Donkey Kong Land to appear in Japan's 3DS Virtual Console!!

Talk about the Donkey Kong Land trilogy for Game Boy.

Donkey Kong Land to appear in Japan's 3DS Virtual Console!!

Postby Blaziken257 » March 26th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Some people may know that the DKC games used to be on the Wii Virtual Console, but were pulled late in 2012 for no explicable reason. There was speculation that it had something to do with Rare being owned by Microsoft. Well, it appears that this isn't the reason, as the first DKL will appear on the 3DS Virtual Console in Japan! I'm not making this up. Here is proof:

http://search1.nintendo.co.jp/search/software.php?ac=search&release%5Bstart%5D=0&release%5Bend%5D=20&hard%5B10%5D=3dsVc&x=244&y=12
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_V ... e_releases

Even if you don't care about the DKL series, this should still be good news for everyone. This hints that the DKC series may reappear on the VC one day (perhaps on the Wii U)!

This also marks the ONLY time that any DKL game has been re-released in any way, shape, or form. The DKC games have had ports on the GBC and GBA, and releases on the Wii VC (or they used to), but this has never happened with any of the DKL games -- until now. It's nice to see that Nintendo still acknowledges them.

As a side note, I wonder if DKL will appear worldwide, and I also wonder if the other two DKLs will appear at some point as well. In particular, it would be totally cool if the GBC version of DKL3 were officially released in English! (Emphasis on officially, of course.) But that's a pipe dream, because I haven't heard of VC games being translated before. But I can hope!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: Donkey Kong Land to appear in Japan's 3DS Virtual Consol

Postby Gaz » March 26th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Awesome! I also do wonder if there will be an official English port of Donkey Kong GB - Dinky Kong & Dixie Kong... I hope they port Donkey Kong Country GBC. :)

Edit: Do you think Nintendo made any changes to this port?
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Blaziken257 » April 12th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Donkey Kong Land 2 was announced for the Japanese 3DS Virtual Console, with a release date of April 16. As far as I know, none of these have been announced outside of Japan yet. Now it's only a matter of time before DKL3 gets announced for the Japanese VC (of course, they'll get the GBC version).

And since the DKL games are on Japan's VC, a DKC GBC is certainly possible now. I wonder if it will happen.

I have no idea if this port has any changes, but it's rare (though not unheard of) for VC releases to have changes from the original games.

(I still pray for an official English DKL3 GBC... but I'm not expecting it to happen.)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Gaz » April 13th, 2014, 5:13 am

I'm sure everything will be okay, Blaziken. After all, it's good enough that the Donkey Kong Land games are getting Nintendo love again, right?
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Blaziken257 » May 2nd, 2014, 3:22 pm

And I am glad to say that Donkey Kong Land III has been announced for Japan's Virtual Console! It will come out on May 7th of this year. So this means that all three games have been announced in Japan! (Although, judging from the second screenshot, it looks like the world map animations are still missing. Darn it! Come on Nintendo, if I can make it work, then you can too!)

Now, let's hope that they will come out in North America and Europe now... Nintendo does generally release games much later overseas than in Japan, especially in North America, so it can still happen. I can hope! (And I still dream for an official DKL3 GBC in English, even if it's incredibly unlikely!)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Return to Donkey Kong Land