Are ROM hacks allowed to be discussed here?

Any comments or suggestions regarding the DKC Atlas Forum can be posted here.

Are ROM hacks allowed to be discussed here?

Postby Blaziken257 » March 14th, 2008, 12:26 pm

If so, then I'd like to share my color hacks of all three DKL games... I've learned how to color hack SGB and GBC games a few months ago...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: Are ROM hacks allowed to be discussed here?

Postby cfh » March 14th, 2008, 12:32 pm

You can discuss them, just don't post any links or where to find ROMs ;)
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Blaziken257 » March 14th, 2008, 1:39 pm

How about IPS patches? All those do is modify the ROM. They don't even do anything without the ROM...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Kowbrainz » March 14th, 2008, 7:05 pm

Blaziken257 wrote:How about IPS patches? All those do is modify the ROM. They don't even do anything without the ROM...

If somebody needs a patch, you should probably PM it instead of posting it on the forums.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » March 15th, 2008, 1:39 am

I should probably go about preparing a comprehensive 'forum/site policies' page to cover all this. I appreciate your ask-first approach, and I'd say that I'm happy for patches to be provided/linked via this forum, as there is no copyright infringing content involved. I'm already walking the line here by providing text (and eventually much more media content) copied verbatim from the ROM, but it's all done in good faith, and with respect to the companies who created the content.

Anyway, my official stance is that ROM hack discussion is fine, posting IPS patches is fine, but requesting/providing/linking any ROMs is a strict no-no.

I'm quite keen to see what you've created. You could create a thread for your DKL hacks in either the DKL discussion area, or the DKC Projects/Fanworks board... I would suggest the DKL board. I can always create a 'shadow' version of the topic, so that it appears in both places.

Welcome to DKC Atlas, by the way. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » March 15th, 2008, 8:19 am

Qyzbud wrote:Anyway, my official stance is that ROM hack discussion is fine, posting IPS patches is fine, but requesting/providing/linking any ROMs is a strict no-no.
OK. I was going to PM you about that, but now the question has already been answered. :)

Just another one of my random thoughts: You (or other admins/mods) might want to check any patch to make sure no one links to one that does something stupid like patching a blank file in order to turn it into a ROM.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » March 15th, 2008, 8:38 am

Qyzbud wrote:...requesting/providing/linking any ROMs is a strict no-no.

What would be the punishment for doing so? 40 eyelashes?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Blaziken257 » March 15th, 2008, 12:23 pm

Well, I'm going to post the DKL patches soon. The only thing I hacked, though, is color palettes.

And thanks for welcoming me. :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Qyzbud » March 15th, 2008, 1:10 pm

I think just 4 or 5 lashes from the Cat o' 9 Tails would suffice.

Simion: I think a good way to stop the remote (and rather ludicrous) possibility of 'ROM creation patches' would be a size limit. Just make the IPS file have to be smaller than the compressed size of the ROM it's designed for... Would that suffice? Besides, we can just add the 'no ROM creation patches' rule to our policies page. Then it's up to the users to ensure they don't get banned/arrested.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » March 15th, 2008, 2:36 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Just make the IPS file have to be smaller than the compressed size of the ROM it's designed for... Would that suffice?

You would have to have some way to verify that the patch is actually for the game, which is impossible with IPS.
Qyzbud wrote:Besides, we can just add the 'no ROM creation patches' rule to our policies page. Then it's up to the users to ensure they don't get banned/arrested.

That sounds like the easiest option, in my opinion.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Blaziken257 » March 16th, 2008, 8:01 am

Also, another question: how about songs from the DK games? Are those allowed to be posted? Because a while ago, I ripped every song in DKL3 (except for the death theme, the Bonus Win theme, the Bonus Lose theme, and the End of Level theme) using a very accurate-sounding version of VisualBoyAdvance...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Qyzbud » March 17th, 2008, 9:24 am

I think that would be okay. How about we call this fine for now, and I'll update the policy if need be.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » March 17th, 2008, 11:08 am

Qyzbud wrote:I should probably go about preparing a comprehensive 'forum/site policies' page to cover all this.

I've actually been itching to do just that, and since I really have no other way of contributing to the site(as I can do nothing technological), I would love to do this for you. If it's OK.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » March 17th, 2008, 11:42 am

You the man, Joe-Man-Go!

That would be great. I'll appraise it when you're ready to send it my way.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to DKC Atlas Forum Discussion