Missed Characters?

Talk about Donkey Kong Barrel Blast for Wii

Re: Missed Characters?

Postby cfh » March 5th, 2008, 12:01 pm

I see what you mean by adding diversity to Kremlings... which is why I like the new ones. Still, I think for a racing game like this they should have just gone with old characters, since the new ones probably won't stick.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby CM August » March 5th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Tiptup Jr.: It's hardly certain whether that promotional postcard is canon, as it's more likely just to be a 4th wall-breaking reference to his N64 outing; either way I think it's rubbish. Not only would that mean the same tumultuous events with Wizpig occured twice in so many years, but simply skipping over 10 years with no changes whatsoever aside from Tiny is just careless, sloppy continuity. More reasonable explanation: it's just a port.

When news about Barrel Blast was still thin I had written to Rare asking about Kremling women and children. Amazingly, these new ones were revealed shortly after their response.`I liked the new Kremlings, but the problem is they're just there. There was no effort to introduce and integrate them into the main cast. We get longtime, classic and well-loved characters from the Kong's side, and a whole bunch of people we've never seen before on the Kremling side. It should have been a bigger deal since these guys were set up as the Kongs' rivals, not to mention we've never seen Kremling women and children before.

I was wrong about the DK Jet roster. Turns out the one character I'm missing is Funky rather than Ultra Barrel DK as I had assumed. No issues there.

Klump's redesign is another issue I'd like to address before I end this post. I like it... so shut up about it.

Oh yes sir Mr. Tiptup Jr. for your word is law. Your praise for Klump doesn't change the fact that it doesn't look like Klump.
Jungle Explorer

Postby cfh » March 6th, 2008, 6:46 am

I like the new "Klump"... but he isn't, you know, Klump.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 6th, 2008, 11:25 am

CM August wrote:Tiptup Jr.: It's hardly certain whether that promotional postcard is canon, as it's more likely just to be a 4th wall-breaking reference to his N64 outing; either way I think it's rubbish. Not only would that mean the same tumultuous events with Wizpig occured twice in so many years, but simply skipping over 10 years with no changes whatsoever aside from Tiny is just careless, sloppy continuity. More reasonable explanation: it's just a port.

My most reasonable explanation? Wizpig is an idiot. As far as I'm concerned, the postcard is canon and the games follow real time. So far, there has been nothing to contradict this.

When news about Barrel Blast was still thin I had written to Rare asking about Kremling women and children. Amazingly, these new ones were revealed shortly after their response.`I liked the new Kremlings, but the problem is they're just there. There was no effort to introduce and integrate them into the main cast. We get longtime, classic and well-loved characters from the Kong's side, and a whole bunch of people we've never seen before on the Kremling side. It should have been a bigger deal since these guys were set up as the Kongs' rivals, not to mention we've never seen Kremling women and children before.

Okay. Yes, the new Kremlings are just there. But think about it: How many months has it been since Barrel Blast's release? About six. Not enough time has passed for us to learn about any of Paon's future offerings (Assuming Nintendo hasn't dropped them) and they're probably working on a Donkey Kong game as we speak. If you still don't think the new Kremlings are getting anything, they have trophies in Brawl with full character descriptions. Check out Brawl Central's Trophy Guide.

Oh yes sir Mr. Tiptup Jr. for your word is law.

Thank you... HA!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby CM August » March 6th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Tiptup Jr. wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the postcard is canon and the games follow real time. So far, there has been nothing to contradict this.

CM August wrote:either way I think it's rubbish. Not only would that mean the same tumultuous events with Wizpig occured twice in so many years, but simply skipping over 10 years with no changes whatsoever aside from Tiny is just careless, sloppy continuity.

Also, the Brawl trophy profiles are mostly a description of their gameplay abilities. The Kludge trophy for instance tells us absolutely nothing. Tiny's profile doesn't even mention she's Dixie's younger sister.
Jungle Explorer

Postby holysnap » March 7th, 2008, 9:29 pm

To be honest, I think they should of focused more on the kongs than making kremling counterparts for all of them.
Tourist

Postby Jomingo » March 8th, 2008, 5:02 am

Although there are many more deserving characters, I do like most of the new kremlings. I agree that they should've gotten a better introduction, but what else would you expect from a racing game with no storyline. And about Klump, I think it looks just like him but with different clothing, and we've seen him dress differently before (as kannon).

