What's your favourite book(s)?

No language too crude. No topic too obscure.
The one and only section of these forums where anything goes...

What's your favourite book(s)?

Postby Phyreburnz » October 3rd, 2010, 3:22 am

Well, since there are movie/tv show topics, why not a book one?

Although I'm not an avid reader, there are a few books that I haven't been able to put down.
I'm currently in the middle-ish of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series, which although is a "children's book" is very good... don't knock it 'till you try it.
I loved the book Wesley the Owl. It's a non-fiction book about a biologist who keeps a barn owl (he had nerve damage to his wing and could never be released into the wild).
The Kite Runner was a great book that gave me chills. It is really made me angry while reading it. It has very believable characters and a story that is just immersing.
Did you know that there was a Donkey Kong Country book? I read that over and over when I was younger. The front cover is the mirrored image on the DKL cartridge. Funky was taken hostage by King K. Rool and Diddy, Donkey, and Cranky go to save him.

What are your favourite books? What are they about and why do you like them?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Re: What's your favourite book(s)?

Postby Scraps69 » October 3rd, 2010, 9:21 am

I used to read a lot of fantasy as a kid. But then I got bored of the general fantasy genre - however I still have two staple series of fantasy that I want to finish - That is The Wheel of Time Series (about 13 books) by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. And The riftwar saga(s) by Raymond E. Feist (and I have no idea how many books this series is). I might start reading Brandon Sanderson books as he writes intriguing stories.

I like the Wheel of Time because it's an interesting story about prophecy, the growth and maturity of three young people (of which one is 'the dragon reborn' or essentially a 'military and magic dictator jesus') who go to save the world from the 'Dark One'. It's not just about those three - you'll get a range of viewpoints from various characters that describe their feelings about particular events. It's essentially an epic with huge battles, political events, and long and mystical journeys by various characters. But the most intriguing part about it is the magic system, men have magic called 'saidin' and the women have got magic called 'sai'dar'. However the men's magic had been tainted by the Dark One and all of them went mad a long time ago and caused massive destruction 1000's of years ago. THey're now hunted and executed, but the boy (the dragon reborn) has the ability to wield saidin and is slowly going mad but is expected to save the world by being at tar'mon gaidon (the last battle).

Essentially, there's a lot of lore in it as well. Makes me happy reading it ;). I recommend reading it. The first book is called 'The Eye of the World'.

The Riftwar Saga is about the same sort of thing. I'll just describe the first book called 'Magician'. A boy named pug and thomas are growing up but then they discover invaders from another dimension travelling via 'rifts'. The first book describes the growth of both characters as they fulfill a different destiny - one a magician, and the other well - something hardcore ;). The rest of the books is about them battling greater evils that resulted from the original book. This series is like a saturday morning cartoon in that you know what's generally going to happen but you still enjoy watching it because of the characters and fast paced writing.

I recommend that too.

Other books, Eleven minutes and the Alchemist by Paolo Coelho. The redemption of althalus by David and Leigh Eddings. And The Jackal of Nar by John Marco.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 5th, 2011, 6:09 am

The bookclub at my school is reading Divergent by Veronica Roth. I finished it the other day and I would really recommend it if anyone is into science fiction(or so it says on the inside). In January, I think, we are going to read its sequel Insurgent.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Tiptup Jr. » December 5th, 2011, 1:53 pm

The Hunger Games.

If you haven't read them, do so now.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby The Banana Bird » January 2nd, 2012, 11:39 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:The Hunger Games.

If you haven't read them, do so now.

He is right read the damn book! I love that book its amazing.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby FalsePower » January 2nd, 2012, 12:34 pm

Anything by Issac Asimov.
The Alchemist
The Hobbit

And of course, Goosebumps books.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby SexyRayman » February 2nd, 2012, 3:42 pm

I'm more into Manga books nowadays. haha
Tourist

Postby Chibisai Kong » February 2nd, 2012, 4:19 pm

Sohe newest book bookclub has been reading is Ms. Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. It's a peculiar (do excuse the pun) book but a good one at that.

And SexyRayman what manga are you into?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Return to Anything Goes