Forum suggestions: layout, features, settings etc.

Any comments or suggestions regarding the DKC Atlas Forum can be posted here.

Re: Suggestions for DKC Atlas Forum: layout, features, etc.

Postby Qyzbud » July 2nd, 2008, 3:31 pm

Kiddy, your ideas are nice ones. I'll see what I can do about a calendar, as I think it would be nifty.

I will work on both the mini profiles and the full profiles tonight, hopefully.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » July 3rd, 2008, 1:18 am

Yeah, a calender would be nice, it probably wouldn't show much other than birthdays, though.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Stone » July 3rd, 2008, 3:05 am

We could fill it with crap like when DKC's 14th birthday is (would be easier if they sold them on the same day worldwide ;) )
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Jomingo » July 3rd, 2008, 5:39 am

Well, we've already decided for DKC's birthday we'll be doing DKC History Month all through November, considering how DKC, DKC2, DKC3, and DK64 were all released in November. We will probably be having something very special going on for DKC's 15 anniversary. Who knows, maybe we'll do a Christmas special. We'll probably do something big whenever the DKC2 Atlas is ready to debut, whenever we start working on that.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » July 20th, 2008, 7:29 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:I also think the Joined info should stay only in the member's profile, rather than his/her posts.

I've now removed the joined info from postprofiles, and they do look cleaner now. Do we think this is a good change?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby FunkyKong » July 22nd, 2008, 3:54 am

I think the forum needs more of a Jungle theme :)
Trainee Trekker

Postby Kiddy14 » July 26th, 2008, 10:57 am

Kiddy14 wrote:And what about languages packs? :D Like Deutsch or... Spanish? :P

Kiddy14 wrote:...I was kinda wondering, can we have a Calendar?

Or as an alternative, the upcoming Birthdays.
Simion32 wrote:Give users the option (during post-editing) to mark a thread as "last post edited" when said post is also the last in the thread.

I realized an alternative of this is already in the forum. When you are the last poster of a topic and it was in about a few weeks, a "Bump Topic" button appears next to "Bookmark Topic". You can edit the post and then click the button. But I'm still into the button, since you have to wait for the "Bump Topic" button to appear.

Oh, and may we have the option to choose how many replies/topics we can see? I'd like to see 50 per page instead of the normal 35, but I know many people are ok with it so it would be cool to have it as a configurable option.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » July 26th, 2008, 11:49 am

Well, I think it's better if everyone views the same format. I don't know, it would just limit confusion.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » July 26th, 2008, 12:01 pm

You mean with the languages pack or the posts on display? I don't think it would be a problem with both, maybe with the language packs, but the posts would be the same.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » July 26th, 2008, 12:05 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:I'd like to see 50 per page instead of the normal 35

Done.

I may make this user-configurable in the future.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » July 26th, 2008, 12:07 pm

But now we can't do the 35 post jiggy. :(
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » July 26th, 2008, 12:20 pm

...which has been outlawed, anyhow.

It was the 36th post, by the way. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » July 27th, 2008, 2:47 am

Oh, I didn't know that had been outlawed. You learn something new everyday.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 31st, 2008, 3:29 pm

FunkyKong wrote:I think the forum needs more of a Jungle theme :)

I agree, this forum only looks like clouds, and it's all blue. It looks more like the game that's not in a jungle, but takes place in the sky.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

The Random Thoughts Topic

Postby BlueTronic » August 5th, 2008, 3:50 am

I think Random Thoughts should be a sub-forum of Anything Goes.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Re: The Random Thoughts Topic

Postby Kiddy14 » August 5th, 2008, 3:55 am

There are some forums which have "Spam" dedicated sections. Where people can randomly start topics. The thing with this sections is that usually post counters are disabled and topics are usually cleaned (as in deleted) constantly.

It'd be cool but I'd rather wait until the forum has more members :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » August 5th, 2008, 4:00 am

NO SPAM FORUM. Seriously though, what good can come of us encouraging members to post for postings sake?

I think we need a subforum on Other DKC related games for the Bongo games, and another one for Cameo Games. We have like 11 topics that would fit Cameo games, if you count Smash Bros.

I also think that we need a "Random" subforum onto the DKC Atlas Forum Discussion, for topics like Birthday Thread, Introduce Yourself, Post a Picture of You, and Names.

