Does it work?

Talk about the Donkey Kong Land trilogy for Game Boy.

Does it work?

Postby The Banana Bird » January 24th, 2012, 10:40 am

Do all 3 Donkey Kong Land games work on the Game Boy Advanced? I had this little cousin who wanted to play on my Game Boy, there were this Game Boy Color pokemon games that my cousin owned (Yellow and Gold). They worked on my Game Boy! Would the 3 Donkey Kong Land games work because I just ordered Donkey Kong Land 3 and now feel like an idiot since I did not ask this to you guys first.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Re: Does it work?

Postby Phyreburnz » January 24th, 2012, 11:01 am

All the DKL games will work in a regular Game Boy, a Game Boy colour, and a Game Boy advanced. They will not, however work in a DS. There are nubs that block the game pack from being inserted. But yeah, all Game Boy games will work in an advanced.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 24th, 2012, 11:22 am

Alright, thanks. Even though the pokemon games worked, I wanted to double check with you guys. Is that game good anways?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 24th, 2012, 11:37 am

They're all good games. The first, I think, is the best by far. The second and third are mostly Game Boy ports of DKC2 and 3.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cody » January 25th, 2012, 12:42 pm

The Banana Bird, where did you order Donkey Kong Land III from? Amazon has brand new, factory sealed, perfect-condition copies of the game for really cheap (in August '10 I got mine for around $14, plus shipping).

Phyreburnz wrote:They're all good games. The first, I think, is the best by far. The second and third are mostly Game Boy ports of DKC2 and 3.

Eh, "port" is a pretty rough term. DKL2 is similar to DKC2 in almost every possible way, but then you've got Land III, which is practically a new game. I mean, sure, all of the characters, environments, music and enemies/bosses come from the game, but it's incredible what they did with 'em. They managed to get creative with the archetypes and make the gameplay exciting & unique. Heck, even the level names were good! Miller Instinct, Footloose Falls, Ugly Ducting :lol:

And, for a game whose musical foundation relied more on sound design instead of intricate, catchy melodies, DKC3's score was ported to the Game Boy absolutely magnificently by (according to the credits) Eveline Fischer. It actually made me really appreciate the source material by tenfold (despite liking it, I never particularly cared for it in reference to DKC and DKC2 until hearing how in depth the music really was on the SNES).

It's a true mystery how the game is so much more pristinely produced than DKL2, because DKL III is simply a glorified ROM hack as evident by the Diddy balloons and nearly-identical coding.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby The Banana Bird » January 25th, 2012, 1:06 pm

I got mine off Ebay. $7.50, free shipping and handling. Tooken out, used about 4 times and then put back into the box with everything. It is getting shipped with manual box and everything. I think the 1st land though is alot different. It has a whole new world and archetypes, also enemies.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Return to Donkey Kong Land