How long did it take for you to beat this?

Talk about Donkey Kong 64 for the Nintendo 64.

How long did it take for you to beat this?

Postby rarenut » February 29th, 2008, 4:45 am

I beat this game 2 years after I first bought it, mainly because there was to much crap to collect in it. XP
Newcomer

Re: How long did it take for you to beat this?

Postby cfh » February 29th, 2008, 10:01 am

I've never beaten it, because an emulation glitch kept me from beating the Gloomy Galleon boss.

Maybe I'll get an actual N64 some day :P
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Kowbrainz » February 29th, 2008, 11:06 am

1st time - 60 hours

I then went back to play it again last year and beat it in ~16. I don't think I'll play through it again for a long time, though... far too long for a game and way too many puzzles are repeated over and over again throughout the game.

Edit: Oh, and the 101% ending is SO not worth it for the amount of crap you have to do in order to achieve it. :roll:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Jomingo » March 1st, 2008, 7:06 am

Regrettingly, I never fully completed it. Maybe I'll have a chance to go back and finish it someday.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby holysnap » March 2nd, 2008, 11:19 am

I've never actually beat it. I'm not really a 100% gamer,or in this case 101%...

There's is just too many collectibles in the game.
Tourist

Postby Qyzbud » March 2nd, 2008, 12:31 pm

I must say I was really playing through DK64 hoping that if I played just a little more, I'd start to really like the game. Sadly, that never happened. I played up until the boxing match with K. Rool, and got to where he turns invisible and weaves side to side. I've got a feeling I just had to hit him one last time and I'd have beaten him and finished the game, but I lost that round and never tried again...

It's a very strange feeling, actually. :|
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » March 2nd, 2008, 1:24 pm

Qyzbud wrote:I must say I was really playing through DK64 hoping that if I played just a little more, I'd start to really like the game. Sadly, that never happened. I played up until the boxing match with K. Rool, and got to where he turns invisible and weaves side to side. I've got a feeling I just had to hit him one last time and I'd have beaten him and finished the game, but I lost that round and never tried again...

It's a very strange feeling, actually. :|

That had to be the most stupid, ass-backward part of the entire game, I have to say. I couldn't do it all those years ago, after so many times of trying. It almost felt random, the way you'd miss no matter what happened. I was surprised when I finally managed to hit him... :/

Second most ass backward part: the stupid ladybug race - part 2. Grrr...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 6:38 am

I never beat the game due to length.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 9th, 2008, 9:11 am

I fully completed the game six years after I got it. Don't be fooled into thinking that the second ladybug race is impossible-It's not!

But I don't feel like telling you my secret. :|
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby DK4Ever » June 30th, 2008, 2:04 pm

First time it took about 6 months.

Second time, about 2 weeks.

And yeah, the second lady-bug race isnt impossible, I just had to try it about 50 times (seriously) to beat it)

And am I the only one who actually ENJOYS the massive amount of collecting you have to do in this game? It gives me a sense of accomplishment, lol.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Stone » June 30th, 2008, 8:29 pm

in DKC2 manual, Cranky wrote:I've never seen so much worthless rubbish! I'm surprised they don't give you a special 'trash barrel' to haul it all around in!

This quote fits DK64 much better ;) (I hope this was not krammatical krap...)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Parn » July 7th, 2008, 4:50 am

For me it took me three years to beat it the first time. The second time arround it took me a year and a half to beat it.
Tourist

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 7th, 2008, 6:01 am

I don't know how long it took me to beat it, first time I got it, I rented it. Then I got a used copy of DK64, and I decided to play on the file that's the farthest. Sometime later, I started a knew file, and I have no idea how long it took me.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Mattrizzle » July 7th, 2008, 7:52 am

I've had the game since the Christmas after it was released(almost 9 years) and I still haven't beaten it! I just can't get past the Nintendo Coin run-through of the Donkey Kong arcade game for the life of me ...

EDIT(11/06/10): I have since earned the Nintendo Coin and beaten K. Rool (sometime last year), but I'm still missing a few golden bananas and banana medals.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby JadeRoseofChaos » June 25th, 2009, 11:31 am

10 years.

with many gaps inbetween play times
Tourist

Postby Chibisai Kong » March 1st, 2011, 12:47 pm

cfh wrote:Maybe I'll get an actual N64 some day :P

You know cfh, if you need to find a N64 you could always try CDs & More if there's one around you. For some reason, my old 64 wouldn't work when I put the game in---just DK64, nothing else. It kept on saying it was the pak in it but that wasn't what was wrong as it worked correctly with the other games. We FINALLY got another N64 in September of last year and I freaked. :)

As for me beating the game, no. But my brother did a few years ago. Then the game data got corrupted and we had to start all over. He got 101% that time. The surprise ending was hilarious. Too bad my mom missed it. She passed out on the couch from drinking too much Coca-Cola. :)

But seriously. I'm helpless against King Kut-Out (Kardboard Kut-Out(Fake K. Rool)) and almost beat him once but died. I just got the Rareware coin. Took me long enough. I even posted an announcement about it on facebook. :D

Some day I'll beat it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Ribbedebie » March 2nd, 2011, 2:08 am

It took me give or take six/eight years to beat the game and not even for 100 percent. Eh... I did however manage to get that wretched Nintendo coin, and that Rareware coin too, so I guess that deserves mentioning. :P

Been playing again lately, got 136 golden bananas yet. Woo!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Chibisai Kong » March 9th, 2011, 12:49 pm

Ribbedebie wrote:Been playing again lately, got 136 golden bananas yet. Woo!

Had you beat at one point by about 51 bananas.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Phyreburnz » April 21st, 2011, 7:17 am

I just played it and beat it again... for about the fifth time! My recent record is just over 19 hours.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Chibisai Kong » April 26th, 2011, 12:00 pm

Haha, dude how long has it been since I played? I guess before I lost my Sansa.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Chaquan » May 6th, 2011, 10:41 am

I started to really like this game. Sadly, never happened. I played until the boxing match with K. rolls, and get his original sight and weaving side to side....

Buy RS Gold,Rift Platinum,Rift Plat
Newcomer

Return to Donkey Kong 64