I also wish people would post in some of my topics. This one is popular, but a lot of them don't ever get posted in. It hurts me on the inside.

I also think that we need that Emu Forum we were promised. It could be a subforum of Anything Goes, right next to Banana Recipes.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby BlueTronic » August 5th, 2008, 4:13 am

No spam forum! :evil:

Shouldn't this be in the Ongoing Site Developement Discussion?

Qyz says: Er, no... it's about the forum. I've now merged it as appropriate.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby CaptainEddie » August 5th, 2008, 4:16 am

Sorry, Joemingo. You post a lot of topics. It's overwhelming. Too much for my poor pirate brain. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Jomingo » August 5th, 2008, 4:16 am

:cry:

Another thing, how come in Other DKC related Games Discussion we have to post in the subforums? In other forums you can post in the forum or the subforum, but you don't have that option with Other DKC Games Discussion. If we opened that up we could put topics there that don't fit into any of the subforums, or topics that deal with more than one subforum.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » August 5th, 2008, 5:54 am

I never said about opening a SPAM forums =P

That forum isn't opened because it is actually a disambiguation of all of the other games, but I agree that the Konga and Jungle Beat game sections are missing. They ca be mixed just like KoS and JC are.

And I also thing this should go in the Forum Discussion Forum xP
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » August 5th, 2008, 11:36 am

Yep, I've moved it here now.

Kiddy14 wrote:That forum isn't opened because it is actually a disambiguation of all of the other games, but I agree that the Konga and Jungle Beat game sections are missing. They ca be mixed just like KoS and JC are.

I've assigned subforums in Other DKC Related Games for each game that I feel is relevant to the DKC series. This lets people know what is considered as part of the DKC series. Do we really think of Donkey Konga and Jungle Beat as DKC games? I sure don't. There are more DKC characters/environments in Mario sports/racing games...

You can always discuss games such as Donkey Konga and Jungle Beat on the Gaming Discussion board, and if we later deem that game (and/or its discussion) DKC related enough, I can create a board for it and move the discussion(s) across.

Do people really think any game with DK involved should be considered as DKC related? Perhaps that's the consensus... :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby CaptainEddie » August 5th, 2008, 11:58 am

I'm not so sure about Konga, but Jungle Beat is DKCish enough for me. You still collect bannanas, beat a variety of enemies, use animal buddies, etc.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby BlueTronic » August 5th, 2008, 12:09 pm

The only "DKC-ish" ones are the DKC series games themselves. That's why they're called DKC and Jungle Beat isn't called Donkey Kong Country Jungle Beat.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kiddy14 » August 5th, 2008, 12:22 pm

CaptainEddie wrote:[...]but Jungle Beat is DKCish enough for me.

MANY people consider Jungle Beat as the ANTI-DKC.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby CaptainEddie » August 5th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Ah, but the DKC games can't be "DKC-ish" because that would mean they are esque of the DKC games.

Moreover, Jungle Beat has the same core gameplay, such as collecting bananas and using animal buddies. They just changed the characters, enemies, and enviornments.

Kiddy, people consider JB the anti-DKC because they didn't like the bold new things that were put in. You've still got a 3-D platforming side-scroller, and that's close enough to me.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Qyzbud » August 5th, 2008, 12:40 pm

Jungle Beat features a number of DKC-relevant concepts, and a comparable gameplay format...

Donkey Konga (series) contains lots of DKC elements in the form of graphics and audio media...

So I have buckled. A little. Take a look. Let me know how this works for you guys.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby CaptainEddie » August 5th, 2008, 12:48 pm

Seems perfect to me. It's a good compromise. :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby BlueTronic » August 5th, 2008, 12:53 pm

Will the SSBB topics and all the other Mario related topics in the Gaming Discussion be moved to the Cameo sub-forum?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » August 5th, 2008, 2:26 pm

...when Jomingo's finished scaling fish. I'm busy on other matters. ;)

(plz, no fish-scaling discussion here - you know where that belongs)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » August 6th, 2008, 12:28 am

Done. With the fish scaling and the topic moving.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » August 7th, 2008, 11:59 pm

Trying to decide the perfect layout for the Other DKC Related Games category... The way it currently stands, I'm not sure where the DK arcade games would belong. They don't feel quite right among the Mario and DK Titles (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, those sports titles, etc.) or the Other DK Titles (Donkey Konga/Jungle Beat). Maybe a 'DK Arcade Games' board is required. :roll:

I'd like to rename the Other DK Titles board, too. Any ideas, guys?

