Donkey Kong Land 2 & 3: Physics and oddities

Talk about the Donkey Kong Land trilogy for Game Boy.

Donkey Kong Land 2 & 3: Physics and oddities

Postby Blaziken257 » September 19th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Since I made one of these topics for DKL, I figured I may as well do one for DKL2 and DKL3. Since these two games have very similar physics, I decided to merge them into one topic.

- When cartwheeling/rolling/tail spinning, you will always pause for a moment at the end of a roll, even if you hit an enemy. Therefore, if you want to hit an enemy to go faster, you have to jump right before the end of the attack to cancel the pause.
- When Dixie does a helicopter spin, she will pause a moment upon landing. Therefore, you will want to let go of B before you hit the ground.
- Dixie can start a helicopter spin ANYTIME during her jump -- even when she just started jumping. This can be useful to make short jumps.
DKL3-a.gif
Instant helicopter spin.
DKL3-a.gif (58.84 KiB) Viewed 20444 times
- Dixie seems to slow down very slightly when doing a helicopter spin.
- If you hit the enemy at the very end of an attack, you will bounce a bit backwards.
- Like in Donkey Kong Country 2, there are stacks of barrels that can be used as platforms in the ship deck levels in Donkey Kong Land 2. Unlike in DKC2, however, you can jump on any of the barrels, not just the top ones. If you place a crate, barrel, or Klobber on a barrel that isn't the top one, he will fall below it.
DKL2-b.gif
Barrel weirdness.
DKL2-b.gif (89.61 KiB) Viewed 20445 times
- Enguarde can charge in DKL2, but not in DKL3.
- Squitter's webs and Squawks's eggs can go through walls in DKL2, but not in DKL3. However, this oddity is present in their respective DKC counterparts as well.
- Ellie can spit water anywhere, isn't afraid of Sneek, has infinite water, but cannot drag barrels.
- In DKL2, you can easily defeat a Klinger by going from the rope next to it to the rope that Klinger is climbing on, and touching the Klinger. This is probably because you can no longer climb two ropes at once.
DKL2-c.gif
Klinger weirdness.
DKL2-c.gif (75.62 KiB) Viewed 20446 times
- You can duck and do a roll/cartwheel/tail spin. This will do the attack while standing still.
- When rolling/tail spinning, you can defeat Niknaks from the side, similar to Neckys, Hogwashes, Mini-Neckys, and Flitters in previous games. You couldn't do this in DKC3.
- DKL3 has no auto-rotating barrels, barrels that move back and forth, or TNT barrels. This is the only game in the series (even if you count DK64) where this is true. DKL3 has no invincibility barrels either.
- In DKL3, you cannot ride a steel barrel.
- In DKL3, if you defeat Koin, you automatically collect the coin, as opposed having to collect it yourself. However, this was also true in DKC3 GBA.
- In DKL2, if there are many sprites on the screen, the game lags so badly that the screen cannot keep up at times. If you fall below the screen, you lose a life. This is also somewhat true in DKL3 (mostly the GB version), as well as DKL, and there are similar glitches in all three DKC games, but DKL and DKL2 are the worst offenders.
- There is no tag-team feature, possibly due to the lack of buttons on a Game Boy.
- DKL2 and DKL3 do not have any animal crates, only barrels. This is also possibly due to the lack of buttons on a Game Boy.
- Kiddy's roll is slightly floatier than Dixie's.
- Kopters can be defeated by jumping on them, or letting them hit and crash the ground.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: Donkey Kong Land 2 & 3: Physics and oddities

Postby Stone » September 20th, 2008, 9:16 am

Well done and in great detail!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Kiddy14 » September 20th, 2008, 2:10 pm

- In DKL2, you can easily defeat a Klinger by going from the rope next to it to the rope that Klinger is climbing on, and touching the Klinger. This is probably because you can no longer climb two ropes at once.

Maybe because the animation/physics used when climbing between ropes are that of jumping, and jumping defeats Klingers.

- Kiddy's roll is slightly floatier than Dixie's.

Just like Diddy's in DKL2. And/Or DKC2.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Kowbrainz » September 22nd, 2008, 1:14 am

Nice! I like the gif images; how'd you manage to make them?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Kiddy14 » September 22nd, 2008, 12:47 pm

He probably recorded AVIs with VBA and converted them to GIFs using a GIF Animator Program.

Another oddity: Carrying barrels' speed is an in-between running and walking speed. So when carrying stuff you're faster than walking but slower than running.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Stone » September 23rd, 2008, 9:21 am

The pictures look to clear to be an AVI, I think. I don't know if VBA supports recording like SNES9x and ZSNES, but he probably used something similar to to take a screenshot from every frame while playing it again.
And then the GIF animator thing you said :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Blaziken257 » September 25th, 2008, 2:30 am

Funny how this topic turned from being about DKL2 and DKL3 to how to create animated GIFs...

Anyway, you all have the right idea. I do create AVIs (for these, I use Microsoft Video 1 as the codec and set the quality to 100, because they're so short the filesize isn't too big of a deal), then I use VirtualDub to convert the AVI to an animated GIF. I often chop up the framerate to preserve the filesize of the animated GIFs and so that slower computers can handle them, though. Hehe.

--------------------

Kiddy14 wrote:Another oddity: Carrying barrels' speed is an in-between running and walking speed. So when carrying stuff you're faster than walking but slower than running.

Well, considering you have to hold B to carry a barrel, which is the same button used to run, it isn't THAT weird. Besides, don't all the other games (besides DK64) do this? (Besides, if you think THAT's weird, try playing Super Mario Bros. 2 and watch Toad pick up an item.)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Kiddy14 » September 25th, 2008, 1:40 pm

No.
Your speed is the same as running. Except in DKC3 where Dixie's speed is that of her walking, and is kind of a bug since Kiddy doesn't do that.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Return to Donkey Kong Land