The DKL3 soundtrack topic!

Talk about the Donkey Kong Land trilogy for Game Boy.

The DKL3 soundtrack topic!

Postby Blaziken257 » March 17th, 2008, 4:56 pm

If you want to hear songs from DKL3, look no further! Here are almost all of the game's songs. I ripped every single song (except for the death theme, the Bonus Win theme, the Bonus Lose theme, and the End of Level theme), which is a fair amount. I used an accurate emulator (which is basically a rare version of VisualBoyAdvance) VisualBoyAdvance-M, which is accurate sound-wise (at least for GB and GBC games). It sounds a lot like a real Game Boy. Tell me what you think!

Here's the ZIP file containing the songs, most of which are roughly three minutes long:

http://rapidshare.com/files/100145498/DKL3.zip
New and improved link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ymmowylzzdf/DKL3.zip

EDIT: Updated link.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: The DKL3 soundtrack topic!

Postby Qyzbud » March 17th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Thanks for the link. I must say that the DKL3 music wasn't my favourite, but I'm gonna have a listen anyhow.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby CM August » March 17th, 2008, 9:28 pm

This is great, as I have not had the privelage to play DKL2 or DKL3. Rocking out to 8-bit Big Boss Blues.

Can you do DKL2 next? Pretty please?
Jungle Explorer

Postby Blaziken257 » March 19th, 2008, 9:50 am

My favorite song in DKL3 is the waterfall theme. It's also one of my favorites in DKC3.

Also, yes, I can rip DKL2 songs. So far, I have ripped the Bramble theme and the Ice theme (my two favorite songs). Want them now or do you want to wait for me to rip all of them in one ZIP file?

Also, one last thing... if the DKL3 music file ever gets deleted, tell me and I'll upload it on another site. Yes, one of my files on RapidShare has gotten deleted and banned in the past... :\
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Kowbrainz » March 19th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Rip the Vulture Culture tune from DKC on the Game Boy Color and I will love you forever. :)

That and perhaps some of the original tunes from DKL if nobody has already.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby CM August » March 19th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Blaziken257 wrote:Want them now or do you want to wait for me to rip all of them in one ZIP file?

I'd love to hear what you've ripped so far, provided it doesn't slow your progress down any. If it would slow things down, I'd be comfortable waiting.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Cody » May 4th, 2008, 8:40 am

Kowbrainz wrote:Rip the Vulture Culture tune from DKC on the Game Boy Color and I will love you forever. :)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/f8dec5/

Think it's about time to love me forever now? :mrgreen:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Kowbrainz » May 4th, 2008, 7:18 pm

Yesh.

Hugs please? :D

Now all I need is somebody to remix it, or arrange it at least. Eh, this will keep me happy for the next few years I think; no need to plug in the Game Boy and sit it on my desk on pause anymore. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Kiddy14 » June 20th, 2008, 2:47 am

Hey Blaz I cannot download the file. Even though I put the symbols with cats on them, it tells me this:

Error
You want to download the following file:
http://rapidshare.com/files/100145498/DKL3.zip | 47935 KB

The download cannot be provided. Please check, if your browser supports Javascript.

I tried it in both Firefox 3 and Internet Explorer 7 =/

EDIT: I made it, and when it was Happy hour! =D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Blaziken257 » September 15th, 2008, 1:04 pm

You know, maybe I should record better versions (by better, I mean with higher quality so it sounds more like it does in the game). When I made these files, I was new to converting WAV files to MP3 files, so I didn't know at the time how to increase the bitrate. As a result, the songs lost some quality. Should I do this all over again? I think it would be worth it...

Though, a downside to this is that the filesizes will be larger, but I guess I could shorten the songs by a minute or two to make up for it...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Raccoon Sam » September 16th, 2008, 5:33 am

The highest quality you'll get is a GBS, straight from the Penultimate GBS Archive.
It has GBS-packages of all DKL games' each and every song with seamless looping and perfect sound quality.
The files are also extremely small.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Blaziken257 » September 19th, 2008, 12:55 pm

Do I need some program specifically to play GBS files? I heard somewhere I do...

Also, I find it interesting that that site has music for both the GB version and the GBC version, even though the music is exactly the same in both versions. Weird...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Raccoon Sam » September 19th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Blaziken257 wrote:Also, I find it interesting that that site has music for both the GB version and the GBC version, even though the music is exactly the same in both versions. Weird...

Naw, there's an extra track in the GBC version as far as I'm aware.
You can find GBS players, (and even a Winamp plug-in as far as I know) from here.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Blaziken257 » September 19th, 2008, 2:41 pm

What's the extra track? Is it even used? Because I've gotten 103% many times in both versions, and I never heard an extra track.

And I'll try that link and see if it works :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Blaziken257 » September 21st, 2009, 7:33 am

Well, it seems that at some point, the file got deleted, just as I predicted it would. I needed to improve the quality anyways, so I ripped the songs from scratch. This time, I used VBA-M instead of a fork of VBA 1.8.0 to rip the songs, since VBA-M has better sound with GB/GBC games (and both of them have much better sound in GB/GBC games than VBA 1.7.2, which about 95% of VBA users insist on using, by the way), and when I used Audacity to convert the songs to MP3, I used a far higher bitrate (not to mention I used variable bit rate this time, which is supposed to be better). So now you can enjoy the songs in better quality! Also, this has the unused Rocket Run song, so you can listen to that too! It's only missing the Bonus Win, Bonus Lose, Life Lost, and Level Win songs, but I don't think anybody cares about those. So... here is the file!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ymmowylzzdf/DKL3.zip

The only problem with this is that due to the higher quality (and due to the extra song), the filesize is larger than the last one -- now it's 70.54 MB instead of 45.71 MB! But I think it's worth it.

And MediaFire has never deleted any of my files, so I don't think this one will go anywhere.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby nensondubois » December 10th, 2010, 3:17 am

Another good way to enjoy these soundtracks is to get a modded PSP and andd Game Music Emu and put the GBS in a directory. That's what I do.
Newcomer

Return to Donkey Kong Land