Avatar and Signature guidelines/discussion

Any comments or suggestions regarding the DKC Atlas Forum can be posted here.

Avatar and Signature guidelines/discussion

Postby Qyzbud » February 16th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Dear Members,

I appreciate freedom of expression, but I have some guidelines I would like everyone to follow when creating/choosing avatars and signatures for use on this forum.

I am planning to create a DKC avatar gallery for you all to choose from soon, but for the time being, I just ask that if possible, you would only use an avatar which is small and unobtrusive... Preferably one with a Donkey Kong Country theme to it, but I'm prepared to be lenient about that. For example; a small can of beans is fine for now. ;)

Signatures
Signatures are currently disabled, except for on user profiles. If/when they become enabled on posts, the following guidelines will apply:
Spoiler!
Signatures are something which I feel a little more strongly about. If you choose not to have a signature, that's just dandy. If you do want to have one, here is a short list of guidelines to abide by:
  • Please ensure that the content is brief, and somewhat relevant to these forums. I will clarify what 'relevant' means if needed.
  • If using an image in your signature, please choose one that is relatively small and unobtrusive, with a DKC theme to it.
  • Nothing obscene or offensive, please. Remember: this is meant to be a site for all to enjoy.

Please post below to discuss these guidelines or request clarification — or just to talk about avatars in general.

Thanks!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Avatar and Signature guidelines

Postby BlueTronic » February 17th, 2008, 3:18 am

When the gallery is up will we still get to upload our own? I like my glitched Dumb Drum.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby cfh » February 17th, 2008, 10:26 am

When more users join, it will be hard to look over everyone's avatar. I think you should only be able to choose from the gallery, then there can be a thread where they can ask for permission to upload a custom one, showing what they will use.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » February 18th, 2008, 2:32 pm

I like your glitched Dumb Drum, too. ;)

I also like cfh's wise suggestion. I think it's a very good policy actually. If people want their own avatar, and are willing to ask first by posting it in a thread (which I will create when necessary), I think that could work well. It would be a nice way to see other users' design ideas, too.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » February 18th, 2008, 5:55 pm

I guess it really depends on the activity of the forums. Then again, the DKC series is over a decade old, so it shouldn't be that hard to handle.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Jomingo » February 19th, 2008, 8:50 am

Well, until the previously stated avatar permission thread is made, I'll just ask here. I have the Brawl DK render. It's over there :arrow: on the side by my name. Is it OK?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby cfh » February 19th, 2008, 10:12 am

I don't see why not.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Cody » February 19th, 2008, 11:16 am

Hi,

Qyzbud, would you mind if I were to create a few Donkey Kong Country-related avatars for the gallery? I really like the current avatar selection, and feel that an even larger amount will attract more people into using ones that they didn't personally upload (which is something I support).

Edit: I don't know how to make the horizontal lines, but I whipped this up as a quick example:

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby BlueTronic » February 19th, 2008, 11:37 am

I made a sig which my file hosting thing can't seem to resize.
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/53b0C ... 3Ig=_l.jpg

I also made some avatars:
ImageImage

I made more avatars, but the limit of URLs in one post is 5
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » February 19th, 2008, 1:14 pm

Jom, that's quite okay.

Cody, thanks for the effort, looks good! Yeah, the more the merrier. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » February 19th, 2008, 3:55 pm

Lol, I guess he was going by the "if you can't say anything nice..." primary school rule. :lol: :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » February 19th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Hah. :)

Yours are fine, Kong-Fu. I like that they don't look boxy like the ones I made. They would blend nicely with the site.

Thanks for contributing.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 20th, 2008, 12:32 am

Yay, look at my new avatar! I'm a Kobble fanatic. Any plans to add more to the gallery? I could probably make some.

...later, of course. :D

EDIT: Oh, this one's already taken. I'll pick another one.

EDIT: Okay, I settled on K. Rool. Fear me!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » February 20th, 2008, 1:33 am

I plan to have at least one for every character in the trilogy (I've never counted how many there are in total, but that's quite a few, to be sure).

Before I make the next set, I really wanted to guage everyone's thoughts about the current style I've chosen.

I like the idea of having them be small height-wise, because having a post stretched taller than it needs to be to accommodate an avatar is one of my pet peeves. The use of the term 'pet peeves' is also one of my pet peeves, so I really should find a different expression to use. Ahem, where was I...

