Forum troubleshooting - report issues here

Any comments or suggestions regarding the DKC Atlas Forum can be posted here.

Forum troubleshooting - report issues here

Postby Blaziken257 » November 7th, 2010, 3:23 am

Yeah... I just noticed today that the bar on the top of the page is missing. You know, the one with the control panel/private messages/log out/etc. links. It seems to be because of that Twitter thing (and I don't really understand why that's there in the first place -- I wasn't even aware that anybody here even uses Twitter). Can you bring it back? Now it's completely impossible to check private messages (without looking at the source code, which the average person likely doesn't know how to do), which is annoying since I use the feature regularly.

If anybody uses PMs as much as I do, then here's the link for it.

EDIT: After some experimentation with Firebug (a Firefox extension), I have found the following (loads of technical explanation below!):

Spoiler!
In the source code, where the <div id="page-header"> is, I noticed that the height is 130px. After extending it to 440px, the navbar reappeared again, like so:

http://oi52.tinypic.com/15i525x.jpg

So it seems that the Twitter thing (which is larger than it seems, since there's a lot of invisible content) is pushing down the navbar to the point where it's invisible.

After using Firebug to remove the <div style="float: right; position: relative; top: -58px "> portion (which contains the scripts for the Twitter thing), it no longer pushes the navbar down:

http://oi53.tinypic.com/vzd837.jpg

Of course, since I used Firebug to adjust the height from before, it will have to be adjusted a second time. After setting it to 210px, it looked like this:

http://oi56.tinypic.com/fc446a.jpg

Yeah. Something about this really needs to be fixed. Plus I noticed that the Twitter thing also covers up the search bar (I personally don't use it that much, but it's still annoying).

Would it be possible to position that div so that it's absolute instead of relative? Or better yet, place it on the BOTTOM of the page?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: One of the bars on top is completely missing

Postby Jomingo » November 7th, 2010, 4:56 am

There is a way to get into the control panel without looking at source code, and that's to go into any forum members profile and click the Send Personal Message button, which takes you to your control panel. Of course, this whole situation does need to get fixed and I've already sent a message to Qyz about it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Blaziken257 » November 7th, 2010, 4:57 am

That's a confusing and tedious workaround (not many people are going to think of doing that). But as long as it's going to get fixed then I'm OK with it.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Simion32 » November 7th, 2010, 5:52 am

Err... yeah. Qyzbud really needs to get this fixed. Critical usability issue. :ugeek:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » November 7th, 2010, 9:35 am

I'm on it, guys... it's a fiddly job, and I'm pressed for time, but I hope to have this fixed within the hour.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » November 7th, 2010, 9:48 am

No problem, thanks for the report.

I've disabled the Twitter feed temporarily to restore functionality whilst I figure out how to make it play nice...

Edit:

...aaaand I think it's all good now. Let me know. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

"You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts."

Postby Cody » April 30th, 2011, 3:50 pm

Whenever I try to log on regardless of which computer I'm using or how long it's been since I logged in last, it always says "You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to enter the confirm code from the image you see below." and then I have to type in a captcha, which works. I've noticed this for quite some time.

Does this happen to everyone or am I unique in this case? Any help would be greatly appreciated :lol:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Re: "You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts."

Postby Mattrizzle » May 1st, 2011, 3:38 am

This seems to be related to, or the same as, the problem Aaendi is having.

Problems like these haven't happened to me, so it seems that the issues are limited to a select few users. :?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Re: "You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts."

Postby Cody » May 1st, 2011, 5:53 am

Oh, sorry. I didn't know that topic existed (I only checked DKC Atlas Forum Discussion).

In a way I'm kind of happy it isn't just happening to me; it probably means it's a problem with the way the board's password encryption is set up or something (since it's happened to Qyz, Simion, Jomingo and others)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning messages

Postby Qyzbud » August 10th, 2012, 1:01 am

Hi guys,

Just a note to let you know that I'm aware of the PHP Warning messages at the top of the page here. The issue is causing some problems with the forum's layout, but is otherwise harmless as far as I can tell.

I'm working to fix the issue, so worry not. :geek:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning messages

Postby Simion32 » August 10th, 2012, 2:28 am

Ah, I just sent you a message over this, and now I see this thread.

OK, then. I guess it really isn't as bad as it sounds (but why is it a memory error?)... :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Re: [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning messages

Postby Qyzbud » August 10th, 2012, 11:33 am

After quite a bit of troubleshooting, the problem went away on its own. :roll:

Apparently it's an issue that can happen if search crawlers/bots are indexing the site and forum - they access all of the site's data at a rapid rate, and the server has a tough time keeping up with the demand. Fortunately it doesn't get in the way of actually viewing/using the forum, but it's still something I intend to fix swiftly.

