Which is the longest stage in the original Donkey Kong Land?

Talk about the Donkey Kong Land trilogy for Game Boy.

Which is the longest stage in the original Donkey Kong Land?

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » September 5th, 2009, 11:07 am

There are a few stages which to me seem quite long. By long, I mean physically, as in the width, not the longest time.
Freezing Fun (1-2), Riggin' Rumble (1-7), Arctic Barrel Arsenal (1-9), and Skyscraper Caper (4-5) seem reasonably long to me.
For the tallest, I'd say Deck Trek (1-4). As for largest, I'd say it's either Nautilus Chase (2-6), or Sky High Caper (3-5).

Also, on a slightly related note, if/when the DKC3 mapping is complete will you be doing the DKL series? I'd love to see the levels listed above mapped out, to really see how long they are.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Re: Which is the longest stage in the original Donkey Kong Land?

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » May 1st, 2010, 1:19 am

No one? I could watch some videos on YouTube of said stages and maybe use a very very inaccurate method of finding the rough length of the stages, and therefore find out which is the longest (i.e. widest). And that is to simply count the rough number of screens between the beginning and end.

And after doing so, I found out that:
1-2 Freezing Fun is roughly 30 - 35 screens (maybe 32-33). The video I used for Freezing Fun was Blaziken257's. I couldn't find Riggin' Rumble at least not by him. Really, we need a simple yet effective "camera position modifying code, or at least a code where you are invincible and can literally go ANYWHERE in the stage, i.e. EXACTLY like the debug modes in the original Sonic games (although you don't necessarily have to change into an object). If we were able to simple change the position of the screen (without having to worry about an enemy killing one of the Kongs), then well, mapping the stages would be easy. Just put the screen to the far top-left corner, and then take screenshots of the game by moving the screen a little further to the right each time, then repeat the whole stage, but roughly 1 screen down. Maybe about 70-90%, so you have a little bit of over lapping, to make sure you haven't missed a bit. I actually found it reasonably hard to count the screens of Freezing Fun, and I'm likely to have counted a screen when it's almost 2 screens, or possibly not even one.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Slipknot Darkrai » January 10th, 2011, 12:13 am

TUK I think Sky High Caper is the longest as it states on MarioWiki.
Tourist

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » January 12th, 2011, 5:37 am

"one of the longest levels".

Riggin' Rumble, Nautilus Chase, and Sky High Caper are ALL "one of the longest levels", I meant which is the longest stage?

The only way to find out is if the levels were mapped out. And the only way we could possibly do that is if we had some kind of code that made us invincible (or at least so that we could go through enemies), which we have..... (yay), as well as some form of screen position editing thingy so we could just move the screen around anywhere we wanted.

Unless there's away of extracting the "level data" in the ROM, and some how converting it to a full map some how?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Return to Donkey Kong Land