All thoughts on these matters are welcome.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » August 8th, 2008, 12:39 am

Qyzbud wrote:They don't feel quite right among the Mario and DK Titles (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, those sports titles, etc.) or the Other DK Titles (Donkey Konga/Jungle Beat). Maybe a 'DK Arcade Games' board is required. :roll:

I see what you mean about not feeling right in the Mario sub-forum, but I think they'd do perfect in the Other DK Titles sub-forum.

Qyzbud wrote:I'd like to rename the Other DK Titles board, too. Any ideas, guys?

All thoughts on these matters are welcome.

Maybe Cameo DK Games? That's all I can think of right off the bat.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Jomingo » August 8th, 2008, 12:46 am

Other DK titles be Cameo DK titles? But the only ones that are technically cameos are the MvsDK ones!

Wow, I never thought of this but it would make sense for them to be in Mario and DK. Hmmm...

Welll, you already know that I think that Mario Discussion should be a subforum of gaming, right next to Rare.

As for Other DK titles, I don't know. It seems most of theses subforums have relatively little activity, so maybe it would be better to combine them into more vague categories. Like perhaps a Rare, Paon, and Other setup. Or maybe combine DKBB and DKR into racers. Or maybe combine DKBB into Peg swingers and just call that Paon. Or maybe instead of an "Other DK Titles" section, we could just split that into Arcade and Bongo Bangers.
Let's see....
DKL
DK64
DKR
Peg Swingers
DKBB
Mario and DK
Arcade
Bongo Bangers
Hmmm, that would cover everything, wouldn't it? But then, there's the question of whether we want to cover everything? It seems you don't think that the Mario or Other DK titles are DKC enough, so we could just make them into a combined "Irrelevant DK Games" Discussion under Gaming. Or just have the General Mario Discussion under gaming, and leave the Other DK Titles where they are.
I don't know, anybody else have any ideas?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » August 8th, 2008, 10:32 am

Some fine suggestions, Joey Joe-Joe Junior Shabadoo... I'll wait to hear what others think before making changes.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 8th, 2008, 10:55 am

Oh, Qyzbud. Such are the woes of a Donkey Kong fan.

The way I see it, the board should be divided like this:

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Other Donkey Kong titles (Rare era): This would be for DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, and the Donkey Kong Lands.
Other Donkey Kong titles (Arcade era): For the discussion of Donkey Kong and its sequels, as well as the Game Boy iteration and the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series.
Other Donkey Kong titles (Bongo era): Jungle Beat and Kongas.
Other Donkey Kong titles (Paon era): Kings of Swing and Barrel Blast.
Cameo titles that feature Donkey Kong and/or a DKC-related character: The only reason why I didn't put "Mario titles" is because the Smash Bros. series wouldn't fit under that umbrella.

So, those are my thoughts at least.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » August 8th, 2008, 11:00 am

Hmmm... well first off it looks as if each of those "eras" are whole forums and not subforums. I think we'd rather have only the DKC's each get there own forum, and then the rest be under one forum. This puts more focus on the DKC's as that's what the sites about.

Also, bad wording. Instead of calling each one Other Donkey Kong Titles (..... era), let's just call each one ".... Era".

I'm not sure about that setup. Let's wait until Qyz posts.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » August 8th, 2008, 11:25 am

Here's my post.

Erm, anyhow, I like several of both of your suggestions, and I agree with Jomingo's entire previous post. I like the 'eras' idea. Finding a balance between eras, genres, developers, etc. is a fair challenge... I'll put forward my proposed layout after I've had some breakfast. In the meantime, continue the debate!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 8th, 2008, 11:58 am

Oh my God! You're just now having breakfast?! I'm about to go to bed! ...Time zones amaze me.

Like Jomingo said, instead of having "Other DK titles" we could just put "Rare era" or "Paon era". But it doesn't sound very thorough... Ah, I'm sure we'll work it out.

Good night/morning, everyone! :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » August 8th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Timezones are a strange and bewildering thing. I mean, I'm already half way through Friday... :)

My current layout plan:

General DKC Discussion (Discussion of the DKC series as a whole)
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Other DKC Related Games
- Rare (DKL, DKR, DK64: subforums for each game... or all on one board... ?)
- Paon (single board)
- Bongo (single board)

The idea of combining multiple DK games into a single board has both pros and cons... We can always add subforums if the need arises, though.

