DKL3 glitches: Defeating water enemies without Enguarde

Talk about the Donkey Kong Land trilogy for Game Boy.

DKL3 glitches: Defeating water enemies without Enguarde

Postby Blaziken257 » November 8th, 2008, 11:22 am

Donkey Kong Land 3 seems to be the least buggy DK game made by Rareware, but I accidentally found a bug with Lurchin just now.

In Ugly Ducting, it is possible to defeat a Lurchin by jumping on top of it. Yeah, you read that right. You're probably wondering, "How can you jump on a Lurchin when it's underwater?" Well, right near the Star Barrel, there are a couple that touch the very top of the water. If you jump on the water and touch it at this point, you can defeat it! It's really difficult to do, though, but here's an animated GIF for your pleasure!

DKL3 Lurchin glitch.gif
Jumping on a Lurchin!
DKL3 Lurchin glitch.gif (248.32 KiB) Viewed 9918 times

By the way, this also works in the Game Boy version as well. (Not surprising, as they are identical gameplay-wise.)

Also, a variation of the glitch works with a steel barrel (I knew this when I first got the game, though). Since barrels don't float on water like they do in DKC3, it'll sink down, and if it hits an enemy, it'll defeat it. You can do this near Koin in the same level. Here's an animated GIF with a steel barrel defeating a Koco (If this is running too slow on your computer, let me know and I'll lower the framerate):

DKL3 Steel keg glitch.gif
Defeating a Koco with a steel barrel!
DKL3 Steel keg glitch.gif (254.92 KiB) Viewed 9917 times
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: DKL3 glitches: Defeating water enemies without Enguarde

Postby The Guy » November 8th, 2008, 11:58 am

Nice bug you've discovered.

I noted that in DKC2, you can make the Kaboom go underwater. If you go onto its head underwater, it will EXPLODE. (I think I once even defeated a Puftup making by blowing up the Kaboom underwater!
Veteran Venturer

Postby Qyzbud » November 9th, 2008, 10:03 am

Hey, that's a great observation, Blaz! I'm guessing you would take a hit if you jumped on a 'closed' Lurchin though - that's if they ever get close enough to the surface to be jumped on when in their closed state...

I was going to post about defeating the Flotsam at the beginning of Arctic Abyss in DKC2 with the Kaboom. =-p I think these unusual ways to defeat baddies are great - thanks for sharing!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Blaziken257 » November 9th, 2008, 12:34 pm

Hmmm, maybe I'll try it when it's closed and see if I can hit it...

EDIT: By the way, I now have a video up. Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB4hD80lNe4
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Return to Donkey Kong Land