Jungle Climber: Opinions about the game

Talk about Paon's peg-based DK games:
DK: King of Swing for Game Boy Advance.
DK: Jungle Climber for Nintendo DS

Jungle Climber: Opinions about the game

Postby Soniccuz » June 28th, 2008, 7:51 am

Well I got the game about a week ago and have this to say:

Graphics, Art and such: Just Decent, their better then what I've seen of the KoS games. (Without Rare the characters are considerably simplistic).

Story: Boring (Alien theme officially over used. Ex: Shadow the Hedgehog and Mario & Luigi 2. Then you've got the fact K. Rool's reduced to running from his enemies struggling to stay ahead of them instead of sitting back and letting his minions do the work, Kritters are like the least in countered obstacles in this game. Then you’ve got how Cranky follows you through the levels and gives you his literal encyclopedia knowledge of the game mechanics.

Gameplay: Good, I've never played the King of Swing games and enjoyed Climbers swinging mechanics. (Still wish for a new platformer/adventure game to surface). The down side is how slow swinging makes the game. But Paon can make good puzzles. I dislike that you only play as DK though, even with Diddy riding piggy-back, My only guess is DK uses him as a shield from attacks :cry: .

What are your opinions about the game?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Re: Opinions on the game

Postby CaptainEddie » June 28th, 2008, 8:09 am

I haven't played it, nor do I want to. X-Play said Diddy was there just to be DK's living sheild. :lol:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Soniccuz » June 28th, 2008, 8:12 am

Funny, I havn't seen their review and say the same thing.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Soniccuz » June 28th, 2008, 9:10 am

Generous of them then again it is a scale of 5. I disagree about the graphics:

compare this: King of Swing shot
To this: Climber Screenshot

Now, I'm all for good hand drawn sprites but these KoS shots don't strike me as stunning.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby CaptainEddie » June 28th, 2008, 9:27 am

But the review was for JC, not KoS....
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Soniccuz » June 28th, 2008, 9:36 am

The write up under the vid states the "Rareifyed" Climber graphics were inferior to it’s predecessor the King of Swing’s hand drawn graphics.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby CaptainEddie » June 28th, 2008, 9:52 am

Oh. I see...well that's stupid. :x
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby CM August » June 28th, 2008, 1:27 pm

Pre-rendered automatically means "Rareified"? I see.

As for Soniccuz's initial review, agreed wholeheartedly.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 1st, 2008, 1:39 am

Teh Graphix: Awesome. They could have been a tad more DKC-ish (There's a difference between Rare-like and Mario-like), but they were easily some of the DS' best.

Story: As usual, I disagree with Soniccuz and think that the story was rather unique. Come on, how many other banana aliens have you seen in your life? Mmhmm.

Gameplay: Tight, fast, and clean. Not many complaints here other than Diddy's somewhat half-baked powerups.

All in all, the game is great. But do you remember how KoS had a Diddy Mode? I was hoping this game would have a similar "Funky and Dixie Mode". Only then could it be considered the greatest game produced by mankind.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Re: Jungle Climber: Opinions about the game

Postby FunkyKong » July 24th, 2008, 2:19 pm

This game is still fun though. Havent played it for awhile but im gonna get back into it 8-)
Trainee Trekker

Postby Sean » August 26th, 2008, 12:48 pm

The "friendly alien looks for help" storyline may be overused in other places (though Shadow and Mario & Luigi 2 are not there), but for a Donkey Kong game it's pretty unique.

Spoiler!
K. Rool trying to take over the universe impressed me more before I beat Galaxy, though. Oh well, got to give the guy credit for trying.
Trainee Trekker

Postby JungleJitter » August 16th, 2010, 11:41 pm

I love JC but the game is to short and easy
Tourist

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 17th, 2010, 8:18 am

[/a worthy bump.]

Anyway yeah, I've been playing Jungle Climber lately. It's hard as heck, but it is fun. And it represents DKC nicely, albeit it deviates a little from King of Swing's path.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » August 17th, 2010, 10:14 am

I really wish I could've gotten a hold of this one. I don't have a DS, and don't have plans to get one, but if I found one for cheap (ie. twenty dollars) then I'd get one. And then I'd track down JC. Perhaps if I find the cash to get a 3DS (which seems like a much more worthy investment), then I'll get JC as DS games will be compatible.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 17th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Yeah, it's cool. (Although you might be waiting awhile if you're holding out for a 3DS). Basically Jungle Climber takes King of Swing's gameplay and speeds it up, which lets them do more quirky, puzzle-oriented things along with some pseudo-platforming. There's also stuff like the flamethrower and a hammer. I feel it doesn't "represent" DKC as much as KoS did... we went from epic bosses like Fire Necky and Sassy Squatch, plus playable everyone, to a generic robot that appears twice and some crystal banana alien (?)

Just sayin'. :|

EDIT: Yeah. My previous post says it reps DKC nicely, but you get the idea.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » August 17th, 2010, 12:39 pm

I figure the 3DS will be out in March-ish, and the earliest I would get one is the following holiday season. But hey, I've been waiting for JC since 2007, I can wait a little longer.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Ribbedebie » January 31st, 2011, 4:32 am

I only started really playing this game after I had beaten Returns. Bad choice? Not really. To see K. Rool return in all his glory was cool, even though the plot for JC was... kinda random. I liked the returning enemies that sounded EXACTLY LIKE IN DKC ARGH AWESOME /fantard
Xananab, at first I thought him a pointless filler character but the bugger started to grow on me. His cry of 'ba-NANAAAAA!' as he jumps into an, erm, portal to alternate dimension is HILARIOUS. I liked how they added Diddy too as opposed to only playing as DK, because every time I would come across him I'd happily squeal: 'Diddy! :D' and when I got hit and lost the poor fellow I would always yell out; 'D8 DIDDY!'

...yeah. I like this game. Of course it's not as good as the Country games, but still fun. I like it enough to have bought a poster of it. It's hanging over my bed now. Yay. Hey, it was the only DK-related-poster I came across on my trip to Amsterdam yesterday, you know!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby 7S7ui3 » February 19th, 2011, 5:44 am

What I like about DK-games is that it always holds standar and the sequel is never bad (expect for returns :) )
Tourist

Postby Mr.Diddy » August 23rd, 2012, 2:11 pm

7S7ui3 wrote:What I like about DK-games is that it always holds standar and the sequel is never bad (expect for returns :) )
I dont even count Returns as a sequel. :)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Mr.Diddy » August 23rd, 2012, 2:17 pm

I don't even see why people complain about JC graffics because It's A Freaking DS Game! it's not like it's an Xbox360!
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Gaz » November 1st, 2012, 2:54 am

Bit of bump, but here's my thoughts;

I love it. So challenging and hard. Especially if you want to get a perfect 100% score. I also am addicted to the minigames. I still wish they retained King of Swing's grpahics though. It would be a whole lot more cool B/ . It is really hard though, for those who love challenges. Awesome levels and everything.

Final Score: 9.5/10
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Ribbedebie » November 20th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Whoa, I thought this topic was about Jungle Climber, not about bashing Returns for no reason whatsoever!

But yeah, I have to agree with Gaz there. It's an awesome game. Beaten it 100% again recently, and yes I'm aware of the fact that I have no life.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Soniccuz » December 1st, 2012, 8:43 am

If only the left shoulder button on my DSI didn't were out... It really is a good puzzle platformer.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Return to Peg Swingers: KoS and JC