Oh, and my word is law. Tiptup's are more like bi-laws, or perhaps codes of conduct. Ah thank you.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Graf Saecula » March 10th, 2008, 5:42 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:I find that highly offensive, Graf. Donkey Kong 64 was an awesome game (...)

How is anything I said offensive? I actually like DK64, but most other Donkey Kong fanatics don't. I was trying to talk from the sight of the whole community - or at least the majority.
Newcomer
Bananas received 1

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 10th, 2008, 6:34 am

Graf Saecula wrote:Besides that: Barely any Donkey Kong fans liked DK64 - I doubt this would have changed much if Rare had replaced two characters' skins. It's not worth complaining about; the game would've been the same.

I know you weren't refering to us as a whole, but still... Why do people hate DK64? Yeah, we've all heard the "collect-a-thon" argument, but if that's all you have against it, I'm calling you shallow.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » March 10th, 2008, 6:37 am

Yes, it sucks that most DK fans dislike DK64, but that isn't any reason to take it out on Graf just for stating that fact.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 10th, 2008, 6:40 am

Hey, I didn't mean to start anything. Sorry dude. 8-)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » March 12th, 2008, 8:04 am

Oh, I didn't mean to come after mean or angry or anything. You weren't starting anything really, I was just saying.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » May 28th, 2008, 10:25 am

I had this crazy dream last night where the guy from Jetpac was playable in Donkey Kong Barrel Blast: Ultra Death Kill Stories 2. Technically, it could have worked, because Jetpac was in Donkey Kong 64... But now Rare's gone, and I'm one depressed little turtle. :|
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Raccoon Sam » May 28th, 2008, 10:07 pm

Klasps, Kuchukas and Knockas. MAN they were awesome.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby DK4Ever » July 30th, 2008, 3:55 am

I did not care for the following : Tiny, Kalypso, Kip, Kass, Kludge.

I don't know why the put Kludge instead of Krusha, and they didn't HAVE to keep it 1:1 Kongs-Kremlings

We could have used Chunky, Kiddy, Swanky, any of the Brothers Bear, sigh...
Treasure Hunter

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 30th, 2008, 1:21 pm

I barely play this game anymore due to certain "limitations" (trampolines are evil :? ) but I honestly think that this game should have had at least two more characters... maybe Kiddy and his new Kremling counterpart, Krybaby.

I know, I'm a genious! :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby DK4Ever » July 30th, 2008, 1:27 pm

Lol ya know, that's actually not a bad idea. Krybaby and Kiddy for DKBB 2!

(I don't care if he's a made up character, if Krybaby brings Kiddy back, whatever works)
Treasure Hunter

Postby Jomingo » July 31st, 2008, 1:43 am

Yeah, Krybaby has already been discussed in this topic I think. Anyway, yeah he sounds cool. I imagine him being a blue Kremling, in a diaper, with only one or two teeth. So cute....
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby swoopysalvo » August 21st, 2008, 3:51 pm

I was hoping to see a roster like this.

Donkey Kong= Kritter
Diddy Kong= Kip
Dixie Kong= Kass
Kiddy Kong= Krunch(Also Krunch wasn't a drone if you can tell he was way different from kritter also he is a kremling child like Kip and Kass and Diddy's first kremling rival. Also Kiddy Kong was three years old in DKC3. He was able to walk and talk and with time that has passed I don't think he would be a toddler anymore. So having a baby as his rival would be kind of weird.)
Lanky Kong= Klump(Stat rivals in BB)
Tiny Kong= Kalypso
Chunky Kong= Krusha
Funky Kong= Kludge(also Funky isn't stronger then he was in DK64 or DKC3. He has had the same build for years. Except now he's playable. Even strong. I don't think he's tough since he seems more laid back and uses his strength for things like building and stuff. Honestly I can't imagine him in a fist fight. I can with the other Kongs like DK and Chunky since they are willing to take shots.)
Wrinkly Kong= Kopter(stat rival in Barrel Blast)
Cranky Kong= King K. Rool
Extra:
Candy Kong=(insert a kremling here)
Swanky Kong=(insert DKC2 kremling here)

But if there was a menu of the Kongs eyeing down the kremlings I'd rather see.