Oh yes. The colours in the avatars I made were intentionally 'softened' to help them fit the forum colours better, but I'm thinking it would be better for them to be really clear and vibrant, with an emphasis on capturing the character's personality. That way I think they can better represent the user who chooses them.

Any other thoughts on this before I make a new batch?

Anyone is welcome to make some of their own to contribute.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 20th, 2008, 3:53 am

Actually Qyzbud, I like the current style of avatars. They really fit in with the site. With that being said, however, I think there me be some problems down the road if you plan to include every DKC character. I think you should try to brighten them up a bit, especially the ones where you can barely see the background. It would be a great improvement.

Oh, and I'm just curious... do you plan on having avatars from Donkey Kong 64? 'Cuz I would totally love some.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby cfh » February 20th, 2008, 8:01 am

I really like the current avatar style, and I think you should have a tutorial so members can make some; that way you don't have to take time from the site to get every character in the trilogy. Also, when the DKC avatars are done, I think there should be DK64 and DKL avatars as well. That would be awesome.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Jomingo » February 20th, 2008, 8:09 am

Yeah, definately. We have to at least have Hogwash, he was the coolest enemy in DKL.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 20th, 2008, 9:53 am

The tutorial idea is genius. I would really love to make some avatars, but I don't know how.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » February 20th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Yes indeed, making a tutorial wouldn't take long, and it would be a great time-saver for me long term.

Avatars from DKC-related games are a very worthwhile suggestion, and I do like the idea. My only concern is that I want DKC Atlas' site and forum to both clearly 'belong' to the DKC SNES trilogy. Having all DKC avatars would assist that, but I think having more variety (whilst remaining DKC-related) would be great. Maybe we could make a handful of DKL ones and a couple of DK64 ones in a separate avatar gallery.

I'll continue to think about this - feel free to debate here and convince me either way. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » February 20th, 2008, 1:28 pm

I see what you mean... maybe DK64 is pushing it but we can have a few DKL avatars. Most of them, of course, should be DKC.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Cody » February 21st, 2008, 4:52 pm

I created a few more avatars:

I tried to get the characters to not blend in as much as possible...Kackle is an absolute nightmare to do.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Qyzbud » February 21st, 2008, 5:13 pm

Good job.

Kackle looks like he belongs in a nightmare, so that's fitting. :)

Does anyone have a preference between original-res and 2x res graphics for sprite-based avatars? I'm of two minds... You get more visuals packed into the small area if you use the original resolution, and the image looks sharper because it's not so pixelated... but for smaller characters like Bitesize there, it might be nice to zoom in to frame him more closely. Oh, and there's also the retro-charm factor of pixelated graphics. Gotta love that retro-charm.

Examples of original-res:
ImageImage

Examples of 2x:
ImageImage

There's no reason we can't mix-n-match, but I am curious which style is preferred.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Guest » February 21st, 2008, 6:33 pm

Personally, I prefer that the normal-sized sprites. I feel that they let you see the character in more of a natural environment.

Postby Cody » February 21st, 2008, 6:37 pm

..oops, I had no clue that I wasn't logged in. Sorry about that.

Would you mind if I did avatars for every character not yet completed, Qyzbud, or would you feel comfortable taking care of select characters yourself? Whatever pleases you is fine with me. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Kowbrainz » February 21st, 2008, 6:41 pm

Are you using a decent image program? Might be good to use the video lines effect or whatever its called in your program to get the same style Qyzbud uses. Otherwise they're quite nice. :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Cody » February 21st, 2008, 7:58 pm

Unfortunately, I use Microsoft Paint, so I can't use any type of effect. Perhaps Qyzbud could touch them up?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 21st, 2008, 11:20 pm

I prefer the original-sized avatars as well. The pixely ones look horrid, no offense.

EDIT: Except the one where Bristles (is that his name?) is smiling at the screen. You should keep that one.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » February 22nd, 2008, 1:05 pm

Okay, glad to have a consensus so far... I'll go with the original size. Many good reasons to go that way, the most important being that you, the DKC Atlas community, are in favour of that approach.

Cody, I quite appreciate your generosity, and would be most appreciative. Besides, I know you have an eye for quality, so no worries there. As for touching them up, that would be no problem at all. If you guys like the line effect, that's is... They are a little more interesting/unique that way, but it was just an idea, and we can keep it or drop it depending on public opinion.

