Very bad broken level maps

Talk about the Donkey Kong Land trilogy for Game Boy.

Very bad broken level maps

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » July 25th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Here's Freezing Fun:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?n2aq5os8f3cd624

I also have tried Nautilus Chase.

I used a very inaccurate method (OK it's not very inaccurate), but here are the general steps.

1. I played through the game with VBA re-recording, while recording a 'movie', with invincibility (Game Genie) so I can go wherever I want (or can) without worrying about getting hurt, and losing a life)

2. I then turned the sprites/objects off, so only the actual level is viewable, and then played the movie, while outputting the movie as an AVI

3. I used VirtualDub to export each frame separately

4. I used Screenshot Autostitcher 0.7 (created by Maxim, of SMS Power, maybe you've heard of him?)

With Nautilus Chase, the AVI was split up into 2 files, so I have to use Movie Maker to 'make' one file, which was WMV. Which VirtualDub didn't support, so I then had to convert it to AVI.

And... as I'm typing this, it's currently exporting the AVI to images, of each frame, of which there are over 29,000 since it took 13 minutes to reach every possible part of the stage I could get to.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Re: Very bad broken level maps

Postby Qyzbud » July 25th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Well, that definitely sounds like a quicker method than my manual screenshotting approach, but due to the lossy nature of video compression/conversion, I guess the resulting file would be more of a draft than a final piece... unless it's for an audience that doesn't mind a bit of blurring and other imperfections. Still, sounds like a good method for getting the level terrain/structure drafted quickly. :)

I'm very strongly considering hosting DKL maps on the soon-to-be-launched DKC Atlas HD rebuild, so if you (and/or others here) are interested in creating more DKL maps, that would be awesome. Thanks for sharing your mapping method with the community.

Screenshot Autostitcher sounds like it might be worth a look, too... thanks for the tip! ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Very bad broken level maps

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » July 25th, 2012, 1:50 pm

The good news is that it turns out I didn't need to convert the files.

And, the AVI is "Full Frames (Uncompressed)"

Also, here's Nautilus Chase (the purple parts are the parts I didn't reach):

Now if these were to be uploaded to VGMaps.com for example, obviously the gaps would have to be filled in, with the coral texture, and so that it matches correctly.

This is why I wanted to know if a 'free camera control', or something that allows to go anywhere, including through walls, and things, and reach every possible part of the game:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=673
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Return to Donkey Kong Land