I'm going to look at optimising the site/forum as much as possible with server-side compression and caching tweaks to make things run like clockwork. Hopefully that's the last we'll see of the PHP memory issues.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Forum troubleshooting - report issues here

Postby Simion32 » August 16th, 2012, 10:09 am

The PHP Warning messages are back again! :rant:

Spoiler!
Multi-line error report spoilered by Qyzbud
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/common.php on line 118: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/posting.php on line 18: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/posting.php on line 19: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/posting.php on line 20: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/message_parser.php on line 21: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 377: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » August 16th, 2012, 6:45 pm

Thanks for the report... this appears to be an intermittent problem, as I didn't notice it all day... and now it's popping up again. :facepalm:

I'll see what I can do about it. :geek:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » August 18th, 2012, 1:00 pm

I'm getting that weird PHP warning on some parts of the forum, too.

Spoiler!
Multi-line error report spoilered by Qyzbud
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1824: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1042: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1048: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1659: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Gaz » August 18th, 2012, 1:05 pm

Not those PHP stuff again :facepalm:
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby VideoViking » August 19th, 2012, 11:20 am

And there's MORE:

Spoiler!
Multi-line error report spoilered by Qyzbud[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_module.php on line 449: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/ucp/ucp_pm.php on line 83: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/ucp/ucp_pm.php on line 132: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/ucp/ucp_pm_compose.php on line 32: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/ucp/ucp_pm_compose.php on line 34: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.

All the debug warnings pop up only in pages where there's a text field for the user to input data. This is most likely a FORM-related PHP error.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Simion32 » September 2nd, 2012, 4:06 pm

Yet more PHP errors. When are these going to stop? :facepalm:
Spoiler!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/common.php on line 118: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/posting.php on line 18: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/posting.php on line 19: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/posting.php on line 20: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/message_parser.php on line 21: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 377: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1776: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1824: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1042: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1048: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » September 4th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Not sure exactly; it's an elusive problem that is difficult to troubleshoot. There's no need to report them again and again, though, as I know about them now. Thanks.

Update:
I've received a message from the server administrator - apparently the server's RAM has been upgraded, so everything should perform noticably better, and hopefully that will be the end of these memory issues*.

Please DO let me know if you see these warning messages again.

Edit: *Apparently these issues persist... :facepalm: ...but not to worry, I'll get it licked yet. :geek:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » September 8th, 2012, 10:47 am

I've been meaning to report this issue, the words on the uploader bar are gone. I've starred what I'm talking about in the photo:
dkc-atlas problem reporting.png
dkc-atlas problem reporting.png (4.61 KiB) Viewed 86370 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » September 8th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Image It's caused by the PHP errors.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Error Codes

Postby Super Luigi! » October 4th, 2012, 2:15 pm

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but whenever I visit this site now: boxes are out of place, some topics are missing, and error codes like these show up:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1776: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_posting.php on line 2505: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/search/fulltext_native.php on line 22: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool.

Does anyone know why this is happening or how I can fix it? I will continue to check into the Atlas regularly.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Re: Error Codes

Postby Qyzbud » October 4th, 2012, 4:02 pm

I'm aware of these errors/warnings, and I'm looking into a fix for them.

There's a topic for reporting issues like this, which I'll merge this topic into. There's already a fair amount of discussion of these PHP warnings (see posts above).

What browser are you using? I've modified the forum to look as good as possible in Chrome/Firefox in spite of the errors, and most other modern browsers should be displaying things pretty well, but perhaps there are certain scenarios I haven't taken into account.

What topics are missing?

Can you perhaps post a screenshot or two of the out-of-place boxes?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » October 5th, 2012, 2:30 pm

Sure, here you go. One for the Board Index and one for the Projects/Fanworks section.

Spoiler!
Board Index Error Screen.png

MissingNo..png

Thank goodness for the search function!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Qyzbud » October 5th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Oh gosh. That's positively awful.

So, IE9? I've changed the HTML document type in an attempt to fix the layout for IE... but if it's not effective, you should be able to make things look a lot better by pressing F12, then changing the document mode to 'IE9 Standards'.

Let me know if any of this helps. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » October 6th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Yep. Kingizor is probably right. It's the screwed up CSS implementation working against you. :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » October 6th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Quite likely. Unfortunately I'm not around my development computer at the moment, and can't test in IE. Are we still experiencing layout issues?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kingizor » October 6th, 2012, 9:41 pm

No, the issue seems to have been resolved.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Mattrizzle » October 7th, 2012, 12:50 am

I've noticed a different issue. The color of some text was recently changed to white, rendering it invisible against the white background.

After inspecting the Index page in Firefox, I found that the source of the problem is style.php, line 3683:
Code: Select all
html, body {
  color: white;
}
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Qyzbud » October 7th, 2012, 1:13 am

kingizor wrote:No, the issue seems to have been resolved.