I like the Bristles one, too. I'll recreate that one though... It looks a bit... blue. :|

Keep the ideas and submissions flowing, guys.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 22nd, 2008, 2:53 pm

Sorry for being a bit naggy, but... When's that avatar tutorial coming? I'm helpless when it comes to this here fancy masheen. :oops:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » February 22nd, 2008, 3:23 pm

Okay, well shall I whip one up for Paint?

You can't do all that much with Paint, but all Windows users have access to it, and with the exception of the 'scanlines' effect I used, you can certainly produce some good screenshot-based avatars, as Cody has demonstrated.

If you have more fancy graphics programs, let me know.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 23rd, 2008, 1:30 am

I have Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006. Can you make them with that?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby BlueTronic » February 23rd, 2008, 9:18 am

I have Microsoft Powerpoint 2007. It's a very useful for handling this kind of stuff.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » February 23rd, 2008, 12:44 pm

Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 is one I'm not familiar with, but I'm sure it can handle avatar creation. I mean, if Paint can...

Powerpoint '07 is useful for image editing? You learn something new everyday. :roll:

Okay, I'll aim to post a quick tute in a couple of hours.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2008, 1:08 pm

It's pretty much useful for anything, especially 3D modeling. It's not a professional image editor, but it's still reliable.

Postby BlueTronic » February 23rd, 2008, 1:22 pm

Darn site signed me out during a post! :x
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby cfh » February 23rd, 2008, 2:33 pm

The problem with "3D modeling" in PowerPoint 2007 is that you cant just take the model and rotate/scale/morph to anything you want. And you can't export to .3DS for use in other programs. And you can't animate mesh.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Kowbrainz » February 23rd, 2008, 2:39 pm

For anyone wanting to use the video lines effect, google The Gimp (version 2.0 or higher I think).

Then just take your screenshot, put a TV-looking rectangular-oval shape around it as a border, then use the Video effect. Qyzbud might use some brightness and contrast settings as well, I'm not sure.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby cfh » February 23rd, 2008, 2:45 pm

I would very much appreciate a GIMP tutorial for avatars!
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby BlueTronic » February 23rd, 2008, 3:39 pm

cfh wrote:The problem with "3D modeling" in PowerPoint 2007 is that you cant just take the model and rotate/scale/morph to anything you want. And you can't export to .3DS for use in other programs. And you can't animate mesh.

Just because I said "It's useful for 3D models" doesn't mean it's one of those $1000 animation gizmos that can do everything known to man. :roll:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » February 23rd, 2008, 4:27 pm

Kong-Fu. If you don't like being banned, don't invite it.

Edit: That's more like it.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 24th, 2008, 5:26 am

Okay, I downloaded GIMP, but I still have no clue how to make avatars. I'm extremely confused. Somebody help!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » February 24th, 2008, 7:57 am

Well now I'll have to download GIMP to create a tutorial!

I've got a hunch my dial-up is going to make that a nuisance.

Well anyhow, I'll provide a Paint tute for those who like the simplistic approach, I can download a copy of GIMP next time I have better 'net access.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » February 24th, 2008, 11:57 am

I have dibs when someone eventually makes a Brash Bear avatar. I'll probably make one myself when the tutorial is up.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby cfh » February 24th, 2008, 12:50 pm

There are a lot of avatars I would like... I can't wait for the tutorial!
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 24th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Assuming DK64 avatars will be permitted, I call the eventual Booker the Bookworm avatar.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby BlueTronic » February 24th, 2008, 2:11 pm

Jomingo wrote:I have dibs when someone eventually makes a Brash Bear avatar. I'll probably make one myself when the tutorial is up.

I made 3 with your name on it...

...Okay, they don't have your name on it, but what'd you expect?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » February 24th, 2008, 2:21 pm

I've put together a basic tutorial for making screenshot-based avatars in MS Paint.

It's not the most awesome guide, but hopefully it will help some of you begin to make your own DKC Atlas Forum Avatars. I plan to create (or have someone else create...) a better MS Paint guide, and one for other programs, such as GIMP.

Until then, look here - Tutorial: Create your own Avatar in MS Paint

I hope that helps. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Next

Return to DKC Atlas Forum Discussion