freaky purple one with blue lips and big ears))
Pokemon
Avatar: The Last Airbender (the original series---before Legend Of Korra)
Dragon Ball (original, Z, and GT)
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Rugrats
Code Lyoko (probably not a cartoon but it's a French-animated show!)
The Little Mermaid
Angry Beavers
Buzz Lightyear Of Star Command
Emperor's New Groove (technically a movie but who cares?)
Family Guy
American Dad
Sailor Moon (my fave characters were Sailor Mars, Sailor Mercury(why was her element thingy water?), Sailor Moon, Tuxedo Mask, and Sailor Min-Moon (Sailor Chibi-Moon in Japan)

Cartoons that probably weren't meant for kids in the places they originated:

Naruto
InuYasha (OK, I KNOW that wasn't meant for kids because it shows on Adult Swim)

Would anbody kill me if I say that I grew up with the DKC VHS 'Legend Of The Crystal Coconut'?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 6th, 2010, 11:47 am

Oh! Oh! And Invader Zim. Gir was my favorite character!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Cosmicman » December 6th, 2010, 6:06 pm

Ren & Stimpy <<< My favorite!
Rocko's modern Life<<< Really funny cast of characters.
Captain Planet<<< Before going to school I had to catch a few minutes of this guy .
Mighty Max<<< Not that popular but I really liked it.
Johnny Quest the new series<<< Loved this one too.
Batman<<< The 90's cartoon, very dark with perfect animation and story, just amazing.
Courage the Cowardly dog <<< How can someone not love this little guy?
Dexter's Laboratory<<< I really miss this cartoon, I have to buy all the seasons.
Men in Black the cartoon<<< The animation was stunning, the story, everything, most episodes were even better than both movies!!! I have to own this one too.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Phyreburnz » December 6th, 2010, 11:57 pm

I totally forgot about Johnny Quest! I used to watch that! As for Dextor's Laboratory, you can watch it on Boomerang.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tiptup Jr. » December 7th, 2010, 6:45 am

Chibisai Kong wrote:Would anbody kill me if I say that I grew up with the DKC VHS 'Legend Of The Crystal Coconut'?

No, because I DID TOO! I remember seeing it in the store and of course, my parents had to buy it for me... that so was awesome, as a kid, having a Donkey Kong movie. In fact, I just watched it again a few weeks ago to relive old memories. That show wasn't that bad, really.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 7th, 2010, 10:20 am

I watch it thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis many times a year! *holds arms out wide so they can see how many times* I found it at Blockbuster when I was about six and lost it and then found it again on Amazon but it trned out to be the Spanish version and then we sent it back and found the English version a few years ago! I DID learn some Spanish from it though. Heh heh heh...

Ah, childhood... *watches it*

You know it's funny---my half sister, who was about four or five the first time she saw it, called DK Konkey Kong for the first few months.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Ribbedebie » December 18th, 2010, 7:10 am

The Animals of Farthing Wood

seriously

The Animals of motherfreakin' Farthing Wood

I found the books when I was about 10 years old, and afterwards discovered that they also made a series after it! (that was actually more than ten years old haha) So of course I looked it up, and even with my poor English skills then, I loved it. It was really true to the original story, and I liked how they kept the gritty, fearful atmosphere the books had sometimes. I mean, I think the series killed off more characters than the books did! Even poor old Badger wasn't spared... D:

Nowadays, I don't really watch a lot of cartoons on TV. I occasionally watch Spongebob in the morning while I wait for my schoolbus, but that's it.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby SimianSegue » April 4th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Ummmmm, I just started watching these two shows, one of them you have to know, and the other is one few people know, but it's really great. The first one is Beavis and Butthead. Man this show is so funny! If you have not seen it search on YouTube Beavis and Butthead. Secondly, there is this show that was from 2002 to 2003 called Clone High, about a high school populated with clones of famous figures of history, such as Ghandi, Abraham Lincoln, JFK, Cleopatra, and Joan of Arc. It's pretty funny, but can be adult at times, just letting you know. Anyway, here's a link to the episodes, and cmon! Check em out!http://www.veoh.com/#_Browse/rel/srch/all/0/Clone%20high
EDIT: Aaaahhhh! Real Monsters is the bomb!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 4

Return to Anything Goes