Donkey Kong= King K. Rool
Diddy Kong= Krunch
Dixie Kong= Kopter
Kiddy Kong= Kludge
Lanky Kong= Klump
Tiny Kong= Kalypso
Chunky Kong= Krusha

Also Nintendo and Paon. Could you please bring back the Kiddy Kong, Swanky Kong, and Chunky Kong.
Tourist

Postby Kimi Kong » June 17th, 2010, 8:21 am

I think all the playable characters and the original characters in all the games should be used. Example:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Kiddy Kong
Chunky Kong
Lanky Kong
Tiny Kong
Funky Kong
and even Candy Kong, even though she is my least favorite.

I dont know about the kremlings, though. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 136

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 18th, 2010, 2:50 pm

Yeah, I thought this would be our chance to see playable Candy and playable Swanky... Someday. :P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Ribbedebie » January 22nd, 2011, 9:09 pm

The only ones I really miss are Chunky, Kiddy, and Krusha. D:

But aside them, the character roster is decent. I mean, all the Kongs are original ones, and the newer Kremlings are cool.

I haven't played the game yet, so I can't really judge. :/
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Chibisai Kong » March 1st, 2011, 1:33 pm

Jomingo wrote:I took out Wrinkly since Kiddy was in, and I really think she should crossover to the other side already.

No way, man, who will tease us with half-truths(DK64 reference)? Besides I thought it'd be cool if my brother was racing as Diddy and I was either her or Cranky and I beat him because not ONLY would he have been beaten by either elder it would also be a shame to hear on facebook that his little sister beat him at a DK game for once in our lives. :)

Jomingo wrote:I never thought it made any sence for a ghost to be racing with bongo-jets.

BUT! It was a funny idea.

Well, in my opinion, Swanky should have been the one to do the challenges. We haven't seen him in years, just like Kiddy. Besides, Swanky's a BEAST(I mean that in the good way(you know, meaning he's awesome))!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 2nd, 2011, 2:08 pm

I agree, Swanky doing the challenges would've made a lot more sense. Especially if they integrated some system where you have to pay a certain number of bananas to play certain challenges or something... anyway, before I die, I HAVE to see playable Candy and Swanky. Barrel Blast was a good start, but they're the only non-playables left in the main cast... maybe even a Mario game could change this. I wouldn't mind.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Chibisai Kong » March 2nd, 2011, 2:28 pm

WONDERFUL IDEA, TIPTUP!!!!!!!!!!!! WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like how you think, dude.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby SimianSegue » May 22nd, 2011, 2:11 pm

Jomingo wrote:Well, in order to start this shiny new forum off, let's talk about characters you wanted in Barrel Blast, or maybe those you wished weren't in it.

First, I really miss Kiddy Kong, and I also would've liked to see RockKroc. And I absolutely dispise Tiny Kong.

HOLY CRAP MAN!!!! I used to hate Kiddy Kong, but now he is my favorite character!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 4

Postby Kimi Kong » November 10th, 2011, 3:46 am

*sniff* they forgoted Kiddy and Chunky. (i hope grammer isnt a big issue cause i refuse to be normal)
I really havent got to play the game yet (but bet your sweet back buns i will when i get another wii) but ive seen a video that showed all the playable characters and i was like "WTF!? Who the hellicopter let Lanky in this game!!?" (by the way, im only masking the swear words cause i dont wanna be banned for using vulgar language so if your brain isnt the size of a Necky's nut[the one he shoots at you, pervs!] then you should know what i'm saying.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 136

Previous

Return to Donkey Kong Barrel Blast