The DK rap was supposed to be a joke

Talk about Donkey Kong 64 for the Nintendo 64.

The DK rap was supposed to be a joke

Postby Blaziken257 » October 8th, 2010, 1:31 am

So, if you've played DK64 before, chances are that you've heard of the rap at the beginning. And it seems that everybody who's played it likes to make fun of it. It's common to hear people say things like it being the worst rap ever, or it being the butt of jokes.

Well, guess what?

It was supposed to be a joke all along. If you want to see for yourself, read the third paragraph here: http://grantkirkhope.com/donkeykong64.html

So, it was never supposed to be serious, but it seems that few people realized this. Furthermore, as silly as this is, I actually like this better than rap songs in real life. Maybe it's because the DK Rap sounds a lot different from actual rap (which leads me to believe that the aptly-named DK Rap isn't actually rap very much), and that rap is my least favorite music genre ever.

So... yeah.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: The DK rap was supposed to be a joke

Postby Chibisai Kong » November 28th, 2010, 8:50 am

Hey, as a kid that used to be the only reason I'd turn on the system!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Ribbedebie » December 25th, 2010, 12:07 am

To be honest, I was more interested in the fact that mr. Grant Kirkhope apparently did DK's voice. xD My mind has been blown!

But yeah, about the DK rap, I always assumed it was some sort of joke... because real rap is much more 'dark', most often about serious issues, and doesn't have monkeys.

But hey, at least I can say to this day: 'The only rap I like is the DK rap!' :lol:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Chibisai Kong » February 28th, 2011, 2:04 pm

Ribbedebie wrote:But hey, at least I can say to this day: 'The only rap I like is the DK rap!' :lol:

Hear, hear, Ribbedebie! Then again, T. I. and Justin Timberlake's 'Dead And Gone' was rather cute and you can't get wrong with Eminem and Rihana doing...

*Recieves glares*

...Too soon?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Tailikku » March 14th, 2011, 1:22 am

Ribbedebie wrote:To be honest, I was more interested in the fact that mr. Grant Kirkhope apparently did DK's voice. xD My mind has been blown!

No wonder why I prefer his old voice over Takashi!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Return to Donkey Kong 64