I'm thinking that these are probably best placed in the Unrelated Discussion's Gaming Discussion board:
- DK Arcade Games (single board)
- DK/Mario Crossovers (single board)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » August 8th, 2008, 12:58 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Timezones are a strange and bewildering thing. I mean, I'm already half way through Friday... :)

It's not even Friday over here! It's like 9:30 PM Thursday. :?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 8th, 2008, 1:09 pm

Qyzbud wrote:I'm thinking that these are probably best placed in the Unrelated Discussion's Gaming Discussion board:
- DK Arcade Games (single board)
- DK/Mario Crossovers (single board)

Hmm... the DK Arcades are strange beasts, aren't they? The Gaming Discussion is probably the best place for them now, but all four NES-era Donkey Kong games are now available on the Virtual Console, and rumors are flying about a third Mario vs. Donkey Kong. Just a fair warning.

And Kong-Fu, you're an hour behind me! Great Scott! (Who exactly is Scott, anyway? :D )
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Kiddy14 » August 8th, 2008, 1:24 pm

I like your idea Qyzbud. Consistent. Logical. Easy to remember where the forums are =)
But I think not to "clasify" everything. I don't think we need to separate every game DK has also appeared on.
Maybe, you can add a Other DK Titles and then add inside DKC Related Games without subforums (general talk of them), and Old DK Games. DKA was prior DKC and MvsDK is a spiritual sequel to this one, so those games would fit inside Old DK Games (note that I'm not saying it as "Old Games featuring DK", I'm saying "games featuring old DK personality"), without subforums.

Qyzbud wrote:Timezones are a strange and bewildering thing. I mean, I'm already half way through Friday... :)

Imagine if at the end of Friday you fly to the US. You'd go through Friday, August 7th 2 times in your life O.o
We're technically in your past while you're in the future. Time paradox or thingies like that xD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » August 10th, 2008, 12:26 am

I like Qyz's setup right there. It looks good to me, though I don't know if we need two unrelated DK discussions(DK Arcade and DK/Mario). I think we should combine them in some way. Either we just put the arcades into DK/Mario, or just call it one "Unrelated DK games" category. Or, we could keep DK Arcade, and then change DK/Mario to General Mario Discussion. I think that Mario is important enough to the DK series that he deserves his own entire unrelated category. Besides, half of the Mario Crossover games are more DKC relevant than Jungle Beat. :roll:

EDIT: I just noticed the new Post Mortuary subforum. I like the idea, but I think it should be called Topic Mortuary, and shouldn't it be under DKC Atlas Forum Discussion instead of Anything Goes?

EDIT Squared: Also, are we going to put all locked topics here? If so, does that mean you want me to move them all there? I haven't done it yet because I wasn't sure if we were going to put all of them there.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » August 12th, 2008, 12:29 pm

The 'Post Mortuary' board is a place for locked/unwanted/redundant topics, so yeah - anything that's cluttering other boards can be disposed of there. Feel free to move any topics that seem like a waste of space; If I see anything in there that is worth having on display, I'll just shift it back.

...and yeah, I'd say you're right; it makes more sense as a subforum of the Forum discussion board. I couldn't think of a particularly fitting spot for it when I came up with the idea. 'Topic Mortuary' would be fitting, but you lose the 'post mortem' pun, that way. (although that's probably a good thing ;) )
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » August 12th, 2008, 12:40 pm

Hmm... speaking of cluttered boards, how long does it take a moved topic icon to disappear from its original board? Or do they just stay there forever? I noticed a lot of those when the ROM Hacking sub-forums got created.

I'm actually unsure whether it would be wise to have said icons removed, or even if it's possible. I just thought I'd ask. :|
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Jomingo » August 13th, 2008, 12:19 am

When moving a topic we have the option to leave a "shadow" topic in the original forum, which we choose to do sometimes so that people won't be wondering where a topic went. Sometimes topics make sense in two seperate places.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » August 13th, 2008, 10:51 am

The 'shadow topics' stay in place until we manually remove them. Typically I'll remove a shadow topic once the moved topic has received a few posts, or when I feel as though people have had enough time to get used to the move. Most (all?) of the current shadows are due for removal now, I'd say.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Atlas Forum Discussion