Bangin' :swanky:

Mattrizzle wrote:The color of some text was recently changed to white, rendering it invisible against the white background.

That was a stopgap measure to minimise the annoyance factor of those PHP warnings... I'll fix it when I get a chance. Thanks for the reminder.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » October 7th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Besides what Matrizzle just stated, the forums seem to be back in order for me, which is a huge reprovement! My document mode was apparently already on IE9 Standards, so I didn't have to change anything.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Mattrizzle » January 12th, 2013, 9:51 am

All day, the forums have been automatically logging me out very frequently, like every five minutes.

EDIT: It hasn't happened lately, strangely.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Qyzbud » January 12th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Ugh, sorry about that. I had tweaked some 'session duration' settings in an attempt to keep the active users information on the chat/forum as up to date as possible, but it seemed to have no positive effect... and now I'm finding out that it's had a negative effect! But only for some people? Weird. Even weirder that things seem to have 'fixed' themselves without me having done anything. :|

Is anyone currently experiencing problems?

If sign-out symptoms persist, I'll change the settings back promptly.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » January 13th, 2013, 3:14 am

Just that no one is in the chat room when I get on :headache:
haha
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Soniccuz » January 13th, 2013, 8:46 am

Was also among the people constantly logging back in. I eventually set it to log me in automatically, and haven't had any problems since.

Yeah, contrary to what Who's Online is telling me the chat is empty.
"In our day the random thoughts topic was more active then this!" :rant: ;)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Qyzbud » January 13th, 2013, 10:47 am

Hahaha, yes well... I'm usually in there, but was busy all of yesterday. Hopefully I'll get a chance to chat with y'all today.

Glad to hear that 'sign me in automatically' helps, but it's still not how things should be... I'll have to do some further tweaking of those settings.

Thanks for the feedback, fellows. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Blaziken257 » January 15th, 2013, 3:25 am

I'm getting logged off constantly, even when I have the checkbox to keep me logged in checked. It happened all day yesterday and it also just happened now, so it's an ongoing issue. It seems to happen often when I enter the chat room and then leave, but I'm not 100% sure if this is the cause.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Cyclone » January 15th, 2013, 11:23 am

I have the same problem. Get logged out in less then a min all the time.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » January 15th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Okay guys, I've readjusted the session length, so you shouldn't be logged out every minute now.

Thanks for the feedback, as always. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » January 16th, 2013, 7:52 am

I really don't think it should show us in the chat after one hour :kiddysad:
Shouldn't it be like 5-10 minutes?
Simion thinks so also

Also I don't hear any sounds playing when I type a chat message. Does it only play when someone else does? :scratch:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » January 16th, 2013, 9:25 am

The refresh should be once a minute, but keep us on the list until we close the page. Currently still broken.

And sound never worked at all, I was the first one to notice the chat.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » January 16th, 2013, 9:54 am

Oh, the sound will have to be a DKC sound obviously. Maybe the banana collected sound? Or the animal token sound :swanky:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kingizor » January 16th, 2013, 10:08 am

It is the banana collected sound (link), it just doesn't work in the chat at the moment.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Qyzbud » January 16th, 2013, 10:58 am

Yes, I did choose the sound of collecting a banana in DKC... but for a reason I've yet to determine, I've been unable to get any sounds working. I'll put some more time into that functionality now, as it's a worthwhile feature in my opinion. I'm adding a page title notifier, too, which you'll be able to see in your browser's tab where it currently says 'Chat - DKC Atlas Forum'.

As for the 'active users' in the chat area — I've tried all manner of methods to improve the accuracy of this information, but there are always negative side effects. I think it's a rather flawed system. I'll have another go doing some direct database setting tweaks and see if I can get a better result. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kingizor » January 16th, 2013, 11:03 am

Qyzbud wrote:I'm adding a page title notifier

Been there, done that!

Code: Select all
var chats = (document.getElementById('mChatData').getElementsByTagName('div').length / 2);
var chats2 = (document.getElementById('mChatData').getElementsByTagName('div').length / 2);

function chat_fetch() {
    window.setTimeout(chat_fetch, 10000);
    chats2 = (document.getElementById('mChatData').getElementsByTagName('div').length / 2);
    if (chats2 > chats) {
        document.getElementsByTagName('title')[0].innerHTML = '{ ' + (chats2 - chats) + ' }';
    }
    else {
        document.getElementsByTagName('title')[0].innerHTML = '{ 0 }';
    }
}

document.body.addEventListener("mouseover", function () {
    chats = chats2;
});

chat_fetch();
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Qyzbud » January 16th, 2013, 11:18 am

I... see. :lol:

Well, I'm not exactly a programmer; I just muddle through it and learn as I go... I'm more of a visual designer, but I do like 'making things tick', too.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Next

Return to DKC Atlas